PDA

View Full Version : First carving I feel I can show : )

vaughn
05-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Afternoon folks!

I just recently got a Carvewright and have spent several days reading the manual, doing test cuts and lots of vacuuming.

I've been fiddling with copyright free litho carvings images from the 1800's from the out of print 'Scan This Book' series.

I started with this scan;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26413016@N06/2475919167/

At this point the clock is far larger, some 300dpi. I also found there was far too much 'noise' in the image so I blurred the final version significantly in Graphic Converter. I also chopped the image it up so that I could fit it all on one board. This in all likelihood was how the manufacturer made the original that the illustration was made from.

After several small draft carvings and getting used to machine with pine I got some poplar. When it was all said and done I had this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26413016@N06/2475847643/

I'd say I'm close to getting what I want.

Any tips, suggestions and what-not I'd like to hear 'em.

SilentBob
05-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Interesting looking clock. I’m anxious to see the finished project.
Happy carving,
Bob

LABMAN
05-08-2008, 07:01 PM
i mainly use photoshop for my patterns. i would deal with the noise in PS by making two layers of the same image. then i would blur as you did the bottom one. then on the highest layer i would fool with the brightness and contrast. usually i can get rid of alot of noise that way. after that i would lower the opacity down on the top layer until i have the sharpness of the top layer with the noise blurred out on the bottom then i would merge or flatten the images. after that i would try the brightness/ contrast again. this is obviously just a suggestion since i dont have the image in front of me.

fwharris
05-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Vaughn,

Very nice carve. I looked at your other photos on flickr too. Like your comments on the dust. No need to apologize for the dust. We expect it by now. The clock should look great. Make sure you post some pictures when you get it done..

vaughn
05-08-2008, 09:07 PM
i mainly use photoshop for my patterns. i would deal with the noise in PS by making two layers of the same image. then i would blur as you did the bottom one. then on the highest layer i would fool with the brightness and contrast. usually i can get rid of alot of noise that way. after that i would lower the opacity down on the top layer until i have the sharpness of the top layer with the noise blurred out on the bottom then i would merge or flatten the images. after that i would try the brightness/ contrast again. this is obviously just a suggestion since i dont have the image in front of me.

Cool! Thanks for the suggestion!

vaughn
05-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Vaughn,

Very nice carve. I looked at your other photos on flickr too. Like your comments on the dust. No need to apologize for the dust. We expect it by now. The clock should look great. Make sure you post some pictures when you get it done..

Vaughn grins!

"The machine is bright and shiny now, a good vacuuming takes about 15 minutes near as I can tell. One thing that has surprised me is that the dust really doesn't go far from the machine which does make cleanup and upkeep easier."

"BTW, since you looked at the other images, I'd noted the 'bedding in' that my bit holders are undergoing. Do yours look similar? I've been keeping them VERY lightly oiled as the manual suggests."

fwharris
05-08-2008, 11:04 PM
Vaughn,

I would say judging from the pictures your bit holders look similar to mine. I would expect some 'bedding in' with the amount of torq. that is applied to the bit and adapter as well as the QC.

If you have read and searched through the forums topics I am sure you have seen some of Al's and Ken's and others pictures of the 'bedding in' . I would not let it get to bad as it could cause it to get stuck in the QC or even come out while carving.