PDA

View Full Version : Bits taking a plunge

ChrisR
05-29-2008, 12:10 AM
I was using my CompuCarve to run a cutpath when it suddenly got hot, began to smoke, and displayed a "Y-axis stall" message. I hit the stop button and turned things off as quickly as I could.

After removing the board, I put another piece of wood into the machine and ran a board measurement to see if the y-axis motor was working. It was successful, so I chalked the problem up to the board and quit for the day.

I started a new project tonight. The carving bit took a plunge straight through my project (it was such a pretty piece of rosewood, too!) so that the flat of the bit shaft was hanging on the wood. It generated a "Y-axis stall" message again.

On a piece of scrap wood I tried a different sign project that I have cut successfully in the past. My 60 degree V-bit was the next to take a plunge.

None of my bits have broken, but something is wrong with the machine. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

hotpop
05-29-2008, 06:22 AM
Chris,

You better call LHR about this one. Sounds like your "Z" pack or "Z" motor may need replacing.

Eagle Hollow
05-29-2008, 07:03 AM
I was using my CompuCarve to run a cutpath when it suddenly got hot, began to smoke, and displayed a "Y-axis stall" message. I hit the stop button and turned things off as quickly as I could.

After removing the board, I put another piece of wood into the machine and ran a board measurement to see if the y-axis motor was working. It was successful, so I chalked the problem up to the board and quit for the day.

I started a new project tonight. The carving bit took a plunge straight through my project (it was such a pretty piece of rosewood, too!) so that the flat of the bit shaft was hanging on the wood. It generated a "Y-axis stall" message again.

On a piece of scrap wood I tried a different sign project that I have cut successfully in the past. My 60 degree V-bit was the next to take a plunge.

None of my bits have broken, but something is wrong with the machine. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Chris,

I had the same problem yesterday. Phillip, at LHR, walked me through a series of tests that resulted in me tightening the Y axis drive belt...Instant fix!!!

Call LHR You will probably be up and caving in short order.

Good Luck. Please post your solution.

ChrisR
05-29-2008, 08:08 PM
Mel and Jerry,

Thanks for your responses. I'm an evening hobbyist, so I'll have to wait to call LHR this weekend. I'll post the solution when I have one.

ChrisR
05-31-2008, 10:45 AM
I spoke with Marcus in support today. They are sending out a Z pack replacement for my machine and I should have it this week.

Thanks again for all of the input. This is a very helpful community.