PDA

View Full Version : Y access stall error 236

CraigR
05-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Hi all!
I a n00b here and after using the search and doing some reading I found I still can not fix my machine. I just bought this off of eBay and they said it was refurbished so I thought it would be good as new. NOT! I am trying to make a simple sign to start with just lettering. I go through all the prompts and the machine starts carving but after about 15-20 seconds it stops and I get the Y access stall error 236 or 246 after reading here is what I checked.
1.) Updated software and memory card firmware
2.) Moved the Y chuck from end to end looking for hang up or it hitting something but it's not.
3.) Looked for anything loose that might interfere but found nothing.
4.) Checked to see if drive belt loose but it's fine. (tight)
5.) Watched where the bit touch plate came out and bit hits dead center so no problem there.
6.) Checked cutting tracks for looseness or obstructions but nothing found.

Anybody have any other ideas???

CraigR
05-22-2008, 03:42 PM
Just put in a new Y motor from Carvewright and get the same thing.

Digitalwoodshop
05-22-2008, 05:44 PM
WOW... I would say that should have fixed it.... Did you install the Y Motor level with the mounting plate? Pushing it down will result in friction?

How is the gap between the plastic drive wheel and the inside of the mounting plate?

AL

CraigR
05-22-2008, 05:56 PM
It's perfect. Was on the phone for an hour again with tech support and now they think it's a power supply problem. $107 for that now.

Digitalwoodshop
05-22-2008, 07:35 PM
WOW.... Could be.... With the eBay units you never know.... The units that come in with shipping damage with cracked parts.... What happens to them?.... Do the guys living near LHR dumpster dive? Then put together a system? No Warranty is a killer.....

Last I saw they were going for over $1K. AS IS..... Ouch....

AL

CraigR
05-31-2008, 11:42 AM
Got the power unit and that took care of it.

rstudley
06-06-2008, 03:07 PM
I had a similar sounding problem, it turned out to be the end of the flexshaft wasn't seated properly into the cutting head truck. The bit would choke on chips because it was not turning fast enough to cut them away completely, and that would stall the head cause it couldn't push through the built up cuttings.

kwalker
06-23-2008, 08:38 AM
I am having the same problem with the error 236 y Stall, but I purchased mine brand new. I have not run it for more than 2 hours! i just installed a new Y drive motor from Carvewright and still have the same problem.

How do you fix the flex shaft not seating far enough in the cutting head truck? I have seated and unseated it several times in hopes that I would stumble across something.

rstudley
06-23-2008, 01:05 PM
It evidently takes some touch to determine if the core square ends are seated correctly. Apparently the arm runs without heating up if the ends are seated right--- mine never ran cool. My connector takes a lot of force to disengage, enough to lift the machine off the table. A post suggested I loosen the screws on the cutting truck, which I will try when my part comes in. My flexarm at the connector end ate itself and I am waiting for a replacement right now.
Seems to me the only reason not to ship the CW with that flexarm lubed and installed correctly at both ends is the packaging design. It's like buying a car and having to connect the transmission before you can drive it.
It does sound like you are not getting enough force behind your bit turning to really cut. Does your flexarm heat up? What are you cutting into?

kwalker
06-23-2008, 03:02 PM
The flexshaft does not seem to heat up (not to the touch anyway) but since replacing the y drive it has only run a total of 1 minute before I get the Y stall error. Before that I only ran it once and that was .75" oak.

ChrisAlb
06-23-2008, 03:32 PM
My connector takes a lot of force to disengage, enough to lift the machine off the table. A post suggested I loosen the screws on the cutting truck, which I will try when my part comes in.

Hi rstudley,

I HIGHLY recommend AGAINST that advice. The flex shaft should come out with moderate up force and a slight twisting motion. If not, check to see if it appears rusted around the shaft where the ball (in the cap) locks in place. A few drops of 3 in 1 oil (wiped) on it should prevent needing "that" much force to remove or install it.

Loosening the screws on the truck will lead to many problems and NOT solve the shaft issue.

My 2 cents

Eagle Hollow
06-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Have you tried this? With the flex shaft out of the cutter head, turn the cable until you feel it seat in the cut motor then place the flex shaft in the cutter head...gently... and turn the quick change chuck by hand until the cable seats. The shaft should then seat easily and hopefully take care of the problem.

Good luck. Please keep us posted on your progess.

Kenm810
06-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Unless the connection is smashed, rusted, or fused in some way.
They should engage and disengage with minimal effert.
Only the wraparound spring tension on the ball bearing hold the Flex-shaft in place

jcorder
06-27-2008, 08:34 PM
I just took delivery of my machine on Monday. Made a few cuts and it worked great. Loaded a new project last night that needs to use the carve bit, the cutoff bit and the 90 degree V-bit. I get through the set up and it starts to get ready to carve, it is jogging the piece and the bit moves over the board and drops while it is still jogging into position. The bit comes in contact with the board and plows quite a furrow, up to an inch long before I get a y axis or z axis stall, error 236. I have reloaded the project several times and it does the same thing. I would appreciate any ideas.

liquidguitars
06-27-2008, 09:05 PM
error 236 ..

check your firmware on the card and try to keep current with updates, also it's not common for a Y and Z stall at the same time so make sure the unit is clean and the truck will move freely with the power off.

Using the key pad "07" you can tell if you have a bad encoader.

LG

liquidguitars
06-27-2008, 09:10 PM
1.) Updated software and memory card firmware
2.) Moved the Y chuck from end to end looking for hang up or it hitting something but it's not.
3.) Looked for anything loose that might interfere but found nothing.
4.) Checked to see if drive belt loose but it's fine. (tight)
5.) Watched where the bit touch plate came out and bit hits dead center so no problem there.
6.) Checked cutting tracks for looseness or obstructions but nothing found.

Craig,
Try to reset the Z ribbon cable.. my old cable had marks and ware "over 500 hrs "and was acting up last night giving me a 246. replaced it today and that made it go away.

LG

Semper Fi
06-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Kwalker, how deep are your carves? If you try to carve very deep in hard wood the Y axis will stall. Try making a shallower cut and see if that helps..

Ernie

kwalker
07-01-2008, 08:30 AM
First I they sent a Y-drive motor. Not the answer.
Then they sent the Motor for the flexshaft. It carves like a champ now.