PDA

View Full Version : carvewright club

bensmink
04-21-2008, 01:16 PM
I am very interested in forming a "club" of Carvewright, Compucarve owners in the Birmingham, Alabama area. I think it would be beneficial to be able to bounce ideas off each other face to face. Also, patterns could be shared and enjoyed first hand. The club could meet on a regular basis. Anyway, if any takers, please reply or e-mail me at bensmink@bellsouth.net.

ChrisAlb
04-21-2008, 02:13 PM
I am very interested in forming a "club" of Carvewright, Compucarve owners in the Birmingham, Alabama area. I think it would be beneficial to be able to bounce ideas off each other face to face. Also, patterns could be shared and enjoyed first hand. The club could meet on a regular basis. Anyway, if any takers, please reply or e-mail me at bensmink@bellsouth.net.

I think it's a great idea. Even though I live in PA. I was actually thinking about a national network of carvers. It would help defray the cost of shipping products around the country. Like the Yankee facade I did for Michael in NC. If I had someone in NC to carve it, it wouldn't have cost $189 bucks to ship it to him.

If you had a customer here in PA, you could work up the design and file with your customer, send the file to me and I could carve it for them. Just an idea that's been kicking around in the back of my head for months.

Digitalwoodshop
04-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Great Idea !!!

AL

jackssib1
04-21-2008, 04:10 PM
we all all over the U.S. anyway.
And When I get good, I'll help..
Thanks
Jack
http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=dl2vhf9.573xqut&Uy=-olvxyp&Ux=0&UV=20357927690_16341776313

hotpop
04-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Sounds good to me.

MAX COX
04-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Sounds Like A Great Idea.

LittleRedWoodshop
04-21-2008, 07:03 PM
Are we going to divide up into Regions and Chapters...

If so... We would like to Charter this Chapter "CNC Art Guild" of the "Illinois Division" of the "Midwest Region"

The map attatched below seems to be a good outline, if someone would like to edit it that's great.

It all sounds great to me...

Digitalwoodshop
04-21-2008, 08:51 PM
Don't forget our Carving Friends North of the Boarder..... Willing to Jump Through Hoops for a Carving Experiance....

And the Overseas Chapter of really Brave Owners..... Out on a limb with very little support....

AL

LittleRedWoodshop
04-21-2008, 08:57 PM
Glad I'm not in either of those chapters.. we have enough of that here sometimes.

fwharris
04-21-2008, 09:12 PM

If so... We would like to Charter this Chapter "CNC Art Guild" of the "Illinois Division" of the "Midwest Region"

The map attatched below seems to be a good outline, if someone would like to edit it that's great.

It all sounds great to me...

Jason,
All of this sounds great to me also. Not too sure about Colorado being in the same zone as Nebraska or did you not know that Co. Gold does not go well with Neb. Red!!
Just kidding!! I am sure if this really does get going there would be some across the zone sharing just because of the closer location for where the work is needed.

It also might be easier is all of the user would post their state in the user info.. Just a thought..

Spanglerg@hotmail.com
04-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Count Me In:!:

dcurrysr
04-21-2008, 09:48 PM
Sounds like a great idea, count me in.
Dave

LittleRedWoodshop
04-21-2008, 09:50 PM
it's official... I just bought the domain name. "CNC Art Guild" it is CncArtGuild.com

We are the first Chapter in the Illinois Division of the Midwest Region... wow that was easy. Now someone has to write the By-Laws.

Anyone in the area that wants to join just contact us at the Website Below.

LittleRedWoodshop
04-21-2008, 09:53 PM
While we're on the subject someone has to start planning the first Conference.... should be held in St. Louis it's a nice central location.

Any volunteers............

ncamp
04-21-2008, 10:35 PM
Sounds like a good idea

Steven Alford
04-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Sitting here laughing my a$$ off. Just read this post in less than 3 minutes, a total of 14 entries. Congratulations guys, you have done in one day what most politicians take years to do. How about you guys running for Congress!! LOL

Actually I think this sounds like a very good idea.

Steve

fwharris
04-21-2008, 10:58 PM
Steve,

That makes 2 for Colorado.

Did you ever make contact with the other carver in the Springs?

ChrisAlb
04-22-2008, 04:46 AM
Sounds like this could generate some real interest. I'll let others work on the regional "club" idea which I think is simply a great idea!!

Although I'm pretty short on time right, I'd like to investigate the "National Network of Carvers" idea I've had in between things as I can. I think it could be simple overall. Maybe a free registration process for those interested in joining it.

