PDA

View Full Version : poll to vote on

Baumer
05-18-2008, 10:29 PM
Do you think that the 30 day frree trial software should be free forever.

1) Yes
2) No
3)Don't matter to me.

badger
05-19-2008, 01:26 AM
Just curious as to what your reason is for needing it forever? You dont plan on purchasing the machine then what do you need the program for?

SilentBob
05-19-2008, 01:40 AM
My thought is like badger. Carvewright offers the trial as a sales aid, why would they want to give that up and what would be the purpose of anyone having the software only?

Rmduval
05-19-2008, 05:17 AM
If you want it free forever then Carvewright should charge you to download the trial software. This looks like a case of someone wants something for nothing.........

ChrisAlb
05-19-2008, 05:28 AM
In a way, it already is. When you buy the machine, they don't charge you "extra" for the trial software you've downloaded.

Now if the question is based on "needing more than 30 days" to learn it, maybe you could call LHR and ask for an extension period. I've never heard of this but they are pretty great folks so...maybe.

kyeakel
05-19-2008, 06:38 AM
I'd like the software to be free. Since someone needs a machine to really make use of the software, why not remove the time restriction? I'd like to have my father run a copy and make some of the designs he wants me to carve. I don't really have the time to do them. Since I already have 2 computers running the S/W I guess I'm stuck. It's a bit tough for a novice to learn the features of designer and design worthwhile projects in the 30 day time period.

Kipp

ChrisAlb
05-19-2008, 06:52 AM
I'd like the software to be free. Since someone needs a machine to really make use of the software, why not remove the time restriction? I'd like to have my father run a copy and make some of the designs he wants me to carve. I don't really have the time to do them. Since I already have 2 computers running the S/W I guess I'm stuck. It's a bit tough for a novice to learn the features of designer and design worthwhile projects in the 30 day time period.

Kipp

Hey I'd like all software to be free...lol.

I see what you're saying but you hit on in your first line. Then someone who didn't actually buy it, could use it. If you don't have the time, maybe you could let your dad use one of your copies to learn it.

Also, to me, without actually having the machine and using it (Practice), I think it would be hard to design good quality carves in Designer. I had both the software and machine and it took me months to learn how to "know" what I saw on screen, would actually come out nice on the wood...lol

deemon328
05-19-2008, 07:00 AM
The software is useless without the machine, so I don't see the ponit in charging for it. However, I have no problem with the 30-day trial if you haven't purchased a machine; that's more than enough time to learn it.

What's worse is that we're gouged for fundamental features like centerline. I'm all for paying for pre-made patterns to plug into the software, but unleashing crippleware on CW purchasers is maddening. My fear is that every feature update down the line will have to be purchased like centerline.

Just stating my opinion, not trying to start an argument.

ChrisAlb
05-19-2008, 07:08 AM
Hey deemon,

I don't know. Centerline is like an "add in" package like you have to buy for many apps out there. While it would be nice if it were part of Designer, I can kind of see their thinking on it.

I've never been charged for Designer "upgrades" and I've been through them all. Now if they add new features to it....hey...I had to pay for a "newer" upgrade version of Paint Shop Pro three times over the years. Same with almost every program I own. Over the years they improve and you have to pay to upgrade to the latest.

Baumer
05-19-2008, 12:41 PM
I can't afford to buy the machine, but I would still like to be able to design something and have some of you guys carve it for me. Also if you had a friend or company you was doing buisness with, it would be nice for them to take their time to design something instead of you takeing up your time. I'm sure that you would probbably have to tweak it a little for them but at least it would be less of your time.

Steven

badger
05-19-2008, 01:23 PM
Also if you had a company you was doing buisness with, it would be nice for them to take their time to design something instead of you takeing up your time. I'm sure that you would probbably have to tweak it a little for them but at least it would be less of your time.

Steven

Thats part of the business for those of us that do this commercially. Company's wanting something usually pay you to do the work for them. Thats the business part.

jackssib1
05-19-2008, 02:57 PM
This gets others able to play with 1st. then they buy CW, if they like.
Jack:)

pscychnurse
05-19-2008, 04:04 PM
I have the free trial software and have designed several items, the point is until I actually carve them I wont know how to tweak them or if my whole concept on how the software is "supposed" to work is correct.... just my opinion. It's like me (a non-builder) reading blue prints and knowing exactly how the building is going to be

LittleRedWoodshop
05-19-2008, 04:31 PM
I guess what we're all missing in regaurd to all of this is the COST factor, what did LHR spend to develope this software that you think they should give away.

