PDA

View Full Version : If I were to redesign the Spindle.....

Digitalwoodshop
05-30-2008, 09:35 AM
I went to change out 2 QC's this morning and after careful heating I promptly snapped off the tip of my square drive tool..... Lucky for me I bought 3 last time. So off to # 2 and that did the job and I replaced the chuck on a LHR Spindle as they put the QC on last time. Off to the second one and after careful heating promptly broke tip #2 off with what I thought was not that much force. Then heated more and I put #3 on and promptly snap that one too.... Then I remember I gave away my LHR Square Allen when I met some fellow carvers.... Thinking I would never need it.... SO one machine is dead in the water.... Glad I bought that 3rd machine this week....

SO.... If "I" were to redesign the spindle I would make the shaft 3/16 inch LONGER and include a 7/8 NUT built into the shaft on the Shaft just UP from the QC. This would let you use 2 wrenches to remove and install the QC. This would prevent the damage of the Square Drive Socket End and make for a less frustrating changing of the QC.....

It would be a EASY upgrade for LHR..... Sending copy of this to Support.

Lucky I ordered a replacement Z Spindle yesterday just to have one....

I need to find a #3 Square Drive.... I hear they work.

:) AL

Digitalwoodshop
05-30-2008, 10:34 AM
I found some #4 Square Drive tips and will give them a try.

I think I was looking for .155 measuring the old snapped off tip. They were 2nd Generation tips too.... I snapped the 1st generation the first time I used it.

A #3 is .133 and a #4 is .191

So the #3 might be too loose rounding the spindle and the #4 might be too big... Rather too big and hone it down to fit.

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/HX-0430/Square-Driver-Bit-Ball-Detent

I still think a 7/8 square drive nut built into the shaft would be the real answer here...

AL

liquidguitars
05-30-2008, 11:02 AM
I use the 1/4 steel bar sold at the hardware store with a
"t" handle for a tap and die set. grind down the 1/4 stock to taper. if it snaps just grind more away.

http://liquidguitars.com/saltdot/QCTWrenchR001.jpg

LG

Digitalwoodshop
05-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Now that's an idea..... Now visualizing that I had a thought..... What about the square drive END of a TAP..... Us Vice Grips to hold the business end of the tap......

Thanks,

AL

liquidguitars
05-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Like the nut idea..

The 1/4 stock is not that bad and works, I sand the end down a bit without getting the stock hot so it keeps it spring "I keep the stock long so if it snaps you just grind down more" then fit the tapered stock into the tap handle and away i go..

you have 3 units now? I will need a better working rig to hold one more :)

LG

Dan-Woodman
05-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Al
Taps are too britle to use vise-grips on the business end, they will break.

I don't think they could build a 7/8" nut on top of the shaft, as I think this is the end that has to go through the bearings. Maybe just make the shaft longer and put a flat on each side that a wrench would fit onto.

Any one else got some ideas. After all , we are all beta testers to something so new.

later Daniel

Digitalwoodshop
05-30-2008, 04:24 PM
Dan,

That was what I was thinking, at the QC end... A 3/16 inch longer shaft and a square place on that end. I know the Square Drive End has a C Clip then it pushes through the spindle. I must not have been clear. Two wrenches at the bottom would work just fine... Just like removing a Router Bit from a Standard Router.

I went ahead and changed every bit holder today, 12 in all of the bits that I have been using for 800 or so hours.... I put a V60 in the new QC and I could feel the wobble.... So I knew it was time to change them out... I saved them just incase... someday..... But they were pretty beat up.

AL

Dan-Woodman
05-30-2008, 04:34 PM
AL
Now I see , that is a terrific idea . It's so easy to put two wrenches together and sqeeze together. Thanks for clarifieing.
later Daniel

sirsumm
05-31-2008, 09:47 AM
I would like to see an option to completely do away with the QC setup. If they would make an "ER" style collet holder on the spindle, the possibilities for additional tooling and rigidity would be endless. We use allot of the Rego-Fix collets in the aerospace shop I work in, they seem like they would be the way to go to me.

http://www.rego-fix.com/collets/

I used a square drive screwdriver tip the times I have removed my QC, didn't even have to heat it. I must be lucky I guess.

Jason

liquidguitars
05-31-2008, 02:58 PM
The OEM QC has a lot of glue and can be a #$@!# to remove from the spindle, after that life is good :)

http://liquidguitars.com/saltdot/QCmadnessR002.jpg

LG

Digitalwoodshop
06-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Got the #3 and #4 Square Drive and it looks like another waste of money. The #3 are too small and the #4 are way too big and will need grinding down trying to not remove the hardness.

This method using a square drive to remove the QC just makes me sick... It's like holding the car fan belt while removing lug nuts.... I wish someone would make a aftermarket Spindle Shaft with a Square Nut to hold the shaft on the QC end.

RJustice put me on your Beta Spindle List.....

The only savings grace is the extra Spindle I ordered showed up today so I will swap it to get my 2nd machine operational.

AL