PDA

View Full Version : Calibrate Offset

hetzerguitars
04-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Wow, I just ran a calibrate offset. Actually, I've run it like 3 times, it keeps failing saying check sensor. But is ramming a bit that has a 1" cutting length right into a board and cutting full on 1" a good idea? It seems like it's beating the hell out of this machine. I would *never* do that with a router. I'd do multiple passes. I am using a 1" board. And this thing is pushing that but 100% into the side and cutting it across.

This just seems like hardly the way to calibrate an offset. It seems like it is doing more hard then good.

- Jim

fwharris
04-22-2008, 08:30 PM
Wow, I just ran a calibrate offset. Actually, I've run it like 3 times, it keeps failing saying check sensor. But is ramming a bit that has a 1" cutting length right into a board and cutting full on 1" a good idea? It seems like it's beating the hell out of this machine. I would *never* do that with a router. I'd do multiple passes. I am using a 1" board. And this thing is pushing that but 100% into the side and cutting it across.

This just seems like hardly the way to calibrate an offset. It seems like it is doing more hard then good.

- Jim

Jim,

The calibrate offset does and should do multiple passes.
You should also use the 3/8" straight bit.

What are the dimensions of the board? Are you get other prompts beside check sensor? Do you have the guide rail up against your board? Does the bit touch the bit plate?

Sorry for all the questions, but they do help to know what some of the conditions are.

geddins
04-23-2008, 09:06 AM
Perfect thread! Can someone point me to directions as to how to calibrate my machine? I think something is a bit off, and it's never been calibrated.

Thanks!

Greg

Jeff_Birt
04-23-2008, 09:13 AM
Yes. Look in your users manual. You can download the latest version here: http://carvewright.com/downloads/CarveWright_manual_04-01-08.pdf

Look at the top of page 46.

And Jim, In looking up the calibration instructions just now I noticed this: "A board at least 2" wide by 10" long between 1/2" and 3/4" thick." So your 1" thick board is a bit too much.

geddins
04-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Thanks Jeff....I'm at work and without my manual...but now I'll download it as well!

jerrbitt
04-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Looked at the seciton referred to to do the calibration and it says to use a 3/8" straight bit. So I need to buy this bit to do the calibration? Sorry, Jointing Bit

Jeff_Birt
04-24-2008, 09:28 AM
Yep. You need the 3/8 straight (jointing) bit.

ChrisAlb
04-24-2008, 10:32 AM

- Jim

Jim,
According to the manual you should use a board between 1/2" and 3/4" thick for calibrating. Maybe it's the 1" thick board that's throwing things off??

Just a guess here.