PDA

View Full Version : Supplemental Tools

Deolman
04-30-2008, 03:46 PM
I know the answers will be varied, but I am trying to build up my shop. The question - What to do you have in your wood shop that complements what you do with the CarveWright. ie: What makes the usage easier, quicker, faster, or more enjoyable? (Yea, I know, I already have a PC.)

mtylerfl
04-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Tablesaw, radial arm saw, bandsaw, jigsaw, scrollsaw, drill press, hand router, hand drill, belt and orbital sanders.

Eagle Hollow
04-30-2008, 03:57 PM
Tablesaw, radial arm saw, bandsaw, jigsaw, scrollsaw, drill press, hand router, hand drill, belt and orbital sanders.

It's nice to add a planer, jointer, Dremel tool w/accessories, detail sander and osillating spindle sander.

Jerry

AskBud
04-30-2008, 04:11 PM
It's nice to add a planer, jointer, Dremel tool w/accessories, detail sander and osillating spindle sander.
Jerry

Michael T
All of the above tools are nice to have. However, most of us can not afford all of them at one time.
I suggest that you think about what you have to ask someone else to do for you, or borrow their tool or shop to do. Perhaps you are using a hand tool that takes more effort than you have time for. That may direct you to your next tool purchase.
AskBud

ncamp
04-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Two must haves:
Shop Vac and Air Compressor. Helps keeps it clean.

Nice to haves that everyone can afford:
A good hand chisel to remove the cut out tabs.
A small router table to do edge routes to save cut motor time.
Good pair of channel locks or adjustible pilers to the the quick removable bit out of the QC when it gets stuck.
Infeed and outfeed rollers for larger boards
ROS (Random orbital Sander)
Detail Sander
Dremmel Tool

Larger nice to haves:
Tablesaw
Beall Buffing system (for a mirror finish)
Osc. Belt and Spindle Sander

That is what I use most. I have a lot of other tools, but seldom use them with the carvewright.

Kenm810
04-30-2008, 05:59 PM
How about a,

10" Vertical Disc Sander
Lp Touch Kit
Finishers Spray Guns and Pots
Air Brush Paint System
12" Compound Cut Off Mitter Saw
Back Up Lap Top or PC
Digital Camera

Ps. Don't forget Your Eye and Ear Protection

ChrisAlb
04-30-2008, 06:27 PM
some of the more affordable stuff like Clamps, vice, various glues paints and stains, nice selection of hand sand papers, Roller stands for larger projects, files and rasps, utility knife for cutting tabs.

Take all the suggestions in this thread and you'll have a nicer shop than mine...lol

Great question!

Deolman
04-30-2008, 06:40 PM
Thank you, a lot of good ideas here. The reason I asked is because I can't find suitable work, I have run out of unemployment and may be forced to take an early retirement. :D I know I would go nuts just sitting around with nothing to do. I suspect the first thing I will need to buy is a wood burning stove to get rid of all the scrap. ;) There sure are a lot of second things though.

LollyWood
04-30-2008, 06:45 PM
For me the problem is having square straight stock at the start. A 6" jointer a Thickness planner, and a 10" drum sander are for me, an absolute must have to get my gizmo to work w/o a hitch. Stock is right before I start.

And these also have many other uses for other woodworking projects.

"If your stock's not straight at the start...don't expect it to be straight in the end."

:)

Digitalwoodshop
04-30-2008, 08:13 PM
On my Dream List is a 18 inch Thickness Sander...... After hand finishing all the Quilt and Wine Racks last summer.... WAX on Wax OFF.... I actually HURT my left Shoulder to the point that I still have pain today..... It did not help the day last winter when I fell on my outstretched left arm on the ice..... It did not hurt for 3 days, thought I had done some good falling..... Then the pain came back..... I can't touch my right shoulder.... But it is getting better....

Thickness Sander..... YA that is the ticket...... $999.00.......

BUT.....

