PDA

View Full Version : Quick Change Chuck

LABMAN
05-08-2008, 02:15 PM
What Craftsman Quick Change Chuck Is Used On The Carvewright?
1/4" Or The 1/2" Unit. Unsure Of The Shaft Size On The Z Truck.

Kenm810
05-08-2008, 03:54 PM
LABMAN.

A replacement Quick Change Chuck for the machines is available from LHR the makers of the -- CarveWright and CompuCarve Machines.

Ps. The LHR QC Chuck for the carving machines threads on, while one of the Craftsman QC Chuck is a compression fit.

Dan-Woodman
05-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Ken
Compression fit must be cheaper to manufacture, do you have any pictures of the compression fitting and shaft? Just curious as to what it looks like.
later daniel

Kenm810
05-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Dan,

Here ya go, I had to dig back through some Photo file folders
but I knew I had saved a picture of one someplace.

forqnc
05-09-2008, 07:12 AM
LABMAN.

The Sears Craftsman Quick Change Chuck does not fit the Carvewright or CompuCarve Machines,
It designed to only fit the Craftsman routers, not the carving machines.
The QC Chuck for the Carving Machines except both the 1/4" and 1/2" bit adapters from CarveWright or Sears.
A replacement Chuck for the machines will have to come LHR the makers of the -- CarveWright and CompuCarve Machines.

Ps. The LHR QC Chuck for the carving machines threads on, while the Craftsman QC Chuck is a compression fit.

Hey Ken, maybe I misunderstood your first sentence but Craftsman does sell a QC for the Craftsman Carving machine. I have one which I bought last year from another forum member (name escapes me). I have no idea where he got them, but he was selling several at one time. It is shown in the picture top left. It fits, but I have never seen any in my area Sears.

forqnc
05-09-2008, 07:13 AM
Forgot picture

Kenm810
05-09-2008, 08:13 AM
Hi forqnc,

Recently when I went to my local Sears to buy a few extra 1/4" and 1/2" bit adapters for CC Machine, they had the 3 packs of 1/4", but the 1/2" they had were packed with a QC Chuck and Wrench, the Sales Rep assured me it was for the compucarve machine and at the time sounded like a good idea to have an extra. Later I found that it didn't fit and was the wrong Design. I've since ordered and received the proper QC Chuck from LHR. When I tried the return the incorrect Craftsman QC Chuck to Sear,
I was told it was the only kind Sears sold or stocked.

Goes to show you -- things change

Could you post the Sears Craftsman number on the label of the pack in your photo

forqnc
05-09-2008, 09:51 AM
Hi Ken, that's all I have seen at my local (6) Sears stores too is the wrong one. Like I said I recieved the one in the picture from a forum member, and I was sceptical, because like you I'd bought the wrong one from Sears earlier, but the one in the picture does fit and looks the same as LHR.
I don't know maybe Sears got the right ones when the machines where first coming out and then realized they did not fit their Hand routers, and have since stop stocking/selling. More people have hand routers than CC/CW equals more sales?

As for the label number I'll check when I get home, this work thing really gets in the way of Carving time, :D
I'll also see if I can get a better picture.

HighTechOkie
05-09-2008, 10:01 AM
The Sears # is 26690. The new Quickrout kit is 26691. Last summer, there were a couple guys on ebay that had several of these older kits, so I stocked up and passed on a few to fellow forum members.

Sucks that the old stock has dried up and Sears changed their adapter.

Rob

Kenm810
05-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Thanks guys for the input, It's happened to me a couple of times before with Sears and Craftsman Tools, When I saw something online or in the Craftsman Catalog that I wanted. When I went the the Sears store to see if I could just pick one of the shelf instead of ordering it, Even though I had the part numbers, the sales staff had no idea what I was asking for, or what I was talking about.
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif --- Oh well they did have a pair of work shoes I was looking for.

Ps. Yes, I know sears stores don't stock everything Sears sells

Eagle Hollow
05-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Thanks guys for the input, It's happened to me a couple of times before with Sears and Craftsman Tools, When I saw something online or in the Craftsman Catalog that I wanted. When I went the the Sears store to see if I could just pick one of the shelf instead of ordering it, Even though I had the part numbers, the sales staff had no idea what I was asking for, or what I was talking about.
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif --- Oh well they did have a pair of work shoes I was looking for.

Ps. Yes, I know sears stores don't stock everything Sears sells

Looks like that ugly "BAIT & SWITCH" monster may have reared its ugly head again.

Jerry

AngusB
05-09-2008, 02:57 PM
My chuck has not worked right since I got the machine. I have to fight with it for several minutes to get anything in or out, and sometimes I just give up and walk away after 15min of trying. I've tried several of the the suggestions in the forum, except for dismantling the chuck completely. So I finally got around to calling Sears to get a new chuck on warrenty.

They could not find the compucarve under the model# on the machine and manual (133.217540) but eventually did find it under model (183.217540). I stayed on the phone and went through their http://searspartsdirect.com site with him and found the part here: http://tinyurl.com/4k4mpt Part# A005-00033

Not thilled about the 14day expected delivery time, but they did not give me a hard time or anything (did try to sell me some unrelated stuff: drill, home repairs, etc :) ), but then just put in the order and we were done. Confused about the model # difference, but maybe its just a typo in their system.