PDA

View Full Version : vista

pscychnurse
05-17-2008, 05:45 AM
hi all,
my machine comes in weds and i am running windows vista is there a problem running it on this? when I ordered it they said no, but when I have tried to install drivers forr other products had problems just wondering thanks ron

dcurrysr
05-17-2008, 05:58 AM
I have been running Vista and Designer for about a year with no problems. Good Luck and enjoy your new machine.
Dave

ChrisAlb
05-17-2008, 06:13 AM
Hi Ron and Welcome to the forum of fun.

Many folks in here run Vista and all seems to be fine for most. One issue I have seen pop up from time to time in here is a glitch in the on board USB ports of "some" motherboards when running Vista. It seems sometimes it has trouble recognizing the CW card reader.

For some it's simply a matter of switching ports. For others, they've installed a USB card in a PCI slot and that solved it. Either way, should you see this, it's an easy fix.

Jeff Birt, one of our forum moderators and all around great guy runs Vista and is quite happy with it.

So welcome to Carving and remember, this forum is full of very smart, creative and helpful people. Most ANY issue you'll come across has been discussed and explained in here. Using the "Search" function of this forum will get you information on most of it. Of course if you still have questions, feel free to post them.

Chris

Jeff_Birt
05-17-2008, 08:55 AM
but when I have tried to install drivers forr other products had problems

Yes, drivers are an issue with Vista, much like the switch from Windows 3.1 to '95. You have to search out the device vendors Vista drivers.

As for the CW/Designer and Vista, it works great. If you kept UAC turned on you need to launch the installer using 'run as administrator'. If UAC is off just make sure you install from an admin account. The card reader uses a standard HID driver so it works with Vista out-of-the-box.

One issue I have seen pop up from time to time in here is a glitch in the on board USB ports of "some" motherboards when running Vista.

I've had this same issue with XP as well, the on board USB ports were also flaky with USB hard drives.

Jeff Birt, one of our forum moderators and all around great guy runs Vista and is quite happy with it.

Gosh, <blush>...

hotpop
05-17-2008, 02:59 PM
Hey Jeff,

I give up! I'm just a dumb user. What 's a UAC and a HID drive?

Jeff_Birt
05-17-2008, 06:23 PM
UAC: User access control, It's a new feature with Vista. Kind of the same idea as as Unix/Linux where you run as a standard user account and only go into 'Administrator' mode where you need to. Many folks find it terribly annoying and just turn it off.

HID: human interface device, a generic class of drivers built into Windows...

oldjoe
05-17-2008, 09:21 PM
One little thing I have not played with it a whole lot. But I run windows vista and it works fine but one problem I ran into is. When I set up my computer I have 2 user accounts set on it one Administrator and the other one in my name. When I installed the CW software I put it in as Administrator. And put it into the public folder. I can run it fine in the adminestrator but when I try to run it in my name it asks for licence information. I have never entered it in because I am afraid I will not have Centerline or any of my purchased patterns. And I don't want to spend the centerline money twice so I just leave it. But I have never had trouble with a usb port recognized it from day one. One other thing I had to add more RAM. Kept getting the gui. message.

Amonaug
06-16-2008, 01:32 PM
I'm having a problem with Vista Home Premium. I save a new .mpc in a folder and it saves fine BUT I can only find it from Designer. If I go into windows explorer it doesn't show in the folder. Makes it impossible to transfer files from laptop (Vista) to PC (WinXP64). Just to clarify I can't find the files on either OS only in Designer on the Vista machine.

I use the laptop to take to craft shows, etc and transfer files back and forth between the laptop and PC to keep both with the same files.

Jeff_Birt
06-16-2008, 02:40 PM
This is not really a Vista problem, you just need to find out WHERE you are saving them to on your Vista machine. Windows XP stores each users files in C:\Documents and Settings\UserName, while Vista uses C:\Users\UserName\Documents. But you could be saving your files anywhere from Desinger (it's all up to you).

I use a program called "ViceVersa Pro" to keep all my CW related files up to date between my laptop and desktop computers.

Deolman
06-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Microsoft has a utility called Synctoy. it will keep two directories in sync with each other when you run it. The price is good as well - free. But you do have to know where it is and where you want to put it.

Ken Massingale
06-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Microsoft has a utility called Synctoy. it will keep two directories in sync with each other when you run it. The price is good as well - free. But you do have to know where it is and where you want to put it.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E0FC1154-C975-4814-9649-CCE41AF06EB7&displaylang=en

Amonaug
06-16-2008, 05:22 PM
This is not really a Vista problem, you just need to find out WHERE you are saving them to on your Vista machine. Windows XP stores each users files in C:\Documents and Settings\UserName, while Vista uses C:\Users\UserName\Documents. But you could be saving your files anywhere from Desinger (it's all up to you).

