PDA

View Full Version : Bit Can't find board

jwhllh55
05-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Small problem..
When I have a project that calls for a 60 degree V bit and the bit finds the bit plate and moves twice like normal, but when it comes over to touch the board it's stops about 1/16th before the board. It will do that three times and then it will call for the same bit, over and over again.
I have cleaned the QC and Head area and lubed the rail. The movement of the head is normal and works fine.
It seems the sencor is being tripped to soon, by dust or something.
Any ideas would really help..
Thanks to all.
John
Baker City, OR

Icutone2
05-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Hello, Mine did that to me one time ago, reloaded project to the card and it came out fine. Hope that will help, worked for me.:-D

dougmsbbs
05-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Mine did that after I had some trouble cranking the head up and down. I re-leveled the head, and it went away.

Not sure if that will help you any....

jwhllh55
05-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Mine did that after I had some trouble cranking the head up and down. I re-leveled the head, and it went away.

Not sure if that will help you any....

I think that is my problem. I'll try to get the head straight and try again.
Thanks, Good idea..
John

Digitalwoodshop
05-19-2008, 08:41 PM
Are you carving in a recess area? You can select the text then select the V60 and see if there are any numbers in the depth box? With Centerline there will not be but with outline you can adjust the depth.

The V60 not touching the Bit plate can cause this too. Is the bit plate bent UP by chance?

Good Luck,

AL

jwhllh55
05-20-2008, 02:24 AM
Are you carving in a recess area? You can select the text then select the V60 and see if there are any numbers in the depth box? With Centerline there will not be but with outline you can adjust the depth.

The V60 not touching the Bit plate can cause this too. Is the bit plate bent UP by chance?

Good Luck,

AL

After talking with a very helpful tech at LHR, I bent the bit plate down just a touch and reajusted the head level (it was out about a 1/4"). I don't understand why the head keeps getting out of place, but it's not a problem fixing it. I then check the bit itself and found it had slipped about a 1/32" up. I reapplied locktight and started the project over again. No problems to speck of. But after about two projects I'll have to reajust the head and continue on.

The sawdust continues... I just wish there was a better design for a down draft system. I have built two different tables with a down draft and hooked it up to a 2hp Jet Dust Collector. If the board is fairly wide the saw dust stays on the board and doesn't go down like I thought it would. :?

Thanks for the help.
John Hammett
Baker City, OR

Digitalwoodshop
05-20-2008, 09:18 AM
I use a top suction and a bottom suction with good removal. I see some use a right side suction cutting a 4 inch hole in the right side panel.

AL

dougmsbbs
05-20-2008, 09:57 AM
My CW was having a lot of problems with the head getting out of level.
I don't know if anyone else has had this same thing happen to them, but if so, here's something to check:
When I pulled the bottom off, I found that the small screw that holds the cross shaft in place on the side away from the keypad was loose. The tower it mounts in was cracked, and the screw would pop out a bit, letting the gears jump a tooth now and then. I epoxed it in place, and use the one on the keyboard side to re level the head. Now it seems to be working okay.
Just something to watch for...

I think that is my problem. I'll try to get the head straight and try again.
Thanks, Good idea..
John

Kenm810
05-20-2008, 12:09 PM
jwhllh55,

Just a little food for thought, this is what I use

Dust collection (http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7101&highlight=side+vent)

It's 4 weeks later now, and I can still say it works like a Dream.