PDA

View Full Version : Check Cut Motor Message

jerrbitt
05-25-2008, 06:32 PM
I’m attempting to follow instructions from LHR concerning a problem I’m experiencing with the cut motor. Just before beginning to carve after the machine checks the board depth, I get a message to “check cut motor.” After I hit enter to proceed, the machine carves but intermittently, the carving speed reduces and then returns to what I believe is normal speed.

LHR instructions indicate the problem is with the RPM sensor, Magnet or AC cut off switch. They say to check the magnet, go to the options menu –0 then 7 and cursor down to the cut sensor test. I do this and the display reads “Probe State: Open and Cut Sensor: 0. I proceed to turn the Q/C and do not get a reading. On a search of the forum, I understand I should get a reading of 1.

Instructions then indicate and this is confusing “ Get the customer’s AC Cut Motor magnet to repair the magnet and install the retainer (A2011). If No [and I presume this means if I did not get a reading] then check the AC Cutoff Switch."

Further instructions follow depending whether the machine fails or passes this test.

Question where is the AC Cut off Switch and how does one access it?

Jeff_Birt
05-25-2008, 06:46 PM
The reading you get should be '1-0-1-0-1-0......', in other words you should see it change states as you rotate the chuck. When the machine is running the computer counts these pulses to know how fast the cut motor is spinning. If you get a reading stuck on '1' or '0' then your magnet or sensor is bad.

jerrbitt
05-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Appreciate the quick response. So I don't have to fool around with the AC switch and based on what you said, the problem is with the magnet.

Here's what LHR said about the magnet: Does cut motor spins?

?

If YES then the problem could be the RPM sensor, Magnet, or AC cut
off switch ( there is a sleeve on the magnet on the 503 models: no need to
check magnet on the 503 or above).

And even though I love to tinker with machines, I try to avoid errors by getting as much information as popssible -- don't believe in reinventing the wheel. I did a search but found nothing so I would appreciate information concerning replacing the magnet. Where is it and any tricks in R&R it? Ditto for the RPM sensor.

As always, your advice is much appreciated.

Jeff_Birt
05-25-2008, 07:19 PM
My guess is that it is the magnet. I found the following with a quick search:

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4274&highlight=anatomy

ANd by searching for 'magnet' (look at post 11):

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6292&highlight=magnet&page=2

Digitalwoodshop
05-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Jeff is right, it's the magnet and I posted pictures in the links he posted. One correction is when you spin the motor with each revolution in options, check sensor data, cut motor. It will count 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 with each revolution, not 1, 0, 1, 0... Slight correction... I know this from the other day when my machine activated to cut motor when ever the cover was closed. I was looking at the sensor data and turned it checking it for Philip at LHR testing it. Closed the cover and the motor started and the counter went from 2 to 900 in a few microseconds. (Had a broken C1 on the X Tremination Board causing the Cut Motor to run ALL THE TIME.... A Future L2 type problem due to vibration).

Good Luck....

LHR will send you a magnet or a motor to fix the issue. It won't hurt to use it in the mean time and have some fun carving.... It's a nuisance alarm....

AL

aparks
05-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Just FYI, LHR wouldn't send me just a magnet. They want to send the whole motor plus the speed sensor.

Allen