PDA

View Full Version : can someone help me here ?

bamaman315
05-17-2008, 06:43 PM
here is a picture of the sides of a gunrack, can anyone help me in gettting this into designer program to cut out?

Digitalwoodshop
05-17-2008, 06:59 PM
You can really do this yourself.... It's easy.... Turn on the Grid and center it. Set the blocks to 1 inch and re draw it with the Connect Line tools.

The only trick is that all the red nodes must be connected like Christmas tree lights to use the cut out tool. So always go to the end node and hold the new line over it until the node lights red telling you it will connect... Go from node to node drawing it. Connect the last node to the first node then press escape to disengage the connect tool

You would have FUN doing this and it would be a shame to waste the opportunity to learn..... It is really EASY..... As you go along ask questions you have.

Good Luck,

AL

I drew the Quilt Rack with the grid.... EASY..... Got carried away making stuff.....

The "EASY Button" would be NO fun...... Go for it......

LollyWood
05-17-2008, 09:38 PM
Nice. That's what I truely love about this place. We can all learn as we go.

Al,
Once I get a design grided to the dimintions I want, how do I get the the cut path to see the out line of the pattern to cut it out? :)

LollyWood
05-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Hey.
What do ya know I figured it. Just use that botton under tool..ya know.."outline pattern'"

God I suck..hehehehehe :rolleyes:

Digitalwoodshop
05-17-2008, 11:09 PM
That's the trick.... Good Job !!!! Where most like myself run into problems is not connecting the nodes as you go and at the end you look for Cut Path and it is not avaliable... Because it's not a complete path...

I needed a circle and a rectangle cut path for the clock below. First I tried the Half Circle for the 9 to 3 part of the clock and it got the top half. Then I connected the 9 part of the node and tried to make a half circle to the intersection of the rectangle. Could not get it to work... Then I took the circle function and placed one point at the 5 and the other at the 8 and I got the circle I needed. I then connected the node and drew the box connecting at the other end of the circle. Almost like manually tracing it but easier....

I drew a separate arc at the bottom and set the depth to .020 with a 1/8 cutting bit.

Is that for Swords or Guns?

Good Job,

AL

I have had 2 PM's about painting the letters. I use Latex Paint and just slop it into the letters and numbers. Then keep cleaning them out to not get a pool. After dry I sand with a palm sander. You could plane it but I lost too many by taking too much off.... Don't use spray as it is thin and wicks up the grain. You can also spray sanding sealer into the letters to seal the end grain then paint and sand.... Or use a mask. I like the laser mask, a 6 inch paper based mask from www.laserbits.com

Major_A
05-17-2008, 11:48 PM
For a cutout you only want the shape so delete the carve from your project.

Example:
Outline the pattern and use the cut path tool. After you have the cut out go to your carving list and delete the carve. This is basically be a scroll saw cut.

This isn't exact but it should work. All I did was download your picture, delete the background, import the image, outline the design, use the cut path tool and deleted the carve.

larry711
05-18-2008, 05:09 AM
good morning to all.

when a pattern calls for a drill does it have to be a carvewrite drill? or can i use any drill. i know i have to use write diameter.

ChrisAlb
05-18-2008, 05:39 AM
good morning to all.

when a pattern calls for a drill does it have to be a carvewrite drill? or can i use any drill. i know i have to use write diameter.

Hi Larry,

You use the cut out bit (Straight 1/8" cutter) for drilling holes. You can't use an ordinary drill bit as the CW goes in a little, then move in a circle to get the diameter of the hole. Then it goes in a little more and repeats.

Regular drill bits don't cut sideways and as such will damage the machine. When it comes to drilling holes I use a drill. It's much faster than the CW.

Paul Brown
05-18-2008, 08:36 AM
I haven't done much research, I was wondering how you get your text to follow a pattern. Like the name of the company on the face of the clock. Like "Fire Signal". How do you get the text to follow the same shape as the carving? I've come across this once before and was gonna design something on a banner and then got sidetracked. Too many other things I've spent time making and have'nt sat down and took the time to figure it out. I'm sure it's simple but just usually have other things to build for family, glad I don't have a big family. lol. Could someone take a few minutes and explain how to do this layout? Thanks in advance, some very talented and incredible people on this forum. Paul Brown

RayTrek
05-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Gi-Day
I would put the pattern in a carve region to give it some shape and then cut out with a jig saw seems like to much use on the machine that I want to save for carves But if I did use it I still would put in carve region and then outline pattern and use cut path/flip cut.
Just another way to look a it.
Ray

Kenm810
05-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Hi Paul,

I quickly put this .mpc file together for you to play with and get a feeling for using the Arc degree functions in the Text Menu.
Click on any of the text in the .mpc and the text box will open to show how it was done.
Hope this helps a little

Paul Brown
05-18-2008, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the help.

bamaman315
05-18-2008, 05:19 PM
I want to thank everyone for all of the help that i got with this project, i am still learning what this machine can do.

Thanks Again.

Audie
05-18-2008, 09:17 PM
Hey Chris...what about the RotoZip drill bits? They are designed to cut sideways? I just hit mwe when you mentioned cutting sideways and I was using my RotoZip on a project today! Thanks, Audie

ChrisAlb
05-19-2008, 05:20 AM
Hey Chris...what about the RotoZip drill bits? They are designed to cut sideways? I just hit mwe when you mentioned cutting sideways and I was using my RotoZip on a project today! Thanks, Audie

Hi Audie,

While RotoZip bits will cut sideways, I wouldn't attempt using them because I think they would snap pretty easy. Also, they are not carbide and the way the CW cuts with the 1/8" cutter, it is just using the tip of the bit. Even if the RotoZip bits could handle the lateral stress, I think they'd dull out very quickly.

Just a question....How come folks are looking to replace the CW bit with others?

All my bits are the original ones and they all still cut perfectly. Still so sharp they will cut your fingers if you're not careful.

If folks are breaking the bits, then I would think the approach to carving must have a flaw in it somewhere.

Kenm810
05-19-2008, 07:48 AM
Hi Chris,

Quote --Just a question....How come folks are looking to replace the CW bit with others?

Good question – I also have all my original CW Bits and Bit Adapters, and am very happy with them.
I was thinking, possibly there’re a couple folks out there that like to experiment a little like me,
and try a few different Bits to see how they carve in the CW or CC machine, for comparison and post the results.
I have tried and use a couple of the 4 fluted carving Bits “coated and uncoated” on Corian, Hard Woods, and Cast Acrylic with very good results. Also a few small bits for fine engraving style text and graphics with some success.
I do shy away from any high speed steel or non-carbide bits that could dull to quickly or possible damage my Machine.
Common sense is important when picking bits for your machine. So if you’re not sure,
I would say, try to stay with bits designed to be used with your CW or CC Machine,
like the ones supplied with your Machines and bought form LHR
or well tested bits, adapters, and tools from (Ron) rjustice on this forum.
I wanted to say Thanks Chris for pointing this out.
It’s always better to be safe than sorry.

Audie
05-20-2008, 03:18 PM
Chris, I am pleased with my CW bits and they are plenty sharp! I was just curious about the RotoZip bits....(tame the mind huh!)