PDA

View Full Version : Fuzzy

JBNDB
06-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Hello!
I am getting ALOT of fuzzy carvings. I have tried changing wood , But I get the same thing. Bit is newer, less than 20 hours use. It is progressivly getting worse. I have the bit optimized, and everything set to BEST. Any one else ever encounter this?
I would attach a picture, But this site will not allow me to.

TerryT
06-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Make sure your bit is seated in the QC properly and there is no play. Try to wiggle it to make sure it isn't moving.

JBNDB
06-01-2008, 06:48 PM
I never thought of checking that, but it was not loose in the holder or loose in the machine. I just checked it. Would it be possible for the board sensor to get so dirty it goes"blind" ? It is ALWAYS on the left side and usually the left diagonal carving is the worst. By left I mean as you are standing over the machine and it is feeding left to right, in the X axis.
I am going to order a new bit today. Anyone have a good place to purchase one.
Thank You!
Jamie:-)

castingman
06-01-2008, 07:05 PM
What type of wood are you useing ?
Michael

JBNDB
06-01-2008, 07:23 PM
Maple, Pine, Foam (pink), ash, & MDF.
I just checked for "BB" marks. There is what looks like to me normal wear. Color is rubbed off, but no real wear!
Any Idea's?

AskBud
06-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Did this project begin from a photo, or did you design each cut?
AskBud

JBNDB
06-01-2008, 11:05 PM
All the text is from inside CW, as is the background.
I have not used anything other than textures, out of CW's stock pictures, so far.
Maybe a new bit will fix the problem. Do you know of anyone sharping them?
I appreciate all the help!
Thank You!

TIMCOSBY
06-02-2008, 03:34 AM
are end mills and were designed to cut metal so they shouldnt be dull till way after a 1000 hours. you got something else going on. how small are the letter? maybe post a mpc and let someone else cut a portion of it.

Amonaug
06-02-2008, 11:35 AM
I get the same fuzziness on the same side on my carvings. I chalked it up to it being normal. Are you guys saying you shouldn't get that?

I just thought it was due to the bit spinning CCW and moving from the far side towards the keyboard thus not leaving a clean path as it seems to only happen on the trailing side of the bit.

I've just been sanding/filing it off although I don't think mine were as bad as it is in that picture.

JBNDB
06-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Hello!
The attached photo is a complete picture of the piece. I also attached the carve file for someone else to test. This was a test piece for a sled that I built last weekend. I have alot of scraps that could be used, For smaller projects. The more I check, the more I am convinced the bit is dull.
I have ordered another bit, so maybe this upcoming weekend, I will try it with a new bit. I will let everyone know how it came out.
Thanks to everyone for the many things to check and all the information.

bjbethke
06-04-2008, 05:15 PM
I tested your MPC; your carving may have had less fuzz then mine.

The first two photos were taken right after carving. The last photo was taken after clean up, about a min. or two, with an air driven sander I made shown in last photo.

I used a scrap of walnut. The carving and cutout bits are up-spiral bits and are known to leave the fuzzes on the top of the board. If you would use a Down-spiral bit it would be packing the chips into the carving.

The clean up was easy –

I used two sheets of cloth backed sandpaper, (grit 150), cut into 1 inch strips, punched a hole in the center and mounted the strips on a spindle. Two to three inch long strips work the best. I made theses sanding spindles about four months ago, they last a long time and they sand and buff the carving at the same time.

Kenm810
06-04-2008, 05:59 PM
bjbethke

Thank for the good tip on the home made sanding mops.
I’ll have to dig out a couple of my Air Die Grinders and put them to work.
I’ve got a few ¼” arbor spindles and some 1 ½” x 50ft rolls of both 150 and 220 grit sanding cloth
that I can cut to 3" and split at ¾”. ---- A little More Hi pitch noise for the shop. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

bjbethke
06-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Ken; I forgot to add, Place two strips (with the sandpaper back-to back) at a time on the spindle. Place the next two back-to-back strips as an X, add enough strips to make the total stack about one inck thick. This will keep your mop in shape when you use it. You will need to break it in by using it for a few days before you get the buffung action. I tried other systems but this one works the best. If you want to make a larger mop you will need to add some plastic washers to hold it in shape. I used this system to clean up my turnings and carvings with my Legacy Ornamental mill, I have the small mill, the Revo. It's great for making table legs and work benches. I bought the CarveWright to make the table tops. I'm having more fun with the CW then the Revo, and I would not have found this Forum with out buying the CW. Thanks everyone.

Kenm810
06-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the follow up on the mop

I had zoomed in on your #3 photo
and had a pretty good look at how
you put yours together. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

Thanks Again

Audie
06-06-2008, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the tip on the sanding mop! I am making one now...

beachman
06-06-2008, 09:28 AM
thanks for the tip,will be very helpful

Kenm810
06-25-2008, 12:00 PM
BJB,

I had some Time Monday while I was waiting for my machine to finish carving a project.
So I gathered up the stuff I needed to make a couple for the sanding Mops you described in your earlier post.
I made one for my wood carving and another for my cold castings.

Thanks Again for the Info It's broken in now http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

Amonaug
06-25-2008, 12:41 PM
BJB,

I had some Time Monday while I was waiting for my machine to finish carving a project.
So I gathered up the stuff I needed to make a couple for the sanding Mops you described in your earlier post.
I made one for my wood carving and another for my cold castings.

Thanks Again for the Info

You might want to cut slits in the ends of the sandpaper so you get 3-4 "fingers" on each. This will allow it to conform to the shape you are sanding.

Kenm810
06-25-2008, 01:08 PM
Kevin,

Yep your right, I have a thin bladed Chisel and a set of sheers I use to cut sand paper and sanding cloth,
I'll plan on doing that little extra cutting hmmm -- as soon as I find them. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif -- OK -- Which one of you Guys was in My tool box again!