PDA

View Full Version : Plz help me repair the probe wire

scannerpal
05-03-2008, 08:41 AM
Somehow the motor decided to spin (I was being stupid and pushed the wrong buttons) and the probe wire snapped at the plug end. Fortunately, no other damage is evident. I'd like to solder in a new plug. The wire seems to have 2 leads, a white inside wire, and the outside copper shield mesh. (I only see two leads, yet curiously the molex end of the patch cable has 4 pins.)

I'm guessing that the patch cable jack accepts a 2.5mm aka 3/32" audio plug, as used with cell/radio phone headsets. The local radio shack only had a stereo plug, but I'm guessing that I can use it by soldering the white wire to the tip, and the copper shield to the sleeve (barrel) of the plug, as well as to the ring for good measure.

Can someone please confirm or correct my guesses?

Thanks,

-Dave

ChrisAlb
05-03-2008, 08:45 AM
Not sure I can help with the wiring as I've never had mine apart to see it. BUT, in the future, when using the probe, pull the flex shaft out of the truck so it can't spin.

Kenm810
05-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Dave,

If your machine is still under LHR Warranty,
give them a call today or Monday and explain to the tech that you were trying to use the probe scanner
and that the cut motor started and snapped the wire, see what they can do or say.

CarveWright Service Phone Numbers
For CarveWright and CompuCarve Machines
You can contact CarveWright by phone at
1-713-473-6572 1-713 473-6545 or 1-800-573-1226
email at support@carvewright.com.
New hours are Monday through Saturday 9:00 am To 6:00 pm Central Time.

scannerpal
05-12-2008, 08:00 PM
I made the repair. I was wrong about there being a copper shield, after stripping back, it turns out there are two wires, white and black. I made a guess that white went to the 2.5mm plug tip, and black went to ground. Repaired it with a replacement stereo-style plug from radio shack, and it works!!! Woo hoo...