PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Traction Drives

MikeO
04-30-2008, 10:36 PM
Started a project yesterday and when it got to the "measure the board" step, the board (a 1/4 in. thickness) was simply ejected from the machine but the motor keep on running and had to push the Stop button. I tried a different, thicker board and the measurement process caused the board to dance back and forth on the traction drives. The motor sounds like its straining or jamming somewhere. Read a post that suggested the sandpaper belts have shifted and are binding but haven't checked that yet. But if that's it, how do you move the belts back on center? Any other suggestions as to what might be happening? The machine only has about 20 hours on it.

ChrisAlb
05-01-2008, 05:42 AM
Hi MikeO and welcome!

You got the first part of it. The CW will handle down to 1/2" thick unless you use a sled or carrier board under thinner materials.

Make sure your "thicker" board is straight, parallel and not cupped or warped.

Make sure the sliding guide rail isn't too tight. A Great method for this is to fold a piece of standard 20 lb. printer paper in half. Hold it between the board and guide rail and let the rail "just" touch the paper.

Last but most important, make sure the machine is as clean as you can get it.

If you do find the belts are bunching up, call LHR and a tech will walk you through the adjustment. If they are not, it's likely one of the above causing the problems.

Also, use the search feature on this forum. You can find information on just about every aspect of this machine. For yours I'd try a search on "traction belts".

Also, any search word you use must be more than 4 letters or the search engine won't look for it.

Hope that helps and keep us posted on what's happing.

sirsumm
05-01-2008, 08:21 AM
I think that you may have two different issues going on here if I understand you correctly. The machine simply cannot carve something less than 1/2" thick. As a matter of fact, my machine will not carve on a board that is exactly 1/2". What mine will do is the same thing that you described. The board will just get spit out. What I believe is happening is that there is something in the mechanics of the machine compressing the rear roller, not instructing the machine to turn on the optical edge finder, thus it keeps feeding waiting for the rear roller to become uncompressed.

The second issue it sounds like you are having is your thicker board may not be quite square enough. Be really careful with this one, I tore a sandpaper belt having the same problem as you with the machine really loading the traction system down. It is possible that your head pressure is too high as well. Check it with a bathroom scale as outlined in the manual. As to the alignment, I haven't ever had that problem, but if the traction belts are overloaded it would seem very likely to me that the belts could walk around if the drive roller was slipping inside the belt.

Hope some of this helps
Jason

mtylerfl
05-01-2008, 08:35 AM
Hi Jason,

Just thought I would mention that I have no trouble at all with 1/2" stock in either of my machines. Something to watch for is that so-called 1/2" stock available at home improvement centers is often a NOMINAL measurement - not a true measurement.

For example, our local Lowes has 1/2" poplar stock, but it is NOT a full 1/2" - - however, they also have 1/2" pine stock and it IS a true 1/2" thickness. That's what I buy and it works just fine in the machines.

One of these days, I see a planer in my future - that way I can plane down thicker stock to whatever thickness I need.:)

Jeff_Birt
05-01-2008, 08:37 AM
I tried a different, thicker board and the measurement process caused the board to dance back and forth on the traction drives.

This is a sure sign of incorrect down pressure on the board. You should check your down pressure as mentioned previously. Most of the time the issue is that the vertical guide posts need lubricated. Apply some lithium grease to them and run the head up/down several times. It might be a good time to grease the jacking screws as well.

MikeO
05-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Will check out the compression pressure and see if that's the issue. Thanks to all who took time to help with this.

Digitalwoodshop
05-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Read a post that suggested the sandpaper belts have shifted and are binding but haven't checked that yet. But if that's it, how do you move the belts back on center? Any other suggestions as to what might be happening? The machine only has about 20 hours on it.

If the belts have shifted as did both belts on Chisel Me Timber's machine the best thing to do is replace the belts. That is what Chris and I did the other day meeting Chisel Me Timbers to FIX his machine.

Returning from a recent service both belts rolled under on the end near the keypad. I wish I had taken pictures..... They were so deformed the best thing to do was replace the belts.

IF you can't see BOTH ends of the sand paper belt edge looking at the end of the rollers you have a rolled belt. This will cause binding of the belt drive and the computer will keep reversing directions to try to clear the binding with poor results. Let it go and it will eventually break the X Drive Gear.

And like Chris said.... The Right side guide should be CLOSE but not touch the wood. The paper works great.

Stop now and look at the sand paper belts before you break a gear....

LHR works on Saturday. 1-800-573-1226

Good Luck,

AL