PDA

View Full Version : Horses

The "DH"
05-15-2008, 07:09 AM
Here is a first for me. I put popular on walnut and had the CW carve down to the surface of the walnut.

Kenm810
05-15-2008, 07:19 AM
"DH",

Very nice project,http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif
I've thought about trying a similar carving for several months,
guess I better get off my arss and get to it.
Thanks for the nudge and Thanks for Sharing

DocWheeler
05-15-2008, 07:27 AM
DH,

That is a great piece. One of my granddaughters would love that - looks like I need to try that myself.

sewpeck
05-15-2008, 08:10 AM
I've thought of doing this myself. Question: Where did you find popular? :rolleyes:

alpmeadow
05-15-2008, 08:20 AM
Very nice carving and layout. The combination of wood shows it very well.

Question from nooby::confused:
I am assuming the poplar was carved from sled with sticky tape? Does it hold well, with carve through?

Was the frame carved at the same time?

When carving the inside edge of the frame(poplar), what bit did you use, and are you satisfied with the results?
Thanks for your kind assistance
alpmeadow

Ivanq
05-15-2008, 08:34 AM
I really like that. Makes me think of other projects using the same method. Thanks for showing.

Cliff in Roswell

beachman
05-15-2008, 09:56 AM
Looks great,the 2 types of wood together works,i have and will use it again myself,if i ever get my machine back...lol

coop2739
05-15-2008, 10:20 AM
I'm going to try that as soon as I get my "X" secondary gear replaced. Lost three teeth while carving som Lexan.:(

oldjoe
05-15-2008, 12:00 PM
That looks beautiful, I wonder if you could put ebony on top of poplar what that would look like Hmmmmmm!
Keep them coming!

Amonaug
05-15-2008, 12:25 PM
Very nice carving and layout. The combination of wood shows it very well.

Question from nooby::confused:
I am assuming the poplar was carved from sled with sticky tape? Does it hold well, with carve through?

Was the frame carved at the same time?

When carving the inside edge of the frame(poplar), what bit did you use, and are you satisfied with the results?
Thanks for your kind assistance
alpmeadow

What he did was glue a board of poplar on top of the walnut and then carved down to the surface of the walnut.

mtylerfl
05-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Here is a first for me. I put popular on walnut and had the CW carve down to the surface of the walnut.

DH - that takes my breath away. I REALLY love the effect you achieved - the horses almost look like carved ivory against the darker walnut surface. Beautiful!

Router-Jim
05-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Some time ago another member "Wooden Nickle" (I believe) showed a similar project with maple over walnut.

I really like what you came up with. It's so beautiful that I want to call it art.

The "DH"
05-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments.. I enjoyed this project since it was for a friends B-day gift.

How I did it? I joined several pieces of 1/2 walnut then used probond to attach 1/4 popular (lowes or home depot) on top of the walnut. I used four way clamps to seal the deal. Then set the pattern to run just below the popular. I love the effect and will use it again.

Thanks again everyone!

liquidguitars
05-15-2008, 07:10 PM
very nice!

LG

Zonetoys
05-24-2008, 07:45 PM
Keith,
Saw your booth at the Pungo Strawberry Festival Saturday and the Horse Carving looks fantastic in person. Although I had seen it here I was blown away when I saw it sitting on the table. Very Nice! Other pieces looked great too. I came by twice and was going to introduce myself, but you were always surrounded by admiring fans! Looks like you were a big hit! Congrats!

DocWheeler
06-08-2008, 03:24 PM
I had considered using two kinds of wood as DH illustrated in this thread, but his pictures pushed me a little harder. My wife "SUGGESTED" that I carve a headboard for our bed, and I will take the hint (I understand those things better as time goes on).

Anyway, I needed to practice and did not want to waste any walnut with the testing. I've learned to try to make something useful while testing, so I used some red oak and aspen.

What I did: I made an mpc with the entire design, saved it and then saved it again under a different name. Then I removed the design and text and shrunk the carve region to about the size of the design (that Jack S. posted a week or so ago) and re-saved this second mpc.
I carved the second design with the smaller region and then glued a quarter-inch of aspen in the recess. When the glue dried, I carved the first mpc.

It was beginner's luck as it turned out beautifully. I had intended to change the depth of the second mpc to make it a little shallower so that the glue would get carved away - but I forgot. As it turned out, I think it is better this way since the small stems might not have survived. Sanding the glue away is tedious but worth the results so far.

The picture shows it un-finished with only the right side detailed to any extent. I am very impressed with the outcome so far, this really adds another dimension to the usefulness of the CarveWright.

Tom75
06-08-2008, 03:33 PM
that is awsom work .

Kenm810
06-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Hey, Nice (practice) carvings http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

Wish mine would come out of the machine like that.
Looking good so far, the Head Board should be Great

The "DH"
06-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Zonetoys,
Thanks for the comment!! I would have liked to talk with you... Nothing like sharing ideas and stories.

Doc,
Well done. Looks like you on your way to some more projects for the house!!!

want2b
07-11-2008, 05:51 AM
Finally got time to try the layered wood idea. Made two signs below for friends. Both are poplar over red cedar. Ran both through the planer and then glued vs gluing and then planing. The Providence carving turned out with an accidental plus. Looks like the stallion is standing in snow or sand. Couldn't have planned it. Found there was a slight warp in the cedar that didn't totally come out when planed. Then I apparently set the carveout exactly at the thickness of the poplar. Add in the chance of the curve being at the bottom?
Thanks again DH, next ideas are with dark wood over light for a granddaughters room.

castingman
07-11-2008, 06:53 AM
I had the same problem with this one , I'm not set up to resaw that big of a piece. Glued maple over walnut , But i no have a piece of walnut to glue on the hard maple , Try again , The people liked it anyhow the mistake looks like a paint brush.

Michael

mtylerfl
07-11-2008, 08:40 AM
Fantastic! I love the accidental "misty" effect at the bottom! Came out superb - great work.

Router-Jim
07-11-2008, 12:32 PM
I really really like that Providence carving. Excellant!

snood56
07-11-2008, 10:54 PM
It is usually in the specialty woods section at the depot and other "big box" stores.
Happy carving
Karl, aka: "SNOOD"

Capt Bruce
12-30-2012, 10:56 AM
Great ideas coming out here. I'm going to have to try this using the Stallions carving Badbert shared with us based upon Pratyeka's (sp?) rendering from the Chinese art.