PDA

View Full Version : So easy an 11 year old can run it

oldjoe
05-13-2008, 06:28 PM
This was my 11 year old daughters project for Mother's Day. She went thru picked the patterns and layed them out on the board I had to help a little with size. Then she loaded it on the card put it in the machine. I helped her thru the homing part. But she loaded the boards and followed the instructions on the machine. I had to help her change bits they stick once in awhile.
She helped me with the glue up. I did all the power tool work. She did the coloring and I applied the stain and the Mine wax hand finish ( her homework got in the way of time).
So it goes to show you the machine is not all that hard to operate.
Maybe I should have kept this a secret :rolleyes:

TerryT
05-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Very nice, tell her she did a great job. I bet mom loves it.

Deolman
05-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Kudos to your daughter for a job well done.

Kudos to you for spending the time to help her.

Kenm810
05-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Nice project and quality time
well spent, Very well done oldjoe

hotpop
05-13-2008, 09:26 PM
Congratulations to you both. Great looking project.

CustomWestCoast
05-13-2008, 10:25 PM
Great looking project! Better be careful because you know what she will want for her 12th birthday present.....

bizbiki
05-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Maybe thats the secret!! I know it took a neighbors 12 year boy to program my universal remote for the tv/cd/dvd/stereo last summer

SandBuoy
05-13-2008, 11:50 PM
Very nice Joe. Mom got a gift you know she will cherish for the rest of her life, you got an early fathers day gift with your daughter spending some tool time with you and she got a lesson in life early, tools aren't just for guys.

SilentBob
05-14-2008, 03:00 AM
Geez, first we have to fear the day they want the keys to the car, now it's the carving machine :p

The project looks great and as the others have said, you got the added bonus of spending that quality time.
Bob

forqnc
05-14-2008, 07:57 AM
Very Nice project Oldjoe, and pass on my compliments to your daughter, for having patience with the machine and finishing. I personally am still working on patience with sanding and finishing.

....you got an early fathers day gift with your daughter spending some tool time with you and she got a lesson in life early, tools aren't just for guys.

Last year I got my daughter into turning and I am hoping she may want to spent time with me with the carving machine. Your quote Sandbuoy is so true, I took a Saturday off from my honey do list and spent it with her learning to turn at a buddies, it was a great day.

fwharris
05-14-2008, 09:30 AM
Joe,

Great project and great quality time!

DocWheeler
05-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Joe,

That was a really nice thing to do with her and it turned out great also.

oldjoe
05-14-2008, 11:10 AM
Thank you for all the kind words. And yes when the time comes I will probably be the dad "That will be up all night just cleaning his gun" LOL.