And then some basic guidelines for registering like,

You'd have to list your experience..

Provide some photos of you carvings to show quality results (we always want the end customers to get the best quality possible)....

Carvers would have to have a Paypal account at minimum for payment (fast, easy and free to join) They do charge a fee per transaction but then, what merchant account doesn't?

Things like that.....maybe?

I think it would be a great way for all of us to be able to reach out further to customers and reduce the end cost to them. And maybe we could make it so we're sharing the files among ourselves as well...?.....hmmmm....could have potential.

Chris

Woodrat
04-22-2008, 05:09 AM
sounds like a great idea. anyone in the northwestern part of Va. {front royal, woodstock or winchester} I would be interested in talking with. Tks everyone:D

The "DH"
04-22-2008, 05:41 AM
Sounds good!!! Just purchased my 3rd machine and ready to carve!!!

jackssib1
04-22-2008, 06:05 AM
Good morning all. Hope you all have a great day.
Jack

eromran
04-22-2008, 07:09 AM

It all sounds great to me...It sounds great to me also but why divide so many states up? (half of one state in one region half in another) Would it not be easier complete states? If two people live in the same state they would probably like to belong to same Chapter. As you said you want to charter the Illinois Chapter but some of Illinois won't be included therefore their in Illinois but not Illinois chapter? I do like the map and would be a great starting place for dividing it up. THANKS

bensmink
04-22-2008, 07:17 AM
I did not realize that my idea would spark as much interest as it did. But, to be honest, the original intent was to get a local group going. Members could socialize, share ideas, learn from, and help others. I was hoping to get responses from the Birmingham, Alabama area.

Bob

P.S. Of course, each area could have a local group and there could be a yearly convention in different cities, I suppose.

David Myers
04-22-2008, 07:19 AM
Count me in. I'd like to meet people around Florida to share ideas and tap into others experiences.

David

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
04-22-2008, 07:23 AM
Great Idea count me in too. However i can help or participate just let me know, i think its an excellent idea and an excellent way for us carvers to network.

ChrisAlb
04-22-2008, 08:01 AM
I did not realize that my idea would spark as much interest as it did. But, to be honest, the original intent was to get a local group going. Members could socialize, share ideas, learn from, and help others. I was hoping to get responses from the Birmingham, Alabama area.

Bob

P.S. Of course, each area could have a local group and there could be a yearly convention in different cities, I suppose.

Yes Bob, we understand your original intent and it's great idea to go ahead with as you planned it. We're just covering "two" ideas in this thread now. lol

To be honest, I don't know how well my idea of a "network of carvers" would work but seeing how I've had the thought for months now, when I saw your idea I just thought I'd mention it.

LittleRedWoodshop
04-22-2008, 09:15 AM
we need a website that people can go to get information and leave information and to find each other.

Anyone agree, I am williing to work on that but don't want to cause problems or step on any toes.

If you haven't seen my site , built it myself. The "Carvers" site would just be a place for chapters to submit their charters and for potential members to find a chapter in their area.

Need URL (DOMAIN) ideas..............

And yes the "Network of Carvers" souds like a great idea.

bensmink
04-22-2008, 09:48 AM
A website would be nice. Perhaps you could get Carvewright to put info about it in their newsletter.

Bob

ChrisAlb
04-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Well I think we'll need to work up a basic structure before worrying too much about a site but for my idea of the Network, I was thinking of either,

Custom Carvers Network or CCN.com

or the original...

National Network Of Carvers or NNOC.com

Haven't given it too much thought yet. Just some ideas.....

Right now I'm on my way to show this sign to my local Harley chapter. I'm going to donate all the proceeds from sales to this year's "Ride For Hope" beneficiary. He's a 4th stage lung cancer victim and just one of many charity event recipients this year.

Last year's event raised $38,896 for a wonderful little 13 year old boy with 3 brain tumors. He had surgery to remove them and is doing well but struggles to re-learn walking among other challenges. His dad is a local volunteer fireman and I have a video of his speech at the end of the event. Truly heart warming & tear jerking.

jackssib1
04-22-2008, 06:23 PM
just let me know what and when,,lol
Jack

13 year old boy with 3 brain tumors

God Bless

larry711
04-22-2008, 06:29 PM
i live in oregon up in the hills. i would love to see it happen. i will be of any help i can

castingman
04-22-2008, 07:32 PM
I'm in to!! Michael

Dan-Woodman
04-22-2008, 09:19 PM
We need a distinction between the carving guilds that already exist, ( that do carving by hand) and what we do with computers and cnc machines.
Maybe Network of CNC Carvers.
Count Missouri in.
later Daniel

LittleRedWoodshop
04-22-2008, 09:56 PM
That is why I choose CncArtGuild.com or CNC Art Guild, for those of us in the midwest.

