PDA

View Full Version : new error

bizbiki
05-06-2008, 07:41 PM
I built a carrier board today and attached a piece of walnut to it, all seems square and level. Now I cant get the cw to measure the board. At first it seemed to be tracking ok and when it got to the right hand side the board stopped movieng but the traction belts moved under the sled. No binding could be detected. Now I am getting a error 400 when loading a piece a wood without the sled. Please help this is a mothers day gift for my wife

Digitalwoodshop
05-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Walnut wood does not reflect light as good as lighter wood. You can put masking tape on the board to help it reflect light better.

Do a Sensor Check and make sure you are getting about 150 using white copy paper on top of a board. Clean the sensor too if not.

What does your sled look like? Post pictures? Rails?

Rails prevent the decompression of the roller turning on the board detector.

Let us know,

AL

bizbiki
05-06-2008, 08:45 PM
The wood is somewhat dark, but I just placed another oiece of the walnut and it seemed to measure it ok.

I m ashamed to say that I dont know how to post a picture of my sled but it is a carrier board with no rails, about 36 inches long with one fixed piece of 3.5 inches at the right side and an adjustable piece, also 3.5 inches on the left hand side.

The entire board is made of 3/4 inch melaine over what appears to be particle board. And while measuring it (the cw) seems to "catch a gear" while measuring first going slow then speeding up. It seems to stop at the same place each time like it is getting caught on something but I cant see or feel anything; however could the weight of the sled on the left side when it is almost to the end be causing the right hand side to lift up enough to give this problem?

I have read other posts and some people do use this materia to construct their sleds. Mine does have alot of the weight towards the left hand side.

The piece to be carved is about 14 inches long.

I am using out feed support rollers.

hotpop
05-06-2008, 09:45 PM
The entire board is made of 3/4 inch melaine over what appears to be particle board. And while measuring it (the cw) seems to "catch a gear" while measuring first going slow then speeding up.

The melaine may be the problem. It is hard and slick. Try adding a strip of masking tape under the edge that contacts the brass roller.

bizbiki
05-07-2008, 06:19 AM
After going around and around with this thling last nght I went ahead and carved the project without staying under the compression rollers. It did just fine.

But I am thinking that the melaime is either to slick or too heavy to turn the brass roller.

You know, this machine is great but it sure can get fustrating at times!!

DocWheeler
05-07-2008, 09:37 AM
bizbiki,

I found that the "400" error occured when the sensor tries to find the edge of the sled but can not see anything. There must be something on the top of the ends (last 3/4" or so) of the sled and flush with the top of the rails. This can either be a filler piece of wood or a piece of tape.

Hope you get it working!

bizbiki
05-07-2008, 10:03 AM
I am wondering could having the board sensor trying to pick-up the edge of the back stop which is very bright white on a background of the same matieral make so that the sensor could not tell the difference b/t the two. As the shop is also quite bright. (maybe I was blinding the cw.