PDA

View Full Version : This is strange and alittle annoying

Bflat5
05-04-2008, 09:09 PM
I've been trying to make a display stand. Nothing fancy, just routed edges and a small slot at one end. It routs the edges and cuts the slot just fine, but it doesn't cut the base out all the way.

It starts off fine. It asks for the routing bit then asks for the cutting bit. The first cut at one end goes all the way through as it should. Then it asks for the routing bit again. It routs the other 3 sides and then asks for the cutting bit yet again. This time instead of cutting the first 2 passes the bit doesn't even make contact with the wood.

Not a huge problem really, I can always cut it out the rest of the way, but sure would be nice if it would just cut it out as it should.

It looks like it's not recognizing the rout and trying to cut what has already been removed.

Makes sense? It's got me a little baffled.

mtylerfl
05-05-2008, 07:56 AM
Are you using the Cut Path feature?...or are you using manual settings for cut depth? ...during the initial setup, are you sure you inserted the correct bit(s) when prompted?

If you will post your mpc, it might improve chances for diagnosing the problem.

Digitalwoodshop
05-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Plus you should always get in the habit of watching the bit touch the bit flag as a miss or stopping high not touching the bit flag can cause this problem.

Clean your Z Belt too. A chunk of sawdust in a cog can cause a false height reading.

AL

Bflat5
05-05-2008, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think what I did was use a larger ogee bit than I specified in the designer. In a way it doesn't make sense because it is still supposed to know the depth of the board and does make a complete cut once.

I'm going to try it again and make sure I use all the right bits and see if that works.

I keep my air hose close by and blow the dust out as it's carving and get it a bit more thoroughly when I change bits. It still asks for the tacks to be cleaned sometimes, so maybe that could be the problem as well.