PDA

View Full Version : Oddity and shopping help

AngusB
04-25-2008, 02:26 AM
Had an odd thing happen tonight. Toward the end of a project, after the carve, I vacumed off the peice, switched to the 1/8" cutting bit for it to do the cut out, and set it going. As the peice moved back into the machine the part that was under the rollers became visible and was very dusty. So I waited for the bit to be in a corner and opened the lid to vacume out some more.
As I reached for the vacume I became aware of a motor still running and looked back in time to realize that the bit motor did stop spinning, but the belt drive was still moving. Reached for the power button, but was too late and the bit snapped off as the belt moved the board with the non-spinning bit down in a groove.
Anyone experience this? Are there two sensors in the lid, one for the bit motor and one for the belt. Seems unlikely.

Second, anyone know where I can get a 1/8in cutting bit that will work right away. Was really looking forward to spending my first free weekend working with my relatively new machine and brand new bit set on some projects I have been working up. Anything ordered tomorrow (Friday) won't get here on Saturday from any place I can find (all use ups or fedex, no sat delivery). No Woodcraft stores near me in NJ, and I can't find the bits available in any Sears store anywhere. Only 1/8" cutting bits I can find at Home Depot and Lowes only have a 3/8" cutting depth.

Was hoping someone might have found something that would work in a Home-Depot or Lowes that I am just missing.

oldjoe
04-25-2008, 07:08 AM
On the bit if you live close to a Sears some of them carry the bits, I bought one when they were on sale there. Other wise you will have to wait rjustice a member of this forum sells them but you would have to wait. And someone may have another solution.
As far as the first problem I would try and get ahold of LHR the machine does totally shut down when the cover is lifted I think I always use the stop button so I can't say for sure.
Good luck

The "DH"
04-25-2008, 07:34 AM
Woodcraft also has the bits, the one here at VA Beach has them in stock all the time now.

Kenm810
04-25-2008, 07:52 AM
AngusB,

Here's something like it I posted about a year ago Carving with no rpms (http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3005&highlight=plowed)
And then about a month later Nuts! (http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3648&highlight=plowed)

Check both lid switchs plus all your machines connections
and look for any loose or shorted wires.

Jeff_Birt
04-25-2008, 08:09 AM
While it should not keep moving when the cover is up, that is a safety function and not meant to be a feed hold. I would suggest pressing the 'STOP' button and let the machine come to a stop and then opening the lid. This allows the machine to more gracefully stop what it is doing and retract from the work piece. When you just open the lid, the cut motor will come to an abrupt stop while the work piece might still be moving.

AngusB
04-25-2008, 03:51 PM
Hey, Thanks guys.

I can't find any Sears anywhere that says they have them in stock. I know the two closest to me don't carry any accesories for the unit, I checked when looking for the full bit kit.

Closest Woodcraft store is 2 hours away. Still considering that though, wanted to go to one of them for a while now anyway. But between the gas, the most of a day used up, and my inevitable inability to leave there without some new very expensive tool, it may not be the best use of time. :)

May just have to wait a few more days to get started. *sigh*

I thought that when pressing the stop button it would cancel the carve not just pause it. I thought that even happened to me once. Back to the manual for me.

Thanks again for the thoughts.

Jeff_Birt
04-25-2008, 04:15 PM
When you press 'Stop' it pauses the job. It then gives you the opportunity to continue by pressing 'Start' or abort by pressing 'Stop'.

Digitalwoodshop
04-25-2008, 07:37 PM
The root cause is the left lid switch is stuck engaged a VERY UNSAFE THING....

Turn the machine on and hit Options or Zero.

Arrow down to sensor data and walk through the switches. Open and close the cover and look at the display. Could be a stuck lid switch OR You SMOKED the Electronics with the Vacuum and the 10 Thousand Volts of Static Electricity.....

Lets hope it is just a stuck switch.

Call LHR on Saturday Morning at 1-800-573-1226 option 4. They have Tech's working just for reasons like this.

Good Luck,

AL