PDA

View Full Version : Spoon and Fork

forqnc
04-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Didn't want to hijack the other threads.

I finally got warm weather and time to carve the Celtic Fork and Spoon patterns I bought from http://www.go3d.us and wanted to share the pictures.
Now I am only a hobbyist at this, and although I have 111 hours on the cut motor, a lot of you guys really are pushing the machine beyond my limits with what you are doing with the machine. Most of my carvings have been signs, so I was sceptical on carving the patterns. I set up the machine and once I saw it go to carve I walked away, thinking if it breaks it breaks oh well.
I tried to continue with something else to occupy my mind, but half way through the carve I heard the machine making noises I had never heard before. Fearing the worst I grabbed a fresh beer and cigarette and walked over........
.....needless to say I was awe struke at what I was seeing, and had to stay until the first side was done. The noises where just because of some of the depths the carving bit was going down. After the first side was done, I took out the piece, quick vacuum and set the machine away again. Being comfortable with the machine running and now knowing the cause of the different noise I was hearing, I continued with my other project.
Wow this is getting long, anyhow to save server space, I got both the Fork and Spoon carved. I didn't get chance to clean them up yet, but these are now going to my Mother-in-law, since my wife wants her set (these where supposed to be it) to be bigger.
I carved this to a length of 12" (original is 9.3") on a 1x4x2 Popular

Sorry this got long, But I am really very impressed with the patterns and the price from http://www.go3d.us

castingman
04-23-2008, 12:08 PM
WOW!! Those are great, mine got thin walled by the heart, those are perfict !

Michael

SilentBob
04-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Congratulations on the results. I also bought the Spoon and Fork but a little different design. The spoon was perfect but the fork not so much. I also made my first ones on 1 x 4 Poplar, but I put both on the same piece so mine was about 21" Designer board, 28" actual board.

The Spoon had tabs in it but when I took the piece out of the machine and was tapping the sawdust out the Spoon came loose, sweet, very little sanding.

The Fork didn't cut all the way through so it was quite a challenge to remove from the parent stock. I finally had to take a drywall saw to get it extricated.

Also, The Spoon thickness is .270” at the tip and the Fork is .440”. Because all the settings are the same I don’t understand the difference.

And last I see yours put the holes thru but mine didn’t. I suspect I have the size too small to get the good detail. Mine finished at 10” long and I see yours are 12”, would you think 2” would make that much difference?

Nice work,
Bob

www.go3d.us
04-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Thanks all.

These patterns need some adjustment to the depth to get good result you desired.

When setting up your project set the size of your board slightly smaller than the pattern to get a visual feedback on how thick the patterns is right inside designer. When done set the board size back to normal.

HT

andes
04-23-2008, 03:15 PM
Ok, I have a question, I like using wooden spoons for cooking; so my question is, what do you treat the spoon with so that is can be used for cooking.

Andes

ncamp
04-23-2008, 04:47 PM
Ok, I have a question, I like using wooden spoons for cooking; so my question is is, what do you treat the spoon with so that is can be used for cooking.

Andes,

I use butcher block oil for the bowls I turn (well, the ones for eating out of). Any food safe finish should be fine. You may want to stay away from some nut oils (like walnut) if anyone has alergic reaction to it.

andes
04-23-2008, 05:07 PM
Thanks NCAMP

forqnc
04-24-2008, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the replies guys

And last I see yours put the holes thru but mine didn’t. I suspect I have the size too small to get the good detail. Mine finished at 10” long and I see yours are 12”, would you think 2” would make that much difference?

Nice work,
Bob

Not sure if it's the size Bob, if you are referring to the pictures you posted, it could be with yours being a different pattern, that the holes aren't mean't to be there for that pattern.
They looked good any way

I just checked www.go3d.us (http://www.go3d.us) website and your carvings came out the same as the picture posted Bob.

Jeff
04-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Ok, I have a question, I like using wooden spoons for cooking; so my question is, what do you treat the spoon with so that is can be used for cooking.

Andes

Like Nathan said, butcher block oil. However, here's a little tip. Go to your local drug store and get laxative. Yes, laxative. Get the 100% mineral oil. It's the same exact thing at one quarter the price.

Avoid all nut or vegetable based oils except walnut oil. The others can turn rancid. And, like Nathan said, there is a possibility of a reaction, however rare from the oil. Also, avoid any film finish.

Slather on the oil, let it soak in, then wipe down. The rule of thumb is once a day for a week, once a week for a month and once a month forever. Just reapply when the wood gets dry. And, avoid the dishwasher. Just wipe it down with a damp towel. Add a little bit of bleach if needed.

Jeff

andes
04-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Now thats interesting information ;-) Thanks Jeff.

Andes

www.go3d.us
04-24-2008, 01:50 PM
Thanks forqnc for posting the pictures.
Bob, the celtic knot spoon are not supposed to have those 2 hole. If I make the hole there the bit will cut deep into it and ruin the knot.
Thanks all.
HT

SilentBob
04-24-2008, 01:53 PM
forqnc,
You're right on the holes in the spoon not being through but the pattern for the fork shows them through. The thing is they are so small I don't think you can get there at the size I made them with a 1/16" bit. No worries there, I just drill them out and finish them with needle files.

HT really gave the answer to the question that concerned me. I didn't think to check the pattern depth and just "assumed" they would be the same. I've gone back and adjusted the depth for the fork and I'll run another test. If this comes out as expected then I have a piece of Bocote I'll make a finished set from.

forqnc
04-27-2008, 09:31 AM
Shameless Bump to add pictures of the latest Spoon and Fork. I did these out of Brazilian Cherry and they are 17" long. The only glitch was the spoon has the back and front patterns about 1/16" out, so just a little more sanding, but they turned out great. Hope the wife is happy and she doesn't want them bigger. The little plaque I threw together for her Mom for mother's day, my father-in-law is a wood worker so I will let him stain and finish.