Centerline wasn't cheap to develop, I'm sure, and it totally changes what the machine can do (shortening run times and saving us money) so the initial cost was minimal.

Nothing is FREE, everytihng has some cost associated with it. Good luck with your campaign to get this software for FREE (hmmm you already had it for 30 days).

sweliver
05-19-2008, 05:02 PM
If you don't have a machine who care's if you can screw around with Designer forever? Until you carve a project you have no clue what your theoretical design will look like. Anyone with a machine or following the forum will know who the posers are.

If LHR wants to charge for upgrades that include ALL ptn's from version .00001 to version 1K then that's fair. I don't want to pay for upgrades to the newest version that don't include all previous versions....from the point I bought my machine I should have had ALL previous ptn's. Then, with paid upgrades, I get all the new ones.

sw

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
05-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Then another $100.00 for centerline. Which was basically just an unlockable aspect of the program. I bought it because i was unable to make small text. So should i buy more add ons for the machine to expand its limitations which i expected it to do in the first place. If it is there policy that they are selling a stripped down software package then selling add ons then they need to let the buyer beware in the first place that hey this is all the machine does unless you fork out some more cash to unlock the rest of the software. Kinda like me selling you a hammer and your under the impression your gonna go home and hammer nails but when you get home you find out it only hammers my brand of nails and im the only seller of these nails. Then it wont hammer the nail all the way in until you buy the special handle which only i sell. Thats my take on the situation. And no i wont charge you for my opinion.

LittleRedWoodshop
05-19-2008, 06:41 PM
Some of you are forgetting that Centerline is an Add-on. It wasn't available when I bought my machine.

So LHR is supposed to eat the developing cost and give away their software.

I think you guys are being just s little unrealistic. You are going to be hard pressed to find any company that gives away their software that isn't gaining something in return (MICROSOT). I think the costs associated with this machine are in-line and I am glad that they continue to upgrade the applications.

Amonaug
05-19-2008, 07:00 PM
I can say from personal experience that what you see in designer is not always what you get. Why? Well today I was carving a pattern and a 1 pixel border around the pattern which I didn't see UNTIL I carved it produced an unexpected result. So JUST having the software isn't all that useful.

bdehoyos
05-19-2008, 07:48 PM
From an IT point of view the software is the equivalent to a printer driver,
The printer does not work with out it and the software is worthless without the printer , I’m jet to find a single printer manufacture that charge for their software.
For that reason all the software for the machine should be free to those how own a machine. At least as long as the software is only useable for this machine

SilentBob
05-19-2008, 08:00 PM
From an IT point of view the software is the equivalent to a printer driver,

But Baumer has indicated he would like to make money off the back of this software if it were free. Can you do that with a printer driver?

Baumer
05-19-2008, 09:04 PM
I was thinking of things I want for myself, and it's nice to be able to see the projects that you guys create. It sux sitting here reading these things and not being able to see what you guys are talking about.

ChrisAlb
05-20-2008, 04:10 AM
I have to agree with Badger. I get paid for design time as well as actually "making" the item. Now I've had folks explain, sketch or draw things they want but when it comes to putting it to wood, I'd spend more time "tweaking" their designs than doing it myself from scratch. Not a very efficient path in business.

Unless they really knew what they were doing in Designer which to me, you just can't without having gone through the trial & error learning curve "with" the machine, I think it may be a nightmare.

bdehoyos
05-20-2008, 06:44 AM
The software is a “means to an end” HP scanners come with a very powerful OCR software, COMPAQ pc,s come with a very powerful recovery software (you can install a new n HD and with a few clicks the OEM OS and software is reinstalled automatically this task is a nightmare with a DELL PC ) digital cameras come with a photo editing software.
The software becomes the means to sell the machine all this companies distribute the software for free, the software is useless without the machines all software upgrades are for free and here you get to pay extra for it (text editor and ptn editors)

05-20-2008, 10:22 AM
Look my opinion is that if it were an upgrade that enables the machine to do what it was supposed to do in the first place or fix glitches or make the program more user friendly then no there shouldnt be a charge. And realize there is all kind of companies that offer free upgrades because they want you to experience the new technology and continue to use their product. Now if carvewright came out with a pro version that added new dynamics and tools and ease then sure charge for it. I am very happy with my machine and the software but if there was such a company that offered a full blown software option that had capabilities of some of the other cad software and designer software I have seen was compatible with carvewright i would buy it. So if you dont think you should get free upgrades then you shouldnt get free upgraded board sensors and other parts for your machine under warranty right? Same concept

sweliver
05-20-2008, 06:12 PM
So if you dont think you should get free upgrades then you shouldnt get free upgraded board sensors and other parts for your machine under warranty right? Same concept

I'm having a hard time following the logic on this thread. But then again I'm a dull tack.

