PDA

View Full Version : Anatomy of the Cut Motor X Termination Board

Digitalwoodshop
05-20-2008, 03:19 PM
I started a new post on my Cut Motor Running all the time problem of this weekend.

First off I found that I have been posting possibly wrong info numerous times about the X Drive Motor. In the past I believed that the X Drive Motor was a 115 VAC Drive Motor due to the weigh it moves and the board that feeds it has a 115 VAC source on the board. That is WRONG, I think.....

What I found today is the Q1 Transistor on the Heat Sink on the X Termination Board is the Semiconductor Switch for the Cut Motor NOT the X Drive..... :(

The X Motor Drive comes from the Computer and is part of the bundle of wires from the Computer to the X Drive Termination Board. It comes in on the J2 and goes back out on the J1. There are some other components involved U1 and U3 along with the rectifier U2.

So at this point I am not sure..... Need to look up the components....

But the important thing I found is that the Semiconductor Switch or Q1 was not Shorted causing the Cut Motor to run all the time.... It was GOOD.... Checking all the other semiconductors and resistors and found they were fine. When I checked C1 the Big Brown Capacitor I found it had a broken lead. This is looking like a similar problem to the L2 Power Supply Coil Problem with vibration causing the lead failure.

I re soldered the lead and my machine is back cutting as Normal.

So I would expect others might be seeing this problem at some point in the future.

You saw it here first....

Happy Carving..... The Bummer of this is this is on my Machine that has about 175 hours on it not my 575 hour machine......

AL

forqnc
05-21-2008, 06:42 AM
Maybe your terminology scared a few off of posting Al :)

Thanks again for a very informative and helpful post, I especially appreciate the time you take for posting pictures and labeling.

DocWheeler
05-21-2008, 07:16 AM
Thanks Al,

After taking photos of the few remaining items, I hope that you edit and compile your work and make it available to us in one document.

Digitalwoodshop
05-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Great Idea....

AL