PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten Pine

Kenm810
05-02-2008, 03:51 PM
I saved a few slabs of 5/4" dryed pine with the bark, moss and liken still on it.
Its been laying around in the back of my wood rack for over a year.
Put it through my planer to check the new blades, later I rubbed a little golden Oak stain on it and a couple coats of sealer.
Then ran it through my Carver, -- came out kind of nice. Now that I've seen it, I wish I had saved more ot it.

Ps. I haven't cleaned or sanded the carving yet ---- the Carved Pine is incredibly white as is.

brenda123
05-02-2008, 03:55 PM
That is absolutely gorgeous!! The golden oak is beautiful. I actually have a can of that i havnt even tried yet. Will have to move it up the to do list. Thanks for sharing......

ChrisAlb
05-02-2008, 04:32 PM
That's fantastic Ken! I've been wanting to dig into my firewood pile and slice some hardwood logs like that with my chainsaw. I'll have to find someone with a planner though. Simply beautiful work!

Kenm810
05-06-2008, 01:19 PM
I carved this Dove for my Daughter to give to her Sister in-law for her in help with their Church’s youth program.

Carved on ¾” x 14” x 14” MDF with a Black Cherry faux wood grain finish, and an Acrylic top coat that made the Vector cut and text look golden, all the Carving and Text was done with the 90 Degree V-Groove Bit in 16 Minutes. In photo 2, I put an arrow pointing to the reflection in the finish of my blue shirt also my arms and hands holding the camera

Audie
05-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Wow, that looks so nice! Great Ken!! (Off to go find some old pine I have out back!!!!)

mtylerfl
05-06-2008, 01:50 PM
I carved this Dove for my Daughter to give to her Sister in-law for her in help with their Church’s youth program.

Carved on ¾” x 14” x 14” MDF with a Black Cherry faux wood grain finish, and an Acrylic top coat that made the Vector cut and text look golden, all the Carving and Text was done with the 90 Degree V-Groove Bit in 16 Minutes. In photo 2, I put an arrow pointing to the reflection in the finish of my blue shirt also my arms and hands holding the camera

Hello Ken,

That is beautiful! (however, it looks like "Holy" is spelled wrong - i.e., "holly")

DocWheeler
05-06-2008, 02:00 PM
Ken,

I like it anyway - always good around Christmas time!

ncamp
05-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Both are great. I may have to rethink using pine.

Kenm810
05-06-2008, 05:38 PM
(however, it looks like "Holy" is spelled wrong - i.e., "holly")

Wow Your right Michael, I'm in need of a proof reader in my old age.
Easy one to correct, --- Hows that, it also can be recarved in less than 20minutes and a dollars worth of MDF. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif

badger
05-06-2008, 06:27 PM

Easy one to correct, --- Hows that, it also can be recarved in less than 20minutes and a dollars worth of MDF. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif

um, I know Im getting old too but I do think that he spelled it right in the way he was using it.

Holy- religious
Holly- foliage

It could also be that since he edited his post he corrected the carve and posted a new image which makes this conversation null in void. :)

Kenm810
05-06-2008, 06:51 PM
badger,

Sorry to confuse anyone, I did originally spell it wrong,
but corrected the photos when Michael pointed it out to me.
A New one will be carved in the morning.
Thanks

mtylerfl
05-06-2008, 09:04 PM

You made God happy now;)

CustomWestCoast
05-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Spelling looked right to me LOL

Spanglerg@hotmail.com
05-06-2008, 11:38 PM
It appears that once again a carver has exhibited that the only limitations that exist are within ones imagination, or guidance..........

forqnc
05-07-2008, 06:35 AM
Did you carve the pine on a carrier/sled Ken, if not, how did you get the brass roller to track on the bark?

Both carvings look good. I might have to re-think my stubbourness to not carve MDF

Kenm810
05-07-2008, 07:35 AM
Thanks Folks,

forqnc,

Yes, I did use one of my Sleds for carving this project; -- I’ve accumulated a goodly supply of them in various sizes and shapes. Because the pine slab was tapered at both edges and wider at the bottom than at the top it was necessary. Also the side rails and filler blocks were 1/16” taller than the stock being carved to prevent the pressure rollers from breaking the bark off the pine or damaging the finish and stain I had used on the project prior carving it. In the photo of the sled you can also see the shims I needed to use to hold the pine from rocking and to keep it level for carving.

I also carve only a limited amount of MDF for jobs like this one, I've found when doing Text or Vector cuts it removes far less stock than a normal graphic pattern from a project, plus I have been using a combination Down and Side Draft blower system along with an Air Jet sweep mounted on the carving head that really does a nice job of controling the fine MDF dust.

forqnc
05-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the explanation Ken.