PDA

View Full Version : Equppment problems

stubrown
04-28-2008, 09:23 PM
I had about 5 hours on my machine when a x-axix part broke and it had to go back for repair. Got it back and first day the QCD chuck broke. Waitiung for a replacement. Not that happy with parts problems, but extremely happy with support

Digitalwoodshop
04-29-2008, 09:33 AM
Broken X Drive is normally a jammed board, left guide up against the board, poor board quality or so much sawdust built up that the rollers can't go over it. Not a Machine problem a Board problem.

As for the QC, you need to keep it clean and lube the bit holders with dry lube. When you load the bit, protecting your fingers get in a habit of grabbing the tip of the bit and wiggling it in 4 directions to check that the ball bearings are seated in the QC. A improperly installed bit did damage on 2 of my QC's when the bit came out while carving. I learned like you will the little things that keep your machine out of the shop.

It is all about reading as much as you can about the problems posted here and learn from them so when you see or have a problem

Good Luck with your machine.

AL

Just got off the phone with my Neighbor "Chisel Me Timbers" and he is having a X drive problem too with his machine just coming back from service. We found troubleshooting over the phone that the sand paper belts have moved left toward the keypad and are jammed. I will meet him on Thursday and fix his machine, I have the parts.

So look at your belts too be sure they are centered. A bad belt or not glued properly causing a taper belt CAN cause the problem.... We will see....

LollyWood
04-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Hey Al,

If it's not to much trouble, and your friend doesn't mind, coud ya snap a few pics of that problem, and your remedie? I know I would love a heads up, If it's no problem?

Digitalwoodshop
04-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Here are some pictures....

Digitalwoodshop
04-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Here are a few more.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
04-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Here are a few more....

AL

I caught an error in my red typing.... The X Drive is run by 115 VAC and has NO Encoder.... The Brass Roller is the Encoder for the X Drive touching the board.... Just caught my error.... "Hanging from the Encoder Wires"... It's just power wires.

The Dust cover for the X gears should be sealed with a little RTV to keep the dust out but not so much that you break the cover trying to get it off next time.

I used some quality wheel bearing grease on the gears and the pivot bearing post. Cleaning the gears is important to keep it running smoothly..... There was some discussion in the past as to weather the grease would weaken the gears due to the solvent but from what I am reading it "Should" be OK.... Being Nylon based gears.

I also have had 2 PM's about recently returned units with loose Sand Paper belt Trays from service..... Might be a temporary trend training a new tech..... If you are having a problem with the X drive check the 4 screws holding the sand paper trays in place, they need to be snug to engage the metal gear properly.

Good Luck....

Everyone should have a extra X Gear and a few belts on hand to cut down on waiting for parts.

AL

Back to work...

LollyWood
04-30-2008, 03:21 AM
Thanks Al, that was Great!! :)

Digitalwoodshop
04-30-2008, 08:30 AM
Good Luck !!!

AL