I use a program called "ViceVersa Pro" to keep all my CW related files up to date between my laptop and desktop computers.

Thanks Jeff but I'm a pretty savy person when it comes to computers (I build my own). I know WHERE I'm saving it, I've checked and double-checked. It's just not in the folder where I'm saving it.

Now here's the weird thing. I just did a search on the entire hard drive and all windows explorer finds is a shortcut to the file in C:\Users\[account]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows which points to the same folder where I'm looking for the file but it's not there.

Jeff_Birt
06-16-2008, 05:37 PM
When you are saving your files in Desiger (with Vista) what path are you saving to? Try saving to the root of your C drive (C:\) and then see if you can find the file.

Oh, and thanks to Doelman and Ken for the tip and link to Synctoy.

Amonaug
06-16-2008, 05:52 PM
When you are saving your files in Desiger (with Vista) what path are you saving to? Try saving to the root of your C drive (C:\) and then see if you can find the file.

Oh, and thanks to Doelman and Ken for the tip and link to Synctoy.

Yes thanks for SyncToy, that will come in very handy.

As for saving the files. I save them in the folder where all my other projects are. I tried saving it to the root C: drive but it tells me I don't have permission and should contact the administrator (I thought I was logged on to my administrator account, at least under the account name it says administrator) and give me the option to save it under the Users\[account] folder where it does save it and I can find it. IMO Vista is just a big PITA.

Jeff_Birt
06-16-2008, 06:15 PM
and give me the option to save it under the Users\[account] folder where it does save it and I can find it.

So you can find your files now? Good. I have an idea that you were unknowingly saving them to a temporary folder before.

You can turn off Vista's UAC, see:http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm

While, it is a bit diffrent than what most folks are used to with Windows, it has a purpose. UAC is sort of like how Unix/Linux works with having normal 'User' accounts, then for admin related stuff you may need to log in as a SuperUser (sudo is the term I think) and finally you have 'root' which is the lord-and-master password. XP already had some of that ability allowing for normal users, power users, administrators, etc. The group policies can also be set to allow network or domain admins access that local admins don't have.

Amonaug
06-16-2008, 06:26 PM
So you can find your files now? Good. I have an idea that you were unknowingly saving them to a temporary folder before.

You can turn off Vista's UAC, see:http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm

While, it is a bit diffrent than what most folks are used to with Windows, it has a purpose. UAC is sort of like how Unix/Linux works with having normal 'User' accounts, then for admin related stuff you may need to log in as a SuperUser (sudo is the term I think) and finally you have 'root' which is the lord-and-master password. XP already had some of that ability allowing for normal users, power users, administrators, etc. The group policies can also be set to allow network or domain admins access that local admins don't have.

Actually it doesn't help because it won't save them in the folder *I* WANT. When I save them there with the other projects they don't show up. If I transfer them to that folder from the PC they are there. Or I should say I can save them there but can only open them from Designer on the Vista machine. I can't open windows explorer and open them or move them to the PC.

EDIT: UPDATE SyncToy seems to have fixed the problem...or at least is a workaround. Used it to sync the project folders I have. Even though I can't see the file in Windows Explorer on the Vista machine it transferred the file from that folder to the corresponding folder on the Xp machine where I can see it in Windows Explorer.

Dragon
06-25-2008, 12:57 PM
The issue i had was when trying to load an older project [from an XP machine] i would get something along the lines that gui.exe failed.

i tried memory, usb drives eveything i could find... nothing helped

...until finally i upgraded. i bought the centerline [worth every penny in my opinion] and upgraded to the current version.

fortunately the problem was fixed...
unfortunately i don't know whether it was the new version or the centerline because i did them at the same time.

if you're just starting, i imagine you'll get the latest version.

...anyway, been running fine since

welcome a board [pun intended]

Rob

Deolman
06-25-2008, 02:46 PM
I guess I should have said more in regards to Synctoy. I have a couple of PCs connected together through a hub and I use it often to sync directories between the two PCs. I also have a USB drive I use as a backup and again I sync up the data on the PC's hard drive and my backup drive. I also sometimes sync directories to a flashdrive. You do have to be careful sometimes because if you delete it in one directory, Synctoy will delete in the other directory and it will be gone for good! I am pleased to hear my small contribution to this forum has assisted others.