PDA

View Full Version : In With The New; Out With The Old?

jerrbitt
05-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Lookiing for advice. I purchased a Compucarve on March 1 so I have until the end of May to return it and get a full refund including the cost of the extended warranty or approximately $1,840.

Because of the apparent dissolution of the relationship between LHR and Sears, it may be difficult to get repairs under the extended warranty – who knows.

So I’m toying with the idea of getting a refund and buying the CarveWright from LHR. The plusses would be that I would be getting a “third generation” machine – at least that’s been thrown around the forum – at about the same price. Considering all the complaint about breakdowns, etc and apparently less than satisfactory quality control in the original models, that may be a real plus.

Another plus would be a new warranty albeit for only 200 hours -- no extended warranty from LHR. (By the way, does it bother you like it bothers me that LHR will not offer an extended warranty? Lack of faith in their product?)

The downside is right now I’ve got a pretty good machine. With about 60 hours on it, the only problem is a sticky chuck and supposedly, they will be sending me a new one. And, maybe, a positive would be the extended warranty from Sears will hold water.

What would you do? Suggestions/advice?

jackssib1
05-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Bought a CW, and it is working great so far. I have ran 8 patterns this weekend and keeping a close watch on it, and cleaning, lube, oil. making sure its not me., if it gives me prob.
Thats just the way i went.
Jack

Heres one I did.
V
v

Spanglerg@hotmail.com
05-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Bought a CW, and it is working great so far. I have ran 8 patterns this weekend and keeping a close watch on it, and cleaning, lube, oil. making sure its not me., if it gives me prob.
Thats just the way i went.
Jack

Heres one I did.
V
v

FANTASTIC WORK JARHEAD!

Dhaffner
05-11-2008, 06:02 PM
It's a hard choice you have. Depends on how much that extended warranty means to you. Truthfully it ends up being a bit of a gamble either way. Personally I think I'd lean toward returning it and going the CW way...I won't get into the whole "generation" issue too deep, but I think you probably wouldn't go wrong having the newer version. I myself have already started thinking about a second machine down the road, and I'll probably wait until a "new" version is out too.... IMHO. Thing is, the one I have now (had it a month or so) is still rockin...with no non-operator issues.
Doug

deemon328
05-11-2008, 06:37 PM
My thoughts:

If you have a good machine, don't let anyone touch it! You could very easily trade no headaches in for many headaches, IME.
It's not like you can't send it to LHR for repairs if Sears doesn't work out. Isn't the price you got it for with extended warranty cheaper than LHR's price?
I'm not sure this has been discussed, but if your serial number is high(starting number like above 10), then you already have things like upgraded rpm sensors and possibly other updates. Z-packs and board sensors are a cinch to install, so not enough to worry about there either if you don't have them
LHR's 200 hour warranty /no extended warranty isn't what bothers me.
If I got a second CNC, it won't be a current model of CW. I would wait until Carvewright 2 maybe or build my own CNC.The most important thing is that you have a good machine now. I wouldn't mess that up.

hotpop
05-11-2008, 07:21 PM
JERRBITT

If I had the Sears extended warranty and they defaulted I would let my lawyer handle it.