PDA

View Full Version : Two Piece Sign Panel

jssperdute
05-27-2008, 04:46 PM
OK, I thought I had it all figured out, but i guess I was wrong.

I designed a sign in Corel. Basic sign shape with a raised border around the outside and some text in the middle.

The total height of the sign is around 25 inches and the width is around 39.

I am cutting this out of HDU.

I imported the design in the the software, moved the sign around on my board to show the bottom half and uploaded it to the card.

I did a save and named my file 12Top. Did a save as and named the next file 12Bot. Moved the sign around to show the bottom (and a little extra for trimming) and uploaded it to the card.

Carved the first half of the sign....looks great.

Carved the second half of the sign and they are not the same size. (Width)

The raised border on the top half is 3/16 or so narrower than the border on the bottom.

I looked at the design dimensions on both and they are both 39.615 inches.

I am baffled.

Any input?

Thanks in advance.

hotpop
05-27-2008, 05:08 PM
jssperdute,

I have made several two piece signs and both halves always lined up. Perhaps there was a little pinching on one of your halves.

www.go3d.us
05-27-2008, 06:47 PM
My suggestion for those who do larger size is to carve each element separately cut it out and glue it on a large board. It save time and a lot of headache.
HT

jssperdute
05-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I may try the second suggestion about making smaller elements and glueing them together. I think that would work great in this case.

I can't believe I never thought of it. I am a signmaker (part time hobby/business)....I do the same thing with vinyl everyday.

Thanks again......This board is in-valuable.