PDA

View Full Version : Another Flexishaft question?

rmacke
06-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Has anyone had the Silencing Spring for the Flexshaft break??
How long are they supposed to last?
What causes it to break and how do I prevent it from breaking again?
I have lubed the shaft with molly every 15 hrs –I have 56 hrs on cut motor.
Thanks rmacke

Kenm810
06-03-2008, 07:00 AM
rmacke,

I've never read or heard of the spring breaking.
I have seen posts where the spring has fallen out on the floor and stepped on,
while preparing to lube the Flex-Shaft.
It sounds like it might be a good idea to call one of the techs at LHR
and explain it to them and have them send you a new spring,
56 hrs on cut motor is well within the Machines Warranty.

Ps. unless you feel it's really needed, 15 hours is quite a short time between lubes.

liquidguitars
06-03-2008, 10:57 AM
One of my CWs has the end of the spring snaped off but still works ok.

LG

rmacke
06-04-2008, 01:01 AM
I called the techs at LHR .. they said flex shafts only have a 10 hr Warranty.
They also say to get the Silencing Spring- you have got to buy a new flex-shaft for $75.00..not happy with this.. They said the springs always got damage in shipment, because of the flimsiness of it..
Liquidguitars how short is your spring? Mine broke about 3 inches off--I wonder if using shorter spring will hurt anything?
rmacke

liquidguitars
06-04-2008, 01:12 AM
Just the tip came off so it not that bad, I have about 500hrs on the busted one . :)

LG

David Myers
06-04-2008, 06:54 AM
I faithfuly lube, dry and reinstall my flex shaft when ever I feel that it is getting warmer than usual. Now my question is the QC mount seems to be getting hotter lately. I have removed the shaft and the mount bracket and wiped out around the top of the bearing but it still seems to be getting hot. I'm just wondering if I'm going to get a bearing failure soon?

David

Jeff_Birt
06-04-2008, 08:14 AM
Yep, your top spindle bearing is toast. This is caused by over-lubrication of the flex shaft (been there myself).

David Myers
06-04-2008, 10:21 AM
OK, if it's on its way out, is this some thing I can fix my self or do Ihave to send it back to LHR. Is it a press fit, does it use shims, do I have to remove the entire z truck?
I'll call LHR tonight and try to get the part. My machine is still under warrant.

Thanks for the help..

David

David Myers
06-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Jeff,

I just got off the phone with tech at LHR.

He informed me that heating up was normal and that when it did fail during a carving that I would have to send the machine back to Texas as there are no user replacement parts they would send me and that they would have to do the work.

The last time I sent it to them UPS nearly distroyed the machine. The box and foam are toast I will have to buy a new box and foam for $76.00 from them before I ship it. It has taken me months to get this thing to the point that it is carving very reliable I can only guess what trouble I will have if I have to send it back.

So for the time being I will keep carving until the bearing goes out and takes something else with it.

David