PDA

View Full Version : A head scratcher

OKCCarver
04-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Well....I've been carving away for about two months or so and haven't had many issues at all, but now I'm up on one that I haven't ran across in the forum. I'll try to explain the best that I can, so here we go...

I went to load a project the other day and when the machine went to measure the board it was moving VERY slow. Meaning that sandpaper belts were CREEPING along. It eventually got up to "normal" speed but took it a second. Then when begining to start the actual carve, the cut motor did the exact same thing. It tooks it's own sweet time to get up and going but it eventually got there before the bit actually touched the wood. Also, during the carve I had it do the edge routing (I was lazy) and the bit actually burned the wood. The bit shows signs of overheating as well. This was on the second of two carvings. The first approx 45 min, the second about an hour. With about 45 minutes rest in between the two, and both finished normally with any other problems. The projects were made of oak. Also, (don't know if this matters) but I'm getting the "please close cover" error. It's somewhat intermitent, but appears the switchs are on thier last leg. I've been getting the check cut motor since about the second week of carving and I'm thinking it's about to give out. Anyway, anyone have any ideas before I call LHR about the cover switches?

Thanks again all!

Dave

Cmdr.Rav
04-21-2008, 06:08 PM
Dave, how cold was your shop when you started? Everything moving slow sounds like being too cold. Remember for the CC to run correctly it must be the optimal conditions. The correct temp., the machine must be clean, your mouth in the right position, the wind blowing 5-10 miles an hour to the south etc. !

As forth to the close cover check the screws holding it to see if they are loose. Plus see if any dust or dirt may be making the switch not operate correctly. With the CCM are you running the most current software and is the motor the older model?

I have both the problems you have, with my close cover I need to shut the cover several times sometimes with a little force! I guess I will be ordering a new switch, as you may need to do!

Rav

Amonaug
04-21-2008, 06:28 PM
For the close cover error. Follow the wires for the switches to where they plug into the board and make sure it isn't loose. I just had that problem with intermittent errors.

Cmdr.Rav
04-21-2008, 06:32 PM
opps I forgot that one!!!! May the wind be at your back!

Rav

Jeff_Birt
04-21-2008, 07:18 PM
I went to load a project the other day and when the machine went to measure the board it was moving VERY slow. Meaning that sandpaper belts were CREEPING along. It eventually got up to "normal" speed but took it a second.

First things I would look for: Was the sliding guide plate up too tight against the wood causing a bind?

Second: What version of Designer are you using? I would upgrade to 1.126 and make sure you update the firmware on teh card to the same version.

Cmdr.Rav
04-21-2008, 07:34 PM
I still think his shop was too cold, this has happen to me. If you read it eventually got up to normal speed. As it moved it got warmer until it reached the temp. it need to work " normal" Haven't figured what is normal, lol.

Dave just as I asked above the software not being the lastest could be causing a CCM. Plus if you have the older model motor the magnet may have slipped. Just hit enter it will continue to work. Like I said if you are not holding your mouth just right something may go wrong! Oh wait that is for fishing!!!

I think I am going to set my CC in my shop as a tool altar, since I pray everytime I use it!!!

Rav

OKCCarver
04-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I am using the latest software/firmware. The temp shouldn't have been a problem. It was warm 75+ in Oklahoma City this weekend!!! I'm not really sure what the temp was on Friday night/Sat morning, but I didn't start carving until around 2pm (gotta keep the neighbors happy) so I would think it would have had time to warm by then. I just really didn't take note of it since it was so warm out. Being Oklahoma, the wind blowing thing we have covered, but I think it was coming from the west on Saturday! :lol:

Anyway, I'll chase the wires on the cover switch back to the board to see if that could be the problem. I already pulled the switches and tried to clean them up as best I could. Like you Rav, I have to stand there and do the open/close/open/close/oooooppppeeennnnn/CLOSE routine and it eventually works.

As far as the motor... The guide plate may have been a little tight up against the board. Honestly, I'm not really sure as I've cut so many projects up till now I don't even really think about it anymore. I just do it!! So it is possible that I goofed that one. For the CCM error, I posted about that one before and from the replies I recieved, plus reading other posts, I've come to the conclusion that the magnet has slipped. I'm just not brave enough to take it apart and check things out. Like I said, it HAS been working without an issue after you hit enter so I didn't worry to much about it.

Cmdr.Rav
04-22-2008, 10:44 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I am using the latest software/firmware. The temp shouldn't have been a problem. It was warm 75+ in Oklahoma City this weekend!!! I'm not really sure what the temp was on Friday night/Sat morning, but I didn't start carving until around 2pm (gotta keep the neighbors happy) so I would think it would have had time to warm by then. I just really didn't take note of it since it was so warm out. Being Oklahoma, the wind blowing thing we have covered, but I think it was coming from the west on Saturday! :lol:

Anyway, I'll chase the wires on the cover switch back to the board to see if that could be the problem. I already pulled the switches and tried to clean them up as best I could. Like you Rav, I have to stand there and do the open/close/open/close/oooooppppeeennnnn/CLOSE routine and it eventually works.

As far as the motor... The guide plate may have been a little tight up against the board. Honestly, I'm not really sure as I've cut so many projects up till now I don't even really think about it anymore. I just do it!! So it is possible that I goofed that one. For the CCM error, I posted about that one before and from the replies I recieved, plus reading other posts, I've come to the conclusion that the magnet has slipped. I'm just not brave enough to take it apart and check things out. Like I said, it HAS been working without an issue after you hit enter so I didn't worry to much about it.

Well 75 degrees seems to be a good temp! Must have been the wind blowing from the West! Maybe your board was not square and the fence was too tight. Still sounded like many times starting the ol' shrine and not being the temp to it's liking!

