PDA

View Full Version : Caraving Problem?

jerrbitt
05-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Just finished carving a project. I have used the filagree pattern before but this time I noticed that on the two filagrees, about four "holes" on each one appeared. It seems that the bit plunged slighlty. The holes are about 1/8 inch in diameter and maybe a 1/16 or so below the depth of the pattern. Almost seems like a start of a drill hole. And the holes are random -- different places on each of the filagrees. Other than that the rest of the project and other patterns were normal.

Any ideas? Hopefully not the start of a problem on a Sears machine that has trouble-free right out of the box.

Digitalwoodshop
05-07-2008, 08:25 PM
Is the board short? You need 7 inches of extra wood to keep the wood physically under the rollers. Designer board length 10 inches, real world board 17 inches.

Board popping up NOT under the rollers or a LOOSE Bit in the holder.

Edit.

63 posts.... Then it's not the 7 inch rule.... Loose bit or bad pattern....

AL

jerrbitt
05-08-2008, 09:28 AM
I use stretchers to accomodate staying under the rollers so don't beleive that's the problem.

As to a loose bit, I do have trouble getting the bit to seat in the check but fairly sure it was secure inasmuch as the rest of the patters carved okay.

Kenm810
05-08-2008, 10:18 AM
jerrbitt,

Is it possible that the filagree pattern may have become corrupted?

Random noise in a pattern file can occasionally cause spots or dents in a cavring.

Try reloading the .mpc file to see if anything is there or reload the memory card to see if the file on it is bad.

Just a Thought