PDA

View Full Version : My Frist Project (Litho)

Glennyoder
06-01-2008, 09:22 PM
Here are some pictures of a litho I made for my grandaughter. Thanks to (Dougmsbbs) for guiding me through this. What I learned from him in a few days would have taken me 3 months.
I put the box together with all the joints made with miter lock cuts. I used a spring loaded magnetic catch for the latch.

Glenn

Glennyoder
06-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Here is a picture of the miter locks I used.

mtylerfl
06-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Here are some pictures of a litho I made for my grandaughter. Thanks to (Dougmsbbs) for guiding me through this. What I learned from him in a few days would have taken me 3 months.
I put the box together with all the joints made with miter lock cuts. I used a spring loaded magnetic catch for the latch.

Glenn

Beautiful job! I especially appreciate the miter lock method of joining the box together - nice tip!

LittleRedWoodshop
06-01-2008, 10:15 PM
is that hot glue holding the lithopane in....

Glennyoder
06-01-2008, 10:56 PM
No its clear silicone, just on the 4 corners. That way she can change pictures.

SandBuoy
06-01-2008, 11:54 PM
Very Nice litho and box Glen. I am sure she will appreciate it and would love to see her face when you first light it up. Thanks for the miter lock joint tip to. Can you show a picture of the bit you used for it. Also where did you get that light set up. Look to be a flouresent tube style.

Glennyoder
06-02-2008, 12:09 AM
I gave it to her today for her open house. She loved it, there were over 400 people there. Everyone loved it.
The light is the flouresent tube style puck light from Menards, I just took the clear rubber cover and glass off.
Here is a link to the lock miter bit #R3362. It can be a pain to set up at first, but I use it a lot, so now I have a few setup tricks.
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11372

Glenn

jackssib1
06-02-2008, 07:12 AM
Thanks, I'm going to try one, waiting for order to come in.
Jack

Kenm810
06-02-2008, 07:30 AM
Glenn,

Great Project, and Really Nice Display Piece
A gift your Grandaughter will long remember.

beachman
06-02-2008, 07:57 AM
hope my first turns out as well as this one did,still working on getting the corian

bdehoyos
06-02-2008, 08:07 AM
How did you prepare the picture for importing into the designer?

karossii
01-09-2009, 03:23 AM
Hi! I am new to this forum, and still waiting to receive the CW I just ordered earlier today! I am excited; can't wait to start carving!

I have a question; is that lock miter bit used in the carvewright? If so, how do you set that up - do you just install it and then tell it to route the edges as if it were any other bit? That would seem to be a wonderful aid in making frames/boxes of many kinds!

Thanks!
- Ken

DStimpson
01-09-2009, 06:07 AM
Very nice project, I'll bet she was thrilled!!

Can you give us the particulars on the carving? How big is it, what depth and height settings, how thick is the material, and what is the material?

It would be apprciated. And again, nice project.

mtylerfl
01-09-2009, 08:24 AM
I have a question; is that lock miter bit used in the carvewright? If so, how do you set that up - do you just install it and then tell it to route the edges as if it were any other bit? That would seem to be a wonderful aid in making frames/boxes of many kinds!

Thanks!
- Ken

Hello Ken and Welcome!

I don't think that he used that special miter locking bit in the CarveWright machine (would void the warranty if anything went wrong).

I imagine he ran the wood strips through a conventional router table or perhaps he used just a hand-held router with the wood strips clamped down on a worksurface- at least that's what I would certainly do - it's faster, more efficient, and no risk of warranty issues for your machine. (BTW - Only bits that are expressly endorsed by CarveWright should be installed in your machine while it is still in warranty.)