PDA

View Full Version : Corian Box

jpeter14
05-27-2008, 09:27 AM
Had some half inch corian given to me, kinda marbled so made this little box. the legs "feet' are carved on machine and gold leafed.

Eagle Hollow
05-27-2008, 09:35 AM
Excellent!

Kenm810
05-27-2008, 09:40 AM
jpeter14,

Great idea, and nice job
It's got me thinking about some
1/2" Black marbled Corian I have.
Thanks for Sharing

SandBuoy
05-27-2008, 09:43 AM
Very nice work. I also have a lot of 1/2" stock peices I needed some ideas on. Thanks for sharing.

Amonaug
05-27-2008, 12:08 PM
What can I say? That is simply beautiful!

STEAM
05-27-2008, 01:16 PM
That's a nice piece of artwork. Good Job.

b.sumner47
05-27-2008, 01:23 PM
Words, don't have to be said.Capt.Barry

beachman
05-27-2008, 01:54 PM
Very nicely done

mtylerfl
05-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Had some half inch corian given to me, kinda marbled so made this little box. the legs "feet' are carved on machine and gold leafed.

Hello jpeter14,

Very nice! What are the box dimensions?

David McVicker
05-27-2008, 02:29 PM
What a great piece of work. I appreciate the pictures. However, I have a question, how deep did you carve? (My depth was 1/4") I too made some corian boxes similar to yours and in the process put such a strain on my quick change collet that it was ruined. I don't think I did anything wrong, but carving in Corian puts a tremendous stress on the machine. Anybody with any other thoughts on this?

Eagle Hollow
05-27-2008, 02:39 PM
What a great piece of work. I appreciate the pictures. However, I have a question, how deep did you carve? (My depth was 1/4") I too made some corian boxes similar to yours and in the process put such a strain on my quick change collet that it was ruined. I don't think I did anything wrong, but carving in Corian puts a tremendous stress on the machine. Anybody with any other thoughts on this?

David,

I have experienced the same thing. Carved about a dozen pieces @ 1/4" and ended up replacing the QC AND the flexshaft. This also resulted in making firewood out of some other pieces. I'm going to limit the depth to 0.125" on any other solid surface material carvings I do.

mtylerfl
05-27-2008, 02:48 PM

Hello David,

At this time, the current recommendation from LHR is not to carve more than 1/8" deep in Corian.
Here's the quote from LHR regarding plastic materials the machine can carve...

Plastic
"Suitable carving plastics include polycarbonate (Lexan), cast acrylic (sign makers plastic), and Corian (acrylic base). Most other plastics such as Nylon, ABS, and extruded acrylic (Plexiglas) tend to melt and gum up because the melting point of the material is lower than the temperature generated at the bit tip when carving. The great thing about cast acrylic and Corian is that they come in many different colors and opacities.

Note that the machine is always expecting soft material like wood as the carving medium and will automatically set the speed and feed rates based on this expectation. Therefore it is very important to keep any carving in plastic to less than 1/8” deep. Deeper carving will put excessive load on the machine by trying to push a bit through this hard material and can cause damage.

The only bit currently approved for plastic is the tapered carving bit. This means that some functions will not be available to you when using hard plastic. Do NOT use any machine function that employs a bit other than the tapered carving bit when using plastics. For example do not use decorative bits or the cutout function on plastics.

Also remember to clean the machine very thoroughly when using plastics. The 'dust’ and chips produced can damage drive components and belts."

Router-Jim
05-27-2008, 05:08 PM
That's a beautiful carve. Nicely done. :cool:

Dan-Woodman
05-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Did you also do the mitered corners on the cw?
later Daniel

fwharris
05-27-2008, 06:58 PM
I also tried doing some corian and even with vacuuming it out every 5 minutes I had several shifts in the carving caused by the dust. These carvings look great but I am going to stick to wood!

jpeter14
05-29-2008, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the nice compliments, sorry for late response, am on the road. Daniel, I cut the miters on my compound miter saw. I think I did carve 1/4 inch deep, don't think it hurt the machine but will stay with 1/8 in future. Thanks again

bdehoyos
05-29-2008, 08:02 AM
per the user manual:

"
Note that the machine is always expecting soft material like wood as the
carving medium and will automatically set the speed and feed rates based
on this expectation. Therefore it is very important to keep any carving in
plastic to less than 1/8” deep. Deeper carving will put excessive load on
the machine by trying to push a bit through this hard material and can
cause damage.

"

leesheridan
05-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Nice use of materials. Also the thought of not going beyound 1/8" is good to remember