PDA

View Full Version : Farewell to Arms...

LollyWood
04-29-2008, 02:46 AM
Two of my very good friends are retireing from the Dept. this month. And my "toy" was just the thing to make their gifts something nice. There both made of a piece of Burch my bud had in the back of his shop. Nice and wide the way we like em. hehehehehe Bryans has a walnut stain on it, and Paul's is clear coat. Pauls has parts I salvaged from a wrecked Fire Engine and set in w/ a depth cut. (nice feature) The Engine is a Code 3 Limited Edition. (one less for you collectors..sorry)

Thanks to the Gunny for his tips about reverse staining. (my new way of staining) I can't wait to get some Centerline text and some "V" bits. But this is nice...for now. (come on Christmas) :)

Sorry the Pics are so small. Don't know how to enlarge em. But trust me, their very NICE. ;)

Kenm810
04-29-2008, 06:32 AM
Great job Bernie,

Carvings and Projects for Family, Friends, and Co-Workers
are always the best, and most Gratifying.
Well Done

oldjoe
04-29-2008, 06:45 AM
Those projects look great The recipients are very lucky.
Keep up the great work

TerryT
04-29-2008, 07:28 AM
Those are great. They will be appreciated for the rest of Paul and Brians lives. Well done.

forqnc
04-29-2008, 07:31 AM
Thanks to the Gunny for his tips about reverse staining. (my new way of staining)

Could you explain a little more?

Nice Pieces and I am sure the guys will cherish them.

LollyWood
04-29-2008, 08:51 AM
The Gunny's web page is: http://www.ddsf-ent.com/gunnywoodshop/

He explained to me about carving-staining (flooding)-then sanding. It gives the recessed lettering a darker presentation and makes them pop over the lighter stained project. (nothing new I'm sure, sept to us newbes.) I just looked for the exact thread, but as I'm no puter guy, the site says noway hehehehe. Maybe Jeff B, or the 2 Kens, ot Dac Wheeler can point ya in the right direction. Sorry my computer usually wins most our fights. :(

This staning method has opened up a whole new world of possibilities in design and presentation for me.

BTW, Not JUST the afore mentioned gurus, But thanks to every one who makes this Forum the GREAT experence it is!!!!:) And you know who you are....ALL OF YA!!! :p

brenda123
04-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Now those are nice projects. I am impressed! Gives me some good ideas. Never heard of reverse staining. Going to have to look at that .

CustomWestCoast
04-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Great job on the signs. Thanks for posting them.

Spanglerg@hotmail.com
04-30-2008, 12:40 AM
Great Work! It only get's better...........

Bill
04-30-2008, 06:52 AM
Bernie,
Great idea and very nice work. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif