PDA

View Full Version : First Real Problem

Jossef
05-28-2008, 05:07 PM
I just carved a pattern and all went well. Then I cut the board with CW. When I tried to cut the other end. I turned the board around, measured and when the CW went to cut I got a clear board sensor message. I cleaned the machine and tried again. I then got an error 246. I then cut the board on my table saw and then tried to rout the board. All went well till I got a could not find board edge message. What did I do wrong?!!!

Digitalwoodshop
05-28-2008, 07:36 PM
Dark wood? A piece of masking tape on the board will help.

Check the board sensor with a sheet of white copy paper on the board and using options and sensor check look at the board detector data. A 150+- is GOOD.... a 35 is bad with white paper.

The board sensors can go bad due to vibration call LHR and get one if needed.

AL

Jossef
05-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Yes it was dark wood. I have been using walnut. Does the tape need to go on the top of the wood or the bottom. I am not even sure where the sensor is located.

ralphhood3
05-28-2008, 09:45 PM
Well since my sensor just went out last weekend, I can answer your question :-)

The sensor is above the wood directly behind the cutting bit / quick change bit holder. It's mounted to the bottom of that assembly with 2 screws. Basically if you raise the head of the machine all the way up and look at the bottom of where the quick change bit holder is you'll see a small bump behind it that's the window for the sensor with a phillips screw on each side. It's the only plastic on that assembly so you can't really miss it.

Jossef
05-28-2008, 10:04 PM
Checked my sensors and with white paper my reading was 148. Without the paper just using the walnut board it was 35.
It seems that my problem is the walnut wood. Does more light in the shop help? My garage can be like a cave sometimes, with very low light.

fwharris
05-28-2008, 10:23 PM
Good lighting will help you out. Makes it easier for not only the sensor but you as well.

You still might need to use the tape as suggested.

Checked my sensors and with white paper my reading was 148. Without the paper just using the walnut board it was 35.
It seems that my problem is the walnut wood. Does more light in the shop help? My garage can be like a cave sometimes, with very low light.

LollyWood
05-28-2008, 10:45 PM
I carve a lot of walnut and if my gizmo is inside (when it's 110+ outside) I set a shop light over it to add light for the sensor. Also you'll need to add some masking tape over your board where the sensor will be checking width and finding surface. I use a strip of 3" under the Y axis ensuring the sensor is on the tape. I love walnut and use it in lots of projects.

Hope this helps. :)