PDA

View Full Version : Another carving question

Ike
05-08-2008, 11:54 AM
I tried searching this and couldn't find anything close to my problem. I set the machine to make a sign with a cut out arch. It was a very long project and it carved all the lettering and background and was ready to cut out the arch. This carving created a lot of dust so the bar thing the bit touches didn't come out. Expecting to clean it I waited for the prompt.

Instead of asking for the bit it started and cut a straight line across the board and ruin my sign. Has anyone else had this problem or is Murphy's law still running my life!?

Digitalwoodshop
05-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Since this is post #1 Welcome.

Since the bit flag not coming out and the computer is getting incorrect length data for the bit. Because of this, the computer ruined your board. It really is not Murphy but inexperience that is to blame.

Bit flag problems are very common. The fixes range from cleaning and lubrication to making sure the right side Cover Motor Power Safety Switch Wire is not out of position preventing the head from getting to the bit flag to a loose belt.

Reading about 3 months worth of Troubleshooting posts and the manual will better prepare you for the adventure with this machine. Every problem you will experience in the next few weeks from the head being cranked all the way up and clicks and won't come down to why is there a line through my carving when I use a 10 inch long board. Finding the 7 inch rule of wood will make your experience more rewarding.

The "Search" feature will help you in the short term.

Good Luck and Welcome.

AL

Search for "bit flag" for more.

Amonaug
05-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Prime example why cleaning during carving is essential. Personally I got tired of worrying about the bit plate coming out so I jammed a wad of tape to keep it permanently out. It's not a problem unless you deal with the max width boards you can use then you have to make sure it won't get in the way when carving.

LittleRedWoodshop
05-08-2008, 01:05 PM
also makes downdraft sound like a GOOD idea, keeps the machine a lot cleaner.

Ike
05-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Thank you, I did search and found nothing. I was not concerned the bit flapper not coming out. Nor was I worried about the dust build up. So I probably didn't explain the problem correctly.

The final thing on the project was to cut the sign in an oval. It asked for the 1/8 cutting bit. I changed it and hit enter, I watched it go to find the bit and due to it being dusty the flapper failed to extend. So I reached for my air hose to blow some dust out and the darn thing started. Then made a terrible noise and instead of making an an oval, it went straight across the lettering. Thus a ruin sign and an unhappy camper.

Thank you again I guess I will write it off as a fluke. Thanks again for the welcome I not too sure about this machine?

sweliver
05-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Thank you, I did search and found nothing. I was not concerned the bit flapper not coming out. Nor was I worried about the dust build up. So I probably didn't explain the problem correctly.

The final thing on the project was to cut the sign in an oval. It asked for the 1/8 cutting bit. I changed it and hit enter, I watched it go to find the bit and due to it being dusty the flapper failed to extend. So I reached for my air hose to blow some dust out and the darn thing started. Then made a terrible noise and instead of making an an oval, it went straight across the lettering. Thus a ruin sign and an unhappy camper.

Thank you again I guess I will write it off as a fluke. Thanks again for the welcome I not too sure about this machine?

I'm being sarcastic...but, the following is my mantra after much trial and ERROR this is my carve regime.

I monitor the measuring process religeously. If the bit plate doesn't flip out when the truck lowers....I open the cover, pull the "flapper" out, insert a 2" paint brush to keep the 'flapper' under the bit, the same brush I use for cleaning, hit enter after closing the cover, when the the z truck is half way back to the key pad i remove the brush, hit enter and voila. A few more steps but happy carving! And happy me and recipients of my projects.

To avoid all this....clean, clean, clean, remove the cover, clean, lube, and did I say clean/vacuum. Wide projects hinder the down draft which screws up the board sensor and bit plate. So did I mention clean/vacuum? I get lazy with the cleaning and hiccups begin.

sw

Digitalwoodshop
05-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Something else to be aware of.... While the bit is moving down toward the bit plate it is looking for the touch by monitoring the Z Motor Current. At the moment the current spikes touching the bit plate it reverses. If while it is moving down and you start another tool in your shop you can cause a false reading. I did it one time and my V 60 did a air carve due to it.

I spend the time after bit change watching it go through the motions. Making sure it touches the bit plate.

AL

Ike
05-08-2008, 11:56 PM
Something else to be aware of.... While the bit is moving down toward the bit plate it is looking for the touch by monitoring the Z Motor Current. At the moment the current spikes touching the bit plate it reverses. If while it is moving down and you start another tool in your shop you can cause a false reading. I did it one time and my V 60 did a air carve due to it.

I spend the time after bit change watching it go through the motions. Making sure it touches the bit plate.

AL

TY, Digitalwoodshop, but my machine was the only thing running and it wasn't a fluke. It died with a axis error 246 and that's all folks. I guess I should be glad I got 130 hours out of it?

Well I don't know I guess I call the company and see what's next. I have had nothing but problems with it today it ruined 3 signs. So I know why at the very end it went wild and cut across the board instead of an arch. I did change the arch to be just cut into the wood. So I could cut it out by hand and that didn't work. All the trys messed up at the end.

I will call tomorrow and see what they will do. Then there may be another one for sale?

Amonaug
05-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Sounds like maybe the Z-pack went belly up?

Ike
05-09-2008, 11:00 PM
Sounds like maybe the Z-pack went belly up?

Exactly, I can't even move the truck by hand with the power off. It clicks and has jerky movement. The only good thing I was able to use one screwed up sign. I just needed to trim the bad spot off and hand cut the arch.

I am not real happy with this thing. I seem to spend just about the same time cleaning it as using it. Not very productive. I will call the company when I can and see what is going to cost me?

Digitalwoodshop
05-10-2008, 08:31 AM
Could you have sawdust impacted in the z belt and cogs? Is the Z motor loose from it's mounts? If you can't move it by hand than something is binding it. Bearings clean?

LHR is working today. 1-800-573-1226

AL

Ike
05-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Could you have sawdust impacted in the z belt and cogs? Is the Z motor loose from it's mounts? If you can't move it by hand than something is binding it. Bearings clean?

LHR is working today. 1-800-573-1226

AL

Digitalwoodshop, I am sure there is dust in there! I try and try to keep it clean. But with all the pockets and enclosed places it is not easy. Didn't feel like calling today. I think I still have a month or so of warranty. I will just send it in to them, to fix it.

Then when it comes back I will be selling it. I haven't used it in about 8 months. Before this last what I thought small project. It had only had 120 hours or so on it.

So anyone interested in buying it, plz PM me.