I guess you will need to replace your cover switch? I have replaced mine a few times...... getting very frustrating!

Rav

fwharris
04-23-2008, 12:31 AM
For the CCM error, I posted about that one before and from the replies I recieved, plus reading other posts, I've come to the conclusion that the magnet has slipped. I'm just not brave enough to take it apart and check things out. Like I said, it HAS been working without an issue after you hit enter so I didn't worry to much about it.

Dave,

Checking the motor is an easy job to do.

Unplug the CW machine!

Remove cover http://www.carvewright.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1509&d=1169858427
Hardest part of this is getting your fingures in to unplug the wire.

After removing the cover it is easy access to the motor. Unplug the RPM sensor, loosen screw on flex shaft cover at cut motor.
3 screws hold the motor to the frame and I believe 4 for the case on the motor. 2 wires on the back to unplug.

You might not have to take the motor apart because:
Man after typing all of that I just remmebered that you can probably see the end of the magnet retainer on the end of the shaft with a good light. If you have read all of the posts in "cut motor 101" you should have a good idea of what you are looking for.

Looks like you are a new carver based on your joing date, so you should be under warannty. You can call it in to LHR and they will send you a new one after paying the $40 refundable core charge, send you a new one after you send the bad one in or order just the new plastic magnet retainer $5 + $12 shipping.

I just went through this a couple of weeks ago and I ended up getting the new motor + core charge + new magnet. Kept the old one for back up.
Cost for just buying a new motor is around $75

Hope this helps you out and don't be :
I'm just not brave enough to take it apart and check things out.

Good luck

ChrisAlb
04-23-2008, 06:54 AM
Slow moving belts and cut motor? Could it be power related?

I have my CW on a completely separate circuit of it's own but I once turned on a shop vac plugged into that outlet while it was carving and was simply amazed how much the motor slowed down. If you have it plugged into a circuit that has something else that goes on and off from time to time, that may have an effect.

Just a thought.

Digitalwoodshop
04-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Chris is thinking the same thing I am thinking.... POWER.... Could be low power from your power panel. Too many things plugged into the same outlet....

OR..... Router Slow speed start up.... Cut Motor Brushes getting short..... How many hours on the Cut Motor.... Over 150 hours you should have new brushes on hand.

Search for posts by me with cut motor for pictures.

As for the slow board movement, that motor is a 115 VAC motor I believe for the power of moving the board so low power at the outlet could be the problem.

Also blowing sawdust around can get some under the sand paper belt at the rollers and cause movement problems along with the right guide touching the board.

Cranking the head down TOO Tight can cause it too..... Checking head pressure with a scale.

Good Luck,

AL

ChrisAlb
04-23-2008, 09:50 AM
The blowing dust is a good thought. Being that I work in my basement, I never use compressed air to clean. Shop Vac and a clean paint brush is all I use.

OKCCarver
04-23-2008, 07:46 PM
Thanks for all the replies gentlemen!! I really appreciate it. I thought I would write a quick reply to tell you what I've found....

The short answer is.....I'm sending it back to good ole TX and LHR is going to have a look.

The long answer is...

I spoke with LHR yesterday about some Z axis stalls I've been getting as of late, the cut motor, and the cover switch. The tech placed an order to have a new Z pack sent out. GREAT! No problem. I was going to do a core charge for the cut motor as well as trace the wires on the cover switch just in case something came loose. Well, I wanted to try and get a short project done today (less than 30 minutes) and the CW ran for about 5 minutes and suddenly the motor pitched changed. I really can't describe the sound, but it was definately something I hadn't heard before. Of course I immediately walked over to check things out and I noticed there was terrible virbration through the machine. So much in fact that the cover wouldn't stay closed and it kept tripping the cover switch. I opened/closed the cover a few times, got the switch to work, started it back up and I noticed the bit wasn't stable. It was spining in small circles. Stopped the machine, reached in and gave it a wiggle and I could move the chuck. Not the bit...it was secure, but I could wiggle the entire QC. I removed the bit to make sure that is was tight. Yep all good there.. Well, I gave LHR a call again, and after I explain to the tech again all the problems I was having, they decided it was best to send it back for repair. That's everything in a nutshell.....

All in all, I'm very impressed with the way LHR has handled this. Customer support has been extremely helpful. I know it can be difficult to explain to a customer how to repair something over the phone!!

Anyway, so now I wait... I'm glad that I have a few projects laying around that need finishing so I have something to fill my time once it's gone. Plus, since I've yet to get the hang of importing photos, this will give me a chance to work on that with all the "distractions"!!! :roll:

Thanks again guys!
Dave

FiddlemakerMills
08-15-2008, 11:27 PM
I have a Jet 2100 cfm collector that does a great job getting the fine dust out of the cutting area of the CW. I have noticed that the cut motor heats up due to dust passing through the motor.

I Built a down draft table, and redirected the cut motor exhaust to the table. This also reduced the noise level, I can now hear the wife when she is talking (with the CW running). Since my unit is out of warrenty I have been thinking about Routing cooling air duct work fom the outside of the unit to the cut motor.

What are your thoughts?

liquidguitars
08-16-2008, 12:22 PM
went to load a project the other day and when the machine went to measure the board it was moving VERY slow

reset the CW turn it off for 30 sec. check the fence , wood must move in and out of table. check down table pressure to 60 LBS..

I've been getting the check cut motor since about the second week of carving and I'm thinking it's about to give out.

Keypad "07" page down to the cut motor sensor. with the bit removed hand spin the QC.. do you see the sensor reading 1,2,3.. if not clean or get a new cut motor assembly.

LG

fwharris
08-16-2008, 12:36 PM
For your check cut motor problem look at this post;
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6765&highlight=cut+motor