PDA

View Full Version : Great here we go again.....

TerryT
05-05-2008, 06:46 AM
My first computer went belly up. Had to re-register my designer software. Worked great for a few months. Last night my new computer did an automatic upgrade on the HP software and mother board bios. This morning I tried to run designer and get "The evaluation period has expired". I gotta say this is really a stupid (from the users viewpoint) way or doing things. Every time something changes the software craps out. I cant even get to the "Licenses" stuff to try and fix it.

NOT GOOD L A CHAR!

Now I gotta wait a few hours till LHR comes to work and then HOPE this is one of the few days they answer the phone.

deemon328
05-05-2008, 06:54 AM
I'm not sure what we're supposed to do with Designer outside of using it with the CW that warrants such copy protection. Sorry I can't be of any help, but I can understand your PC frustrations. It's why I bought a Mac. I'm still trying to break totally away from the PC, but it's a tough break that's going to take a while. I do believe that the right OS with the right software eliminates stress.

TerryT
05-05-2008, 07:32 AM
Dustin,
I'm not sure what it is exactly they are trying to do either. It's bad enough as it is, but when you add the fact that support isn't available when I am and I have to take time off of work to be here to fix it, when I do get lucky enough to have them answer the phone, then it just becomes rediculous. It's no wonder so many people just give up and get rid of the machine.

As I'm typing this I just noticed the little smilly faces on the right hand side. Cute, but the one I'd like to use doesn't seem to be listed. Hmmm, well I guess it doesn't involve a face anyway.

Jeff_Birt
05-05-2008, 08:37 AM
Licensing schemes like this are tied to hardware. When you install a piece of hardware it is registered in the registry and a lot of software packages (not just Designer) will pick several of those numbers, do a bunch of fancy math, and come up with a number that describes your computer. It sounds like your HP update really screwed up some things. I have done bios updates, etc before and NOT screwed up Designer, so I would have to say the problem lies with the way HP did the update, NOT CW.

If you have not used up both of your registrations, you should be able to re-register your computer. If you have used both registrations then you will need to call CW and they can get you fixed up in a few minutes on the phone. They have techs there Monday through Saturday, 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM, surely you can find a few minutes to call them?

Audie
05-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Time...where oh where does it go! It would be nice IF we could fire off an email or message linked to CW support when they are closed....the we could go to work, come home and have the answer/issue resolved. For instance...if my licensing was messed up, I could send a message asking the to eliminate the "Home Computer" license so that I could activate it fresh. Possible? Hmmmmm...

Paul Brown
05-05-2008, 09:44 AM
You can send them an email anytime you want, does'nt mean that ya will have an answer when you turn your pc back on. I guess they need some time off too. Paul Brown

TerryT
05-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Time...where oh where does it go! It would be nice IF we could fire off an email or message linked to CW support when they are closed....the we could go to work, come home and have the answer/issue resolved. For instance...if my licensing was messed up, I could send a message asking the to eliminate the "Home Computer" license so that I could activate it fresh. Possible? Hmmmmm...

Yes, you could do that. Good luck. LOL