If Microsot has been giving away upgrades from Windows 95 to 98 to 2000 to Vista, I've been getting robbed. I'm not an Apple guy but does Apple upgrade you to the next version for free without buying a new computer?

HP has all kinds of free driver downloads but my old HP 320 Cse can't use any of the new ones.

So what good is free if you can't use it?

Wintopo has a free (limited) vectorization program...you want more control it's $400+ for the pro version. And the same with most programs.

So if there's free stuff out there I want it. All you all - quit holding back and give me the links.

sw

05-20-2008, 07:27 PM
It was only my opinion, you were very articulate in demeaning my perspective, but failed to provide your own. Hmmm. The quote you posted was my "analogy" of the situation supported by my opinion. Sorry i dont have any links but try google you can find free upgrades as well as free software, depends on what your looking for. Thanks...

Digitalwoodshop
05-20-2008, 07:50 PM
I bet if a School had a machine or two with a kids program and a classroom of 30 computers. I bet CarveWright would give them programs for 30 computers so a class could design stuff then later carve it.

Think of all the future "Christmas Presents" the kids would be asking for.... MOM.... Can I have a CarveWright for CHRISTMAS???? SEE what I made for YOU.... at School.....

Attention MARKETING ?????

AL

badger
05-20-2008, 09:17 PM
I bet if a School had a machine or two with a kids program and a classroom of 30 computers. I bet CarveWright would give them programs for 30 computers so a class could design stuff then later carve it.

Think of all the future "Christmas Presents" the kids would be asking for.... MOM.... Can I have a CarveWright for CHRISTMAS???? SEE what I made for YOU.... at School.....

Attention MARKETING ?????

AL

Not sure Im following anyone either. Above you mention If the school had the machine. The beginning post mentions he doesnt. I beleive the question is why give a free program away if they are not getting the machine and do not intend to get the machine. The original poster stated he has no intention at all of purchasing the machine.

I think it would be a different story if a school purchased a machine and the school was asking for the software to load on their computers at the school.

Everyone can input their own opinion but when you start adding what if questions into the factor then your just opening it up to more then just one answer.

SilentBob
05-20-2008, 09:55 PM
Also if you had a friend or company you was doing buisness with, it would be nice for them to take their time to design something instead of you takeing up your time.

Steven

I apologize for misinterpreting your statement.

LittleRedWoodshop
05-21-2008, 01:45 AM
actually pay more for machines then you can order it say from me.

A school pays around 2800.00 dollars and the software can only be loading unto 10 pcs, so lets stay away from that aspect.

And lets not speculate on things that we know nothing of.

The original question was, "Should people that have no intention of purchasing a CarveWright/CompuCarve machine be aloud to use the software (FREE OF CHARGE) forever?" So lets stay on that subject.

fwharris
05-21-2008, 01:53 AM
LHR has the trial version of the designer software available for a future, possible customer to evaluate. If at the end of the 30 days, one has the option of buying the machine and activating their license agreement to use it. The software is for the machine and the user who owns the machine.

Now when one does own the machine, as far as I know all of the upgrades are and have been free. Centerline is an add on, not part of the actual program.

Besides, why would you want just the steering wheel if you do not have the car?

badger
05-21-2008, 04:17 AM
Baumer,

One who usually puts up a vote should in my opinion at least give their argument instead of just starting a poll. Im still curious why someone that does not intend to purchase the machine want the program free forever.

Just to follow what were talking about here on the forums isnt really a valid arguement.

I have no reason to hide behind my vote which was no.

If you would like something designed then all you have to do is ask. If your worried about paying for mailing then all you have to do is head over to www.CncArtGuild.com and find out who lives in your area. Im sure they would be happy to help you out with any projects.

05-21-2008, 08:09 AM
Great job of moderating there "little red woodshop", gotta love em he's always got all the answers. Back to the subject at hand is.
"Sure they can charge or not charge for the demo software, but it seems the better marketing would be offering people the ability to see what they are buying and have a hands on expeience with it."

Jeff_Birt
05-21-2008, 08:13 AM
Alright guys, this has gone too far. As this thread has wondered hopelessly from the OP's question I am closing it before the urination match gets worse.