PDA

View Full Version : Potential Purchaser!

Kemosabe62
05-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Hello, 1st post!

I'm a registered nurse by day and laser engraver by night:p.

I've got 3 potential jobs to do. These people think that my laser can do them.
But I know that a CNC router or a CarveWright can do them better. One job can pay for the CW outright. And I'd rather not have to learn CAD at this time. CW appears to be the way for me to go at this time.

What I need to know, can a substate be masked, and with what, routered and then paint the routered part. Then peel the mask off and ready to go.

What, if any, do you guys use to mask a board that has been painted, particularly mdf and corian, and then paint the routed grooves. Then remove mask and job done. This is simple vector engraving. Not dimentional stuff.

I'm not good at free handed painting and masking will be the way to go for me on these projects. Right now a full CNC machine is out of the question and I don't want to have to learn another software(CAD). I have read and will continue to read as many posts as I can here. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a CW if a substrate, especially the mdf and corian can be masked with a CW.

I like the simplicity and the ability to integrate Corel, and photos into the Designer software. This will open up alot of potential for me.

Long story short... what do you use to mask a substrate?

Thanks!
Anthony Welch:)

Dan-Woodman
05-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Hey Anthony
Welcome and how about useing blue painters tape ,masking tape ,or even contact paper.
I think I would go with the blue painters tape as it may have less sticky than contact paper. Good luck with your project and we always like to see pictures of everyones finished project.

later Daniel

LittleRedWoodshop
05-10-2008, 10:03 PM
check out my website and give me a call...