PDA

View Full Version : I need a psychic

hotpop
05-01-2008, 06:36 PM
Below is an e-mail I sent to LHR with a new machine problem. I waited two business days now for a response. Meantime, while I'm waiting I thought I'd throw it out to the forum for review. Movement of truck Y & Z axis is smooth. I'm 99% sure it is not a mechanical problem. Perhaps we have a psychic out there that can give me a solution.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Tech Support

I have a new problem with my machine. I ran three Mermaid projects yesterday. Each one has random lines going across at various depths on the "Y" axis.

Today, I checked out the machine thoroughly and there is no looseness in "Y" "Z" truck. I checked the carving bit and the set screws are tight.

In Designer I changed the depth of cut from .550" to .625" deep. My plan was to recut the pattern and eliminate the lines.

Approximately 2/3 the way through the project the cutter started cutting deeper and went through the board and cut into the machine. See photos.

Please advise!

twehr
05-01-2008, 06:59 PM
... it looks somewhat like a problem I had. Here is what I determined to be the cause for me.

If dust gets between the drive belt (in this case, on the Z axis, it can cause the bet to slip a notch or two as it goes around the toothed pulley. I eliminated it by cleaning thoroughly, then stopping the cuts every 15 minutes or so and cleaning again. Sometimes, I think it could easily go longer, but I really hate getting nearly done with a 3 hour cut and having to start over.

Mel, you probably are keeping everything clean while you cut, but wanted to offer these thoughts for anyone else that may read this.

Digitalwoodshop
05-01-2008, 07:21 PM
My guess is the Z Motor Encoder. So you need a new Z Motor. Do you have the new Z Bundle or the older 16 pin version?

Look familiar..... Same problem.... Bad Z Motor.

AL

If you have the old Z then you need a new Z Pack

If you have the new Z Pack then you need a new Z Motor.

hotpop
05-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Thanks Al and Silvia,

LHR has had the machine three times for other reasons. I suspect the Z pack was replaced one of those times. I'll go out and check it out tomorrow morning.

Digitalwoodshop
05-01-2008, 07:55 PM
With that Fish Carving I did have the new Z Bundle and first thought it was the cable so I pulled it from my backup machine to see. Same problem.... Replaced the Z Motor and it is running today... When I talked to LHR I knew what to ask for..... No playing around sending parts and waiting to see if it fixed it.... I knew.... That helped.

Being your machine went in then I am 99% sure you DO have the new Z Bundle.... Can I buy your bad motor? After they send you a replacement and you are running. Taking apart broken parts is a learning experience for me. I broke the Cut Motor Magnet Story here first with the CCM then the NEW round magnet fix. Inquiring minds want to know..... Do they have a deposit on the Z motor? I don't think so.... Just the cut motor and the board detectors I think..

AL

liquidguitars
05-01-2008, 11:53 PM
z pack yes.. and you need a bit more end wood to keep the work from moving or lifting as i only see about 2.5"
on the end cut.

try a sled with extra 4" on the ends.

LG

hotpop
05-02-2008, 08:17 PM
I talked with LHR Tech Support today. They agree my problem is probably the Z motor. They are sending me a new Z motor.