The $3000.00 I just paid for a Graphtec FC7000 Plotter and the $1500.00 in Street Sign Blanks and the reflective and transparent vinyl to go along with it took center stage this week..... Ouch..... But one look at the web page www.liquid-lens.com and the download movie 9 minutes long will give you an idea of what direction my business is going.... Domed Stickers.... Tourists, Fire, EMS, Pet Tags....

Going to Laser Engrave some Leather Key Fobs this week too for a Hotel.... That should be fun...

Then I need to make more samples for a Fire Trade Show in Lancaster PA May 15th.... Reflective Property Stickers, Accountability Tags, Clip Boards, Spray Paint Stencil's and more.... Rotary engraved Plastic and Brass Accountability Tags too...

Then there is a dozen wine racks for the PNH (Paroxysmal Nocturnal Hemoglobininuria) Fund Raiser.... I promissed....

Then Sign samples for 3 stores.... And set up for custom sign orders.....

Lots of work.... I am Zoned Low Impact so I can never have an employee..... 60 Acres and you still can't do what you want..... Darn Laws....

Quit Wining and back to Designer.... It sure was some GREAT Sawdust Therapy.... No where close to the Quality of my Hero NORM.... But I have Fun.... Should be a GOOD Year.... A Variety of Products in a slow economy....

AL

In picture 4 is the Oak slabs from my Log cuttings that will be processed to become "Frugal Frames" Wood frames made from Quater Sawn slabs.... Fire Wood to Some.... A Glimmer of hope in my eye..... Oak Picture frames Carved and Laser Engraved.....

ChrisAlb
04-30-2008, 08:25 PM
Hey buddy,

You may not be able have an employee but you sure can work with a "Sub Contractor".....And I'm even in the neighborhood!

Digitalwoodshop
04-30-2008, 08:49 PM
And your a GREAT Woodworker TOO.... I should be so lucky.....

The problem with cutting your own oak into boards is the drying time.... On my list this summer is to build a Solar Kiln using a solar roof fan to circulate the air through the stack while the sun is up..... I need a 30 hour day..... Sleep is over rated.....

See you tomorrow Chris,

AL

Azbear
05-01-2008, 07:29 AM
I know the answers will be varied, but I am trying to build up my shop. The question - What to do you have in your wood shop that complements what you do with the CarveWright. ie: What makes the usage easier, quicker, faster, or more enjoyable? (Yea, I know, I already have a PC.)

A nice music system and a fridge is what gets me through the sanding phase of my projects.

mtylerfl
05-01-2008, 08:21 AM
Good point, Azbear!

...and yes, A Dremel-type tool is a MUST in my opinion - I forgot to list that.

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
05-01-2008, 09:14 AM
My thought is it would be how much you are willing to spend and how much room you have. Three greatest additions as far as large equipment goes that we have made throughout the years in becoming self sufficient, is a timberking bandmill, an 800 board foot kiln, and the newest arrival a woodmaster planer molder which had endless possibilities. Must haves for a beginnner shop would be a dust collector, table saw, jointer, and planer. Carvewright tools, would be a sanding mop, dremel, shop vac, and basic tools such as wrenches, screwdrivers etc. Im probably forgetting a thousand things, but like said asses your situation, needs, budget and goals.

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
05-01-2008, 09:18 AM
Forgot to say, excellent work Al, (Digitalwoodshop) would love to see your setup someday. You said no employee but can i send you my resum'e? Just kidding. Keep up the good work.

deemon328
05-01-2008, 12:30 PM
The ability to buy rough sawn lumber and square it up is the most basic support tooling that I can think of. A jointer and planer would be the minimum requirement, and you can get into entry level (http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0654) machines (http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0654)(~$600) or you can really get joy to use machines or planer/jointer combos (http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0634)(~$2300) with spiral cutterheads. You could use the CW to square and joint the remaining faces if you only have a minimum budget and want to use the CW as much as possible. Speeding up that process would require a table (http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0575) saw (http://www.grizzly.com/products/g1023sl)(~$550-~$1000).

After these basics, buy the tools that you need for the kinds of work that you do.