PDA

View Full Version : some mussings about QC problems

ASD HI
05-01-2008, 12:39 AM
Just some thoughts about QC problems. When I first used the machine there was no problems outside of scaling issues. Until one day the bit was harder to remove then before. I have been using the two hand method and bit would pop right out. This time I had to use the bit removal tool. It came out with a bit of hesitation and a lot of coaxing. The next time I used the machine it started making a different sound after a few minutes of cutting, meaning something's wrong. I stop the machine and found that the bit was loose (wobbled) in the QC. At first I didn't connect the two together but having some time to think about it, it seemed possible that the tool might have torqued the bit in such a way as to cause it to damage the QC. The tool doesn't pull straight down but instead uses lever action which applies a sideward force (as well as a downward) on the QC.

Has anyone experienced this? Or am I off on a wrong track?

I also noticed that not all QCs are created the same. Having problems with the QC I decided to buy a spare along with the replacement. One of them the bit seats nicely with no problems while the other even if you hear a click and do the pull and wiggle routine to see if it’s seated, it really isn’t. I found that out soon enough. After pull the QC out and examining the action the bit isn’t drawn into the QC completely all the time. There’s just enough pressure to hold it in firmly but not securely.

I guess like a lot of other postings mention: you have to pay attention to the details.

ChrisAlb
05-01-2008, 04:47 AM
It probably has dust and chips impacted in it. (Very Common). If you use the "slingshot" action at each bit change and after every carve it will loosen this impacted dust.

The Slingshot - Lift the collar up and let it "snap" back down. Do this several times until you see nothing more falling out. It may take several snaps to "start" getting stuff out also.

I've done this from the very first use. Now almost a year and over 200 hours. Along with proper lube, my chuck has never given me a problem.

As soon as you feel it "sticking" in any way, you can bet it needs a good cleaning.

rjustice
05-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Something else to ponder... if the bit adapter doesnt seat tightly into the QC taper, the ball bearings that secure it in place will no doubt "peen" into the bit adapter while it is spinning and cutting..., to the point of making it seat less securely the next time. Kind of a vicious cycle at that point. If you have peen marks in your bit adapters, be especially sure that the bit adapter is seating tightly!!!

Ron

Digitalwoodshop
05-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Here is the picture of the peen marks. They are caused by a few things.... If the crotch of the QC that the set screws fit into when the bit is installed get impacted with sawdust, they can cause movement and peen marks. A Worn QC can also cause it. I had a worn QC last summer with 400 hours on it and it put BB or peen marks into a new bit holder in one 45 min carving. Getting peen marks I recommend cleaning or just replace it if it is worn.

AL

ASD HI
05-02-2008, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the replies. The QC in question was brand new. I swapped it out after it lost the bit. The QC does have a bit of a "stickiness" to it as if there is a burr or something catching the sleeve.

I try to clean out the QC after each use by vacuuming and then using a toothbrush to knock off any saw dust I can see (I use a mirror, suggested in an earlier thread) and then a dry lube.

Thanks for the suggestions I will try them.