PDA

View Full Version : Bit stuck in chuck

wayne long
05-17-2008, 06:31 PM
Brand new machine, 2nd project, about 2.5 hours long. Piece looks great. Got prompt to change bit for final edge route and cant remove the 1/16th bit. Any suggestions? Havent had any problems removing the bit before. Simply used the provided tool and the bit usually falls out. Please help. thanx, Wayne

Digitalwoodshop
05-17-2008, 06:52 PM
The Sling Shot is your friend..... Pull up and snap the outer ring..... Then clean the chuck of dust...

AL

rue
05-17-2008, 06:56 PM
My 1/16th ALWAYS gets stuck. Some suggestions:

1) Get gloves. The bit edge is sharp and you're going to be handling it quite a bit. No need for half a dozen papercut-sized cuts on your fingers.

2) Rotate the bit in the chuck as you twist and pull. You want to get that thing moving so it can wiggle out.

3) Pliers. Be careful since the bit is an expensive piece of hardware, but there are times when I have to resort to them.

4) Personal Preference: Carvewright members debate this, but I'm on the side of people who don't use the quick change tool. I think it makes it harder for the chuck to release the second, third, fourth, etc... time.

5) Patience. Very often after a fair amount of rotating and good tugs, the bit falls out relatively easy. It's just about finding the right positioning.

Good luck with it.

wayne long
05-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Im sorry, I dont understand. Slingshot?

wayne long
05-17-2008, 07:14 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I was to nervous to wiggle and beat around on this fine machine ( can you tell I still like it?) So I simply put a rag between the work piece and the chuck and srayed some WD-40 every where then just wiggled the chuck up and down until the bit just fell out as usual. Seems it was just some super fine dust impacted inside the chuck. Would a vac system help here and can I hook it up where the muffler is installed now? Still havin fun!!! Wayne

Jeff_Birt
05-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Try here for a start: http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWright_Tips_and_Tricks_Jan08.pdf

If your search for 'stuck bit', you will find several relevant posts. The quick answer is cleaning and lubrication...

Digitalwoodshop
05-17-2008, 07:41 PM
Sling Shot.... 4 fingers, 2 hands raise the outer QC up and let it slip snapping it toward the bit.... The Bit will fall out..... But Jeff is right....

AL

bizbiki
05-20-2008, 09:20 PM
Go ez on the wd 40, the saw dust and other assorted dirt in the air of your shop seem to be attracted to it. Eventually it will build up and you will have a real sticky gummy mess, (IMO).

Ike
05-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Not sure if anyone has tried this? I learned many years ago in high school woodshop, my teacher taught me me when a bit was stuck in the chuck of a router lightly tap it with the wrench. I do that with the CW QC and tapping it lightly you will be amazed how much junk falls out of it.

I found spraying W-D 40 it only gums it up more. Again I mean to lightly tap the QC and rotate it while you are tapping. I get great results

gartheremko
05-13-2014, 11:08 PM
The rock chuck solves these problems forever. So happy I got one.

Digitalwoodshop
05-14-2014, 09:55 AM
Yes, that was a problem in 2008....

I love the ROCK too...

Looking to buy used ROCKS if anyone converts to a CT.

AL

lynnfrwd
05-14-2014, 10:02 AM
I thought for a moment that IKE was back. Sure miss that guy. I didn't realize at first that we had just resurrected a very old thread.