PDA

View Full Version : Changed configuration of standard carving bit

SharonBrown
05-17-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm sure this question was asked and answered long ago, but the search function will not let me use the word "bit" in my search term because it has less than 4 characters. (Does anyone know a way around this limitation?)

Anyway, just before Christmas we broke our original 1/16" carving bit. We ordered a replacement, which seems significantly bigger than the original, but we were told by customer service that it was now the standard and would work the same for us.

In the meantime, we got busy and haven't used the machine since. We are now looking at starting a project, but I'm still nervous about the difference in the bits. Is the difference significant, or is it just that they made the shank "beefier" so it doesn't bend/break as easily?

Sharon

hotpop
05-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Sharon,

As far as I know the 1/16" Carving bit has not changed. All mine have a 1/4" shank.

When doing a search with less then 4 characters put double quotes around the text. ie. "bit"

fwharris
05-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Sharon,

I think your last statement hit right on the head:
is it just that they made the shank "beefier" so it doesn't bend/break as easily?

I got a new 1/16" bits at the first of this year and did notice that it was different than the original. Have not noticed any difference in the carve detail at all..

SharonBrown
05-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Great! Thanks for your help.

SharonBrown
05-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Sharon,
When doing a search with less then 4 characters put double quotes around the text. ie. "bit"

Thanks for the tip. It's been a source of frustration for me several times.

aparks
05-17-2008, 04:47 PM
I, too, have been frustrated by the letter limit in the search function. Great tip -- thanks for sharing Hotpop.

Allen