PDA

View Full Version : Possable stepping problem?

Taloth
05-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Been digging thew the forums trying to find a solution for my latest problem with no luck so thought i'd just post and pray.

Went to carve out a pattern today for a medicine cabinet and everything went smoothly till it started cutting out the final shape on the side pieces. The length cuts were fine but the end cuts were stepped down....effectively I lost about 1/4 to 3/8 off one end and gained the same equal amount on the other end. I thought maybe something was binding so I blew and vaccumed everything out and loaded up the pattern for the doors. Again everything was fine till it came time to load the ogee bit to cut the grooves for the raised panel effect and decorative edging. Again I got the same stepping effect only I relized something that tells me its not just a slippage problem. The steps are the exact width of the ogee bit. So I looked at the other steps and sure enough, they were the same width of the cutting bit. It appears that on each pass of the end cuts, the machine is moving one bit width farther. Since I wasn't watching the project at the time (because the first pass around was dead on so I went to get a drink) the doors are totally ruined and I'm not risking loosing more wood till I get it fixed, obviously lol.

Anyone else ever seen this? Any simple solutions or do I have to call in for repairs?? :confused:

bayea
05-18-2008, 03:17 PM
I have the same problem. I have no idea why it is doing this or how to fix it. Anybody have any ideas?
/12358 12357

mtylerfl
05-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Are your boards at least 7" longer than the "fake" board you used when laying out your projects?

Projects MUST be kept under the rollers at all times to avoid problems. To do that, you must place a board into the machine that is at least 7" longer than the design layout. (Alternatively, you could use a carrier board or jig to bring the dimensions to the required oversize amount.)

Not saying (necessarily) that this is the cause of your problems, but I have talked to "a zillion" folks that have had the same type of issues and I usually discover they didn't follow proper procedure (board too short). After they start setting up their projects with a proper length board - their problems usually "go away"!

Also, I should note that you can actually contribute to mechanical malfunctions if you do not use boards with the added 7" length or follow normal setup procedure. Tipping, shifting of the boards due to short length, or binding of the boards due to bad edges or guideplate too tight, can certainly lead to more serious problems for the machine.

bayea
05-18-2008, 03:56 PM
Yes the board was long enough

mtylerfl
05-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Yes the board was long enough

Ok, so your board was at least 7" longer than your design layout, yes?

If so, then you need to check a few other things...

1) make sure the brass roller board sensor rubber ring is in place and not damaged in any way

2) make sure your board edges are clean and square

3) make sure the guide plate is not TOO TIGHT against the board

4) check for any stray debris that may be interfering with the board travel or the Y/Z truck travel

5) check that the sanding belts are not damaged or "rolled up"

hotpop
05-18-2008, 05:18 PM
bayea,

Your problem seems to be side stepping. This is usually caused by dust accumulating on the "Y" rails. The rollers get stuck on the build up then the gear belt jumps a tooth.

Turn off the machine then push the truck back and forth on the "Y" rails. If it feels rough wipe off the rails. I use #0000 steel wool. Check your "Z" rails also. I would also remove the dust covers and clean them the reinstall them.

hotpop
05-18-2008, 05:32 PM
Taloth,

I wouldn't fool with it. Send an e-mail with your pictures to LHR tonight (support@carvewright.com). Tomorrow morning wait a few hours for them to get their coffee and Monday morning meetings out of the way then call them. Let them know you sent an e-mail with pictures. They can pull up the e-mail and see the problem.

bayea
05-18-2008, 07:56 PM
fingured out the problem.

In my case it was one of the traction belts. I replaced one of them and it carves great now. after wasting four carvings. :(

mtylerfl
05-18-2008, 11:05 PM
fingured out the problem.

In my case it was one of the traction belts. I replaced one of them and it carves great now. after wasting four carvings. :(

Glad you were able to find and fix the problem. Great job!

Digitalwoodshop
05-19-2008, 08:43 PM
The Y belt being loose can cause that too, plus I had a bad Y gear box too that caused it.

AL

dench
05-22-2008, 06:35 AM
i had the problem only when i use mirror all on projects i redid it whith out mirroring and it did fine

mtylerfl
05-22-2008, 10:22 AM
i had the problem only when i use mirror all on projects i redid it whith out mirroring and it did fine

I'm afraid that doesn't make much sense to me - I don't see how mirroring could cause stepping. Have you spoken to LHR Tech support about that? If not, I would certainly suggest you call and tell them what you have observed and see if that's even possible.