I spoke to Joe Lovchick at LHR, he's the marketing director. They are all for the Club idea (they had actually been watching the thread). They would like to see us just a bit more organized, then they will promo it on their homepage.

SO..

Number one is that they would like to see a set of by-laws, the region division and a site up and running.

I am going to run with this, would like any input and help that I can get.

badger
04-22-2008, 11:28 PM
best idea is to start with one person to send personnal emails too and then handle it by group email. My other suggestion is you might want to consider a type of group chat server and or what I have used in the past for gaming and Im sure others have is either ventrilo or teamspeak.

Matter of fact Im surprised no one has set one up yet. Easy system to set up they are both freeware, someone just needs to set up a server so others can join. You would need a mic and to talk to each other and doesnt cost a thing.

Little Red ill send ya my email so I can give you more on it. Talking realtime on this would be quicker then posting messages back and forth.

teamspeak site to download the software is

http://www.goteamspeak.com

LittleRedWoodshop
04-23-2008, 05:23 AM
looking for input... but it's a start.

Please email questions to the email address on that site.

www.CncArtGuild.com (http://www.CncArtGuild.com)

bensmink
04-23-2008, 07:55 AM
Thanks Jason,
If you need any help from my area (Birmingham, Alabama) please feel free to ask. You took the bull by the horns so maybe some of us can pitch in and help.
Bob Ensminger (bensmink)
bensmink@bellsouth.net

Steven Alford
04-23-2008, 09:47 PM
Good job Jason, I can't believe you got the site up that fast. How long did you work on it??

Steve

badger
04-23-2008, 09:55 PM
If you havent signed up yet head on over and get registered.

ScottS
04-23-2008, 10:25 PM
I'm There.
Well should be in a short while.

ChrisAlb
04-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Yep, me too.

hotpop
04-23-2008, 11:03 PM
Thanks Jason,

I hope the CNC Art Guild WEB is successful. I just signed up too.

Deolman
04-24-2008, 12:49 AM
I have thrown my hat in the ring so you now have at least one representative in Utah now. It will be interesting to see where this leads to.

BTW, when I bookmarked it , it showed up as thelittleredwoodshop.com.

LittleRedWoodshop
04-24-2008, 01:08 AM
of all thank you all very much for the compliments... Steven I didn't sleep the other night. 14 Members in 11 states.

The success of that page and the CNC Art Guild of America is going to depend on all of you, use the email info to contact people in your area and start forming Chapters.

As for the domain, I am having trouble with the redirect, as it sits it is working. I have been on the phone with my service provider today and they are trying to figure it out. Sorry for any confusion this is causing.

We hope to have a LIVE chatroom up and running in the next few days, would be a great place to plan meetings and do some training with everyone, Nationwide.

Also working on being able to host a Live Video Feed (internet) from my shop to be able to do a live video training... would only be able to do this every once in awhile. Keep your fingers crossed that this works out.

castingman
04-24-2008, 07:20 AM
Looks great all signed up !

Michael

The "DH"
04-24-2008, 07:41 AM
Well Done, The "DH" is now in too.

jerrbitt
04-24-2008, 09:15 AM
of all thank you all very much for the compliments... Steven I didn't sleep the other night. 14 Members in 11 states.

The success of that page and the CNC Art Guild of America is going to depend on all of you, use the email info to contact people in your area and start forming Chapters.

As for the domain, I am having trouble with the redirect, as it sits it is working. I have been on the phone with my service provider today and they are trying to figure it out. Sorry for any confusion this is causing.

We hope to have a LIVE chatroom up and running in the next few days, would be a great place to plan meetings and do some training with everyone, Nationwide.

Also working on being able to host a Live Video Feed (internet) from my shop to be able to do a live video training... would only be able to do this every once in awhile. Keep your fingers crossed that this works out.

I'm missing something -- namely the site to go and sign up.

Kenm810
04-24-2008, 09:53 AM
jerrbitt,

It's post # 36 of this thread www.CncArtGuild.com (http://www.CncArtGuild.com) http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

fwharris
04-24-2008, 10:11 AM
I signed up yesterday. Site looks great! Wish my site was that easy to set up!

BTW, When you add to your favorites you can change the name/description of the link in the pop up window or do an edit.

[BTW, when I bookmarked it , it showed up as thelittleredwoodshop.com.[/QUOTE]