PDA

View Full Version : just wondering..

bgwalls
04-23-2008, 12:06 PM
How many of us have more meachnical problems than good projects?:confused:

mtylerfl
04-23-2008, 12:13 PM
How many of us have more meachnical problems than good projects?:confused:

I would say that far fewer people have problems than those that do - what's more, based at least on the phone calls we get, the vast, vast majority of "problems" are definitely user-caused.

eromran
04-23-2008, 12:17 PM
How many of us have more meachnical problems than good projects?:confused:So far the good is far out weighing the bad and that is not taking in the WOW factor you get from the good. Also on some of the bad projects there is a lot of good to be learned. And the last point is the farther you go along the more good there tends to be at least for me. There is a learning curve as with most things. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. What seems to be the problems you are having?

DStimpson
04-23-2008, 01:33 PM
It seems to me that CW/CC machine owners will HAVE to realize that the device is a piece of high-tech equipment that requires specific and precise maintenance frequently to operate efficiently and trouble-free. This is common to ALL shop equipment of this nature. Preventative maintenance is a way of life in commercial machine shops, it just comes with the territory. Anyone who doesn't know or believe this is destined to have problems with the equipment.

But even with the best maintenance plan, equipment periodically wears out, or parts of them wear out. Another unavoidable truth. And again,anyone who doesn't know or believe this is destined to be disappointed.

So bite the bullet; keep the machine oiled and clean, keep the shop tidy, check that everything is adjusted and spec tight, and expect and be prepared for the occasional break-down.

Considering the technically advanced, incredibly capable device we common woodworkers now have access to, a little bit of time maintaining it should be a small price to pay.

bgwalls
04-23-2008, 02:09 PM
okay guys. No need to get defensive. I have not had my machine 6 months and I've already needed a new y motor, z motor,comtroller,power supply,and spindle motor. I keep it oiled and clean. Maybe I just got a lemon?

mtylerfl
04-23-2008, 03:04 PM
okay guys. No need to get defensive. I have not had my machine 6 months and I've already needed a new y motor, z motor,comtroller,power supply,and spindle motor. I keep it oiled and clean. Maybe I just got a lemon?

Hello,

I didn't know that you were having problems yourself - I thought you may have just been posting a general question.

Very sorry to hear about the issues you have had. Is the machine working alright for you now? Hope so - we all want you to enjoy your machine and start having some fun!:D

dgrattan@gmail.com
04-23-2008, 03:11 PM
I live in Pinellas Park and would like to see someone using Carvewright. I am interested in buying one - just would like to see and hear one (neighbors ya know) see if I can get away with operating one in 55+ community.

I will travel to St Pete, Tampa, Clearwater etc.

Thanks

deemon328
04-23-2008, 05:51 PM
I've had issues, but I've made fabulously successful projects too. It's worth the headaches.

bgwalls
04-23-2008, 06:29 PM
I am not trying to be down these ,I have two now, just trying to figure out how or what to do to keep them running.
As far as loud I can tell you they are rather loud, I wouldn't want to use one
in a neiborhood of any age. Very loud.

Spanglerg@hotmail.com
04-23-2008, 07:48 PM
:D It's a well known fact of life that all equipment must be maintained to insure reliable service, and more importantly protect your investment. I personally have a pre-operational inspection and post project cleaning. I know this sounds anal, but I have a great deal of success, with little down time and minium of that dreaded frustration.
It seems to me that CW/CC machine owners will HAVE to realize that the device is a piece of high-tech equipment that requires specific and precise maintenance frequently to operate efficiently and trouble-free. This is common to ALL shop equipment of this nature. Preventative maintenance is a way of life in commercial machine shops, it just comes with the territory. Anyone who doesn't know or believe this is destined to have problems with the equipment.

But even with the best maintenance plan, equipment periodically wears out, or parts of them wear out. Another unavoidable truth. And again,anyone who doesn't know or believe this is destined to be disappointed.

So bite the bullet; keep the machine oiled and clean, keep the shop tidy, check that everything is adjusted and spec tight, and expect and be prepared for the occasional break-down.

Considering the technically advanced, incredibly capable device we common woodworkers now have access to, a little bit of time maintaining it should be a small price to pay.

biker4648
04-23-2008, 09:37 PM
First carve 3.5 hrs into 5 hr carve, system shuts down. Carving bit out of chuck, hole through board, rear drive belt torn and carving bit broken. 4 hrs total on system. 30 min. on phone support and off to Texas for major updates and repair. 3 weeks later receive system dented but able to run. Infeed table bent upward enough to drag on board causing infeed belt to not pull board in straight. LHR put 9 hrs on system. Remove infeed table and straighten. Load first project again and start carve. 30 min into carve system shuts down. Z-motor stall. Call to LHR support, new Z-motor sent. Install new Z-motor, power up and punch 07 into keyboard to check system. No Z-axis movement displayed. So now what? Send it back to Texas for more repairs? At this rate I'll blow through my 200 hr warrenty without getting my first carve done. So, how exactly is this "user error" or "lack of cleaning" or "lack of proper lube"?! Anyone?

bgwalls
04-23-2008, 09:45 PM
First carve 3.5 hrs into 5 hr carve, system shuts down. Carving bit out of chuck, hole through board, rear drive belt torn and carving bit broken. 4 hrs total on system. 30 min. on phone support and off to Texas for major updates and repair. 3 weeks later receive system dented but able to run. Infeed table bent upward enough to drag on board causing infeed belt to not pull board in straight. LHR put 9 hrs on system. Remove infeed table and straighten. Load first project again and start carve. 30 min into carve system shuts down. Z-motor stall. Call to LHR support, new Z-motor sent. Install new Z-motor, power up and punch 07 into keyboard to check system. No Z-axis movement displayed. So now what? Send it back to Texas for more repairs? At this rate I'll blow through my 200 hr warrenty without getting my first carve done. So, how exactly is this "user error" or "lack of cleaning" or "lack of proper lube"?! Anyone?
I feel you're pain. If given the chance I'd return mine.

eromran
04-24-2008, 07:55 AM
First carve 3.5 hrs into 5 hr carve, system shuts down. Carving bit out of chuck, hole through board, rear drive belt torn and carving bit broken. 4 hrs total on system. 30 min. on phone support and off to Texas for major updates and repair. 3 weeks later receive system dented but able to run. Infeed table bent upward enough to drag on board causing infeed belt to not pull board in straight. LHR put 9 hrs on system. Remove infeed table and straighten. Load first project again and start carve. 30 min into carve system shuts down. Z-motor stall. Call to LHR support, new Z-motor sent. Install new Z-motor, power up and punch 07 into keyboard to check system. No Z-axis movement displayed. So now what? Send it back to Texas for more repairs? At this rate I'll blow through my 200 hr warrenty without getting my first carve done. So, how exactly is this "user error" or "lack of cleaning" or "lack of proper lube"?! Anyone?Sorry it seems you are having so many problems but as far as your last question (So now what?) Was that a rhetorical question or were you really looking for an answer? If you are wanting to still get the machine going Between this forum and LHR you will get it worked out. Everyone can see now all the steps you have gone through so the next step is probably to make sure you did not hook something up backwards or not get a connection tight. Once you do that. Post the results or call LHR and they can walk you through the diagnosis

forqnc
04-24-2008, 09:40 AM
As far as good projects compared to machine problems? I cannot give exact numbers, but am I happy with my machine? Yes
As far as problem machines hmmm

Over 12,000 machines sold
There are 3,448 members on the forum
but only 707 members are active
so being generous lets say 60% of the Active members (if they are not classified as active then they probably never posted, so we do not know if they have problems)
707 * 60%=423
so now, 12,000 - 423 = 11577 machines out there with either no problems or happy owners.

Disclaimer : these numbers are purely based on what I aquired from the forum and Carvewrights home page. The 60% was a biased guess