PDA

View Full Version : Another discussion related to bits

cdg
05-31-2008, 03:54 PM
Before I start my discussion, this being my first post, I will introduce myself briefly. Skip this if you really don't care who I am. :D

My name is Craig, I own an interest in my caving machine with my Dad - we got a killer deal as part of the Craftsman club. I'm 20 years old and going to school to become a shop teacher. I enjoy working with my hands, and have been working as a mechanic since I was a little boy. The fascination with wood came around 7th grade when shop class was the only thing I was much good at. I'm hoping to teach wood shop although I could teach auto and metal shop thanks to my welding "hobby" that has become more of a job as of late. Other passions include motorcycles (rebuilt a '74 Suzuki TS 125, waiting to get my hands on a TS 400), Photography (all film), Cinematography (regular 8mm movie), computers (build ITX rigs), guitar (acoustinc or electric), and probably too many other things to list.

Right now I'm playing with the machine, but I'd like to investigate making it into a potential business. Had one breakdown that was handled admirably by LHR tech support (shout out to Phillip) :) I had the opportunity at my old job to go to Georgia Tech where I learned the Alpha CAM system and was able to learn a lot about the Morbidelli CNC machines. I have to say that these machines, while much faster and designed for production level work still involve a steep learning curve and frequent maintenance and occasional breakdowns just like this mini machine does.

OK, the intro is over, those if you caring to read about my real question, you can start here.

As I'm learning the machine I purchased all of LHRs own bits. But now that the backup bit was broken in the machine when the QC adapter failed, I am going to purchase another 1/16 carver bit. For that matter I want to eventually replace all of the LHR bits with ones that are made in a different country. In CNC operations, I've always been somewhat "loyal" to Onsrud products. I'll be waiting for the warranty to expire before trying any of this to avoid any complications with tech support.

So does anybody have any good bit sources for bits that aren't made in China? Any sources for bits that you feel may offer improvement over the LHR bits in some particular way? I have not yet found the LHR bits to be at all lacking in quality, as I said, I'm mostly just looking for USA, Germany, or Italy bits. Incidentally Craftsman shows two different Freud made cutters as being compatible with the machine. I believe they will likely be made in Italy.

Seeing the CarveWright really makes me excited as in many ways it is quite revolutionary in the CNC world. A step in the right direction from an industry that relatively speaking is still in its infancy.

liquidguitars
05-31-2008, 04:44 PM
Welcome to the Carvewright user's forum!

(rebuilt a '74 Suzuki TS 125,

ya cool! if i recall the TS 125 has the high and low pinon gear shifter on the side.. I had the '74 TS 90 setup for dirt.

I have to say that the 1/16 1/8 cut bits are very nice and of good quaity, but as far as replacments bits for the "1/8 cut" I have not a clue on a non OEM replacment if any.

LG

castingman
05-31-2008, 05:39 PM
Welcome

Why do you want to replace the bits?

Michael

cdg
05-31-2008, 08:14 PM
Hmm, the TS 90 is something of a different animal than my 125. The 125 came with a 5 speed but no dual range transmission. The 90 and at least some of the 100s came with a 4 speed but dual range. The TC series all had 4 speed dual range transmissions as well, at least up to the 185 I saw once. I don't think they ever did a 5 speed dual range. They are fun old bikes. The engine rebuild occured in my dorm room on the odd late nights I would have the time. :)

About the tools:
I'm not on a one man crusade here, I'm just fairly certain that most of the LHR bits are produced in China and I would prefer to find a substitute made elsewhere. Don't want to start a debate over the quality because I have no beef with the quality of the bits here. Plenty of China bits are good quality. When I started working I had almost no money and bought myself a Ryobi router bit set. As these bits have burned out (takes a long time), I replace them with Porter Cable or Freud bits mostly.

I guess I just like having things that aren't made in China, hence why nearly all of my professional tools carry names like SK, Bosch and even some Snap On whenever I can afford it.

I've also read some things about 1/8" shank bit holders. Since I don't think LHR has any 1/8" shank bits, there must be some place that people dig out alternative bits.

www.go3d.us
05-31-2008, 08:23 PM
Welcome to the forum.
HT

castingman
05-31-2008, 08:27 PM
That works for me, I've redone 46, 49 & 51 Harleys, Old biker i guess.
Michael

Digitalwoodshop
06-01-2008, 08:27 AM
As far as bits go... The 1/16 and 1/8 are solid carbide and I have been using the same bits going on over 800 hours with no problem. The V60 and V90's could use a good cleaning and sharpening.

I say go with what works. I did just replace every bit holder the other day after changing the QC.

Sounds like you will make a GREAT Shop Teacher.

Welcome to the forum.

AL

hotpop
06-01-2008, 09:17 AM
cdg,

Welcome to the forum.

I've also read some things about 1/8" shank bit holders. Since I don't think LHR has any 1/8" shank bits, there must be some place that people dig out alternative bits.

Look up forum member Ron Justice. He manufactures 1/8" shank bit holders for the CW.

DocWheeler
06-01-2008, 11:04 AM
cdg,

Welcome and thanks for the introduction - you may be interested in adding to the "What is your expertise" thread!
As HotPop said, Ron has bit-holders. What he didn't mention was that Ron also has bits! (at least he did the last that I heard)