PDA

View Full Version : Overhang Patterns And Cut Paths

jerrbitt
04-30-2008, 03:51 PM
From the March 2008 issue of Tips and Tricks, I followed Michael Tyler’s instructions for “overhang pattern.”

Turned out good until I decided to experiment and create per his instructions an oval with a recessed center to get the effect he has on the front page. BUT, as you can see, something’s amiss. The cut path looks terrible and once I did a carve region, I lost the recessed center.

Plus just for my information, the cut path goes between the golfer’s legs which is what the pattern shows but I would prefer it otherwise. Question then is can you alter the cutpath through designer or do you have to edit the pattern?

AskBud
04-30-2008, 04:34 PM
From the March 2008 issue of Tips and Tricks, I followed Michael Tyler’s instructions for “overhang pattern.”

Turned out good until I decided to experiment and create per his instructions an oval with a recessed center to get the effect he has on the front page. BUT, as you can see, something’s amiss. The cut path looks terrible and once I did a carve region, I lost the recessed center.

Plus just for my information, the cut path goes between the golfer’s legs which is what the pattern shows but I would prefer it otherwise. Question then is can you alter the cutpath through designer or do you have to edit the pattern?
I suggest that you either enlarge the Oval, or just move the Golfer, so that the "outer" foot touches the oval. That should eliminate the cut between his legs.
AskBud

Digitalwoodshop
04-30-2008, 07:54 PM
I did not call up the MPC but with the cut list turned on you can DELETE some of the cut outs by clicking on them and pressing delete. I know this from some of my cut out Christmas Ornaments that had internal cut outs that I deleted leaving just the outline.

Good Luck,

AL

Major_A
04-30-2008, 08:32 PM
Try this... I moved the golfer and adjusted some of the lettering. The way you had it before you didn't need the Bit Optimization on you needed to apply a Draft. The letters were too high without a Draft and would've caused some major chipout.

cnsranch
05-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Here's an oval I used that worked pretty well. It was smoothed with the pattern editor.

Give a stab at replacing your oval with this one, follow tips and tricks, and see if you get the results you're looking for.

cnsranch
05-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Couldn't resist the attached - slow day...

jerrbitt
05-01-2008, 05:32 PM
I very much appreciate the revisions and suggestions.