PDA

View Full Version : Flex Shaft Lube Question

ncamp
05-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Last weekend, my flex shaft was running hot in one spot. Pulled the cable out, placed it in a ziplock bag and sprayed it with chain lube with moly.

Like an idiot, I forgot to take it out of the bag before heading out of town for the week. When I got home, I saw the bag. It was not sealed well, so the lube was dryed out in the bag. I guess I have two questions, do I still need to hang it to let it drip. The outside seems to be dry. Or should I just run the the process again.

Thanks.

Kenm810
05-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Bad luck it dried out, But good question - what to do next.

Myself I'd run through the process again to loosen any lube that may dried out in or on the flex-shaft, just to be on the safe side.
Then give it a good long drip time to remove any extra lube that might leak into the machines spindal bearings --- Just my thoughts.

ncamp
05-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks,

It is sitting in new lube as I type.

olkarch
05-07-2008, 07:08 AM
I have a more basic question. Where can you find "a commercially available chain lube with Moly?" This week I have been to 5 stores (hardware, farm supply, home supply, WalMart) and nothing resembling that description has been found.

Can someone give me a bit better description -- a brand name, product name, store name, or website?

Olin

Kenm810
05-07-2008, 07:45 AM
Olin,

L716 Industrial Chain Lubricant with Moly from Radiator Specialty Co.
Try a few auto parts stores or motor cycle shops in your area

Bubbabear
05-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Go to your local ACE hardware tell them an exact name and they can pull it up and order it be there in 3 days. That was all it took for me and now my local has it set to where when anyone buys the ones on the shelf new is automaticly oredered

olkarch
05-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Thanks Bubba and Ken. I'll try that now that I have a brand name to try. I'm glad I started looking before I really need it.

Olin