PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collector Connection

jssperdute
05-26-2008, 12:20 PM
Has anyone considered putting a dust collector port on the clear safety cover? I have a delta AP400 dust collector that i think would work very well if i could connect it on the cover side of the machine.

I thought about buying an extra cover and cutting a hole in the one that I have. I could even cap it when not connected.

I use a lot of HDU to make signs and the dust is outrageous.

Anyone have any other tips?

I always connect the dust collector to the muffler side, but that route doesn't allow alot of dust to escape.

I just got my machine and have been very pleased to date.

I'd really like to see the software support DXF or DWG file (since it's what I do for my fulltime job.....maybe a little selfish there)

Thanks to everyone for the great advice here.

Jim in PA

Amonaug
05-26-2008, 12:52 PM
Doing a search on dust collectors should yeild quite a few threads with examples from members. Someone did rig a collector on the cover side.

hotpop
05-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Jim,

Look up Digitialwoodshop recent posts. Al has a nice shroud through the cover you should look at.

I'd really like to see the software support DXF or DWG file (since it's what I do for my fulltime job.

Export you CAD files to BMP format then you can bring them in a paint program erase the background and convert it to a PNG file. You can then import it into Designer and scale it.

bizbiki
05-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Jim,

I built a platform for my CW using 2x8s lying on their sides secured to a piece of 1/2 plywood, mirroring the footprint of the CC. I then secured the CC to the lumber. I used a drill then a jigsaw to cut a hole near the center of the plywood and attached a dust collection port. I then used foam tape to seal all the seams.

This set up seems to work great, I get very little dust anywhere on the machine with the exception of the ledge ajacent to the cover itself which can be vaccuumed out ez after the carve. But there is very little dust elsewhere in the machine.