PDA

View Full Version : Anatomy of the Y Drive 101...

Digitalwoodshop
05-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Happiness is watching Norm on a Saturday Morning in the Laser Shop, hearing the Carve Machine Humming in the Wood Shop and the Birds Chirping....

I dug into the Y axis problem I had after 3 days of carving. Was getting the clean Y Rails and a Y Error at the end of the project after it skipped a few teeth and offset the carving.

First thought it was a loose belt but it happened again and when it was driving to check the bit flag you could here the variations in speed.

Loosened the top screw on the right side to let the spring on the Y belt work. Removed the 2 screws with the nuts on the back of the Y gear box and after unplugging the Y motor lifted the motor off.

Opening the motor gear box I found a wobbly big plastic gear. As per the picture the shaft is shot as is the sleeve bearing.

Lucky for me I need to thank HOTPOP for sharing his old bad Z Motor with me as I swapped the gear box only and I am back UP.... THANKS HOTPOP !!!! "Mel"....

A little advice on re installing the Y. Put the nuts and washer on the gear box first then slide it into the slots. It will align with the top flush with the mounting bracket. Pushing it down will cause binding. Then to tension the belt I just let the spring make up the tension and tightened the top screw on the right. Moving the head it seamed a little tight. I loosened the screw and using my finger picked up on the belt about 3/8 of an inch and tightened the top screw. That is all there is to it.....

Calling all OLD MOTORS... If you have any old X, Y, Z, Cut Motors or Spindles that you are willing to part with, I am paying $10.00 per item plus $5.00 shipping. I am into this for the long haul and I see myself swapping parts in the future. I have 575 hours on this machine and think it was just due to replace it. The Y does a lot of work... I will now add the shaft of the Y to my lubrication list... I think the lubrication just dried out....

Happy Carving,

AL

Digitalwoodshop
05-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Had another thought to share, you can just about see it in picture 3. When the sleeve bearing went out it caused the big plastic gear to move toward the center. I saw but did not take a picture of it, but there was a rub mark on the black mounting bracket where the shaft of the big plastic gear outside the gear box was rubbing on the mounting plate causing the friction making the variable speed of the Y.

You can see that the Y gear C Clip area will accept a drop of oil easily as seen in the picture below.

AL

fwharris
05-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Al,

Thanks for sharing this with us. Have you ever thought about subing out to LHR? You would be a good service center back east for them. But if you did you would not have any time for carving and printing.

As to your point on the lubrication, are you saying the lube the inside gears? and if so would it be lithium? And on your last post you are talking about oiling the shaft at the retaining ring?

Digitalwoodshop
05-17-2008, 03:39 PM
I would remove the big plastic gear and put some MOLY or something in there ON THE SHAFT as it is just a sleeve bearing.... Oil at the shaft C Clip would help. The big plastic gear comes with some grease on it but the sleeve bearing is what takes all the abuse. That makes all the old Motors valuable for the gear box.....

AL