PDA

View Full Version : The quick change metal is like butter!

jbraman
05-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Man, the QC is frustrating. This is after approx two hours of runtime on a brand new CW. The QC will no longer accept bits. Called CW and talked to tech support, hopefully going to be getting replacement stuff shortly.

jbraman
05-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Well, I lubricated the snot out of the QC, and got it back to a semi working condition... Got the bit to stick back in it, and it wouldn't wiggle out...Started the machine up and within 10 seconds BOOM!! Broke the bit, shredded the quick change, and scared my pants off!! Ah well... new QC on the way (Quick response by LHR this morning!) and some new bits! I think I'll take the machine apart and clean make sure there are no broken bit pieces laying around!

Digitalwoodshop
05-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Let this be a warning to everyone to pay attention to your QC. When you see the ball bearing wear marks on your bit holders it is time to change the QC. I learned and posted this 6 months ago.

What is causing the BB marks is a worn QC in the areas that contact the sides of the bit holders. This lets the bit "ROCK" back and forth in the holder at full RPM. I also thought it was a worn bit holder and installed a new bit with a new bit holder and the fit felt tight and back to carving I went.

As you can see by the pictures it was not long and the new holder showed the BB marks.

So the lesson here is when you first see BB Marks Change the QC as installing a new bit holder will cause it to be damaged and you get to buy more bit holders plus the QC.

Filing the lip edge from the bit holder at the BB marks to help with bit removal is like asking the machine to throw the bit out, and it will.

Keeping the QC clean and lubricated will prevent half in bit that could be the cause to this problem.

Good Luck,

AL