PDA

View Full Version : measuring length of board when on sled

ag. teacher
05-06-2008, 01:23 PM
I built a sled out of MDF with rails on both sides. When I mount a small workpiece to the sled, teh machine will measure the width but does not pick-up the length. I put tape at the end of the board. I thought since the MDF and workpiece were close to the same color, they may blend together too much so I painted the sled black. The carvewright still will not properly measure the lentgh when on the sled. It will measure the board when it is not on the sled.

DocWheeler
05-06-2008, 01:27 PM
ag. teacher,

Do you get an error message?
Is there something for the sensor to see for about 3/4" at the ends of the sled?
Perhaps a picture of the sled would help.

Jeff_Birt
05-06-2008, 01:28 PM
The machine does not try to sense the end of the board until just after the corresponding pressure roller switch is released. In other words it keeps moving the board through until the board (or sled rails) move past the pressure roller on that side and THEN it looks for the board's edge with the board sensor. This allows the machine to ignore gaps between a work piece and the sled. Your sleds rails can be no longer than the size of board you are trying to measure.

Take a look at last months Tips & Tricks: http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Apr08.pdf

It is all about sleds...

Router-Jim
05-06-2008, 01:41 PM
I am thinking that after your machine senses the decompression of the rollers and starts to look for the end of the board that it can't see the black.

I could be wrong but I have never had a problem with my sled that has white ends.

mtylerfl
05-06-2008, 01:48 PM
I am thinking that after your machine senses the decompression of the rollers and starts to look for the end of the board that it can't see the black.

I could be wrong but I have never had a problem with my sled that has white ends.

That's my thought, as well - the sensor has trouble with dark colors - painting the sled black was probably a mistake.

Digitalwoodshop
05-06-2008, 07:54 PM
I am wondering if your sled had RAILS on it? Can you post a picture of it?

Might be rails preventing